Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee injuries suck.  (Read 2221 times)

Offline dain

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee injuries suck.
« on: November 20, 2006, 02:08:53 AM »
So obviously you are here on this board because you have had a knee injury, and it sucks. I've been going through it for a while now and have many reasons why it is crappy!  Anyways for school I have to do an oral presentation on something and I am gonna do it on why knee injuries suck. I thought if you wanted to you could post something about why it has sucked for you and it could make my presentation even better. I definitely have lots of reasons but I'm sure you have different ones that I haven't thought of or experienced. So help out a fellow geek and post why knee injuries suck, you can even vent a little while you are at it!! I am not sure if this is in the right place for this so if its not a mod can move it and that would be fine.

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Knee injuries suck.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 04:25:57 AM »
While I agree that knee injuries suck, and the biggest thing for me was that I wasnt able to be as active as I have been, There is a good side to knee injuries. 

I tore my ACL playing netball and had to have a reconstruction.  It put me out of all sports for nearly 2 years.  For someone that played up to 6 games of netball a week, umpired netball, played 2 lots of tennis a week amoung other sports, it was a real let down to have to stop all these sporting activities while I found out what was wrong with my buckling knee.  Now that it is fixed, the worst bit is retraining my mind to trust that the knee is fixed after so long compensating for it.  Im slower and less agile then I was, and have to work on that still, but work on it I am and Im so glad to be able to play sport again.  I'm getting back into it and will hopefully be back to the same level as before in a couple of months. 

But having said that, if it wasnt for my knee injury I would not have learnt a lot about myself and how I deal with the frustration of not being able to play sport.  I learnt a lot about my tolerance, and had to work of developing patience and undrestanding while recovering.  I also learnt a great deal about knee anatomy.  So overall Im not too annoyed that I have had a knee injury, I mean no one wants to have a knee injury, but I figure why focus on the negatives of knee injury?? It is way better to focus on the positives.   We are all handed these chalenges in life for a reason I think.

Alla
Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05
Cleared to return to sport May 06

Offline dain

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 04:34:06 AM »
But having said that, if it wasnt for my knee injury I would not have learnt a lot about myself and how I deal with the frustration of not being able to play sport.  I learnt a lot about my tolerance, and had to work of developing patience and undrestanding while recovering.  I also learnt a great deal about knee anatomy.  So overall Im not too annoyed that I have had a knee injury, I mean no one wants to have a knee injury, but I figure why focus on the negatives of knee injury?? It is way better to focus on the positives.   We are all handed these chalenges in life for a reason I think.

You know thats an excellent point. I often over look the positives. I believe knee surgery truly has changed me as a person for the better, but I always get wrapped up in how it ruined "everything". Thanks for the reply, maybe I'll just talk about everything involved and tell about the positive things that have come out of it as well.

brianne

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 06:30:24 AM »
Well, I must honestly say that I try to focus on the positives in every situation.  However, I would be lying to say that knee injuries are not a bummer, but I always remind myself that it is not the end of the world. 

I have had problems with my knees since I was 12, so being 24 now that makes half of my life with knee problems.  I think the hardest thing for me is the loss of independance.  I am less than four weeks out from a TTT which is a pretty major surgery.  I cannot do many things for myself.  I am unable to drive, so I have to rely on others for rides to work, PT, and Church.  My parents and friends have to go grocery shopping for me.  I cannot do much cleaning in my own house, so again I have to rely on others.  I cannot do yard work, so I have to have someone from my Church rake my leaves.  For someone who has always been super independant in everything that I do, this has been a difficult adjustment.

I am an active person, but the thought of not doing all of the things I love to do is not hard for me.  I lost my only sister three years ago in very tragic circumstances, so compared to losing my sister, nothing is that bad.  It would be nice to be able to ski, run, hike, and climb again, but if I never do any of those things again it will be fine. 

With that said, my down time has given me a lot of time to reflect.  As people, we do not have a chance to grow on the "sunny days".  It takes some "rainy days" to help us grow into better people.  Whatever the outcome of my knee injuries and knee surgery, I want to take it all in stride and focus on the bigger picture.

I hope this helps, if you have any questions, let me know.

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 10:43:33 PM »
Hey Dain,

Why dont you start your presentation by saying that your knee injury was a bummer, but here's why it was a good thing and explain some of the things that you have learnt from the experience.  As a teacher I'd be more interested in hearing about how you have grown personally through the experience then hearing you list off why it was such a bummer (and appear to be whinging about it).... and Im sure that your audience would prefer it too.  Plus if you can get yourself into a positive frame of mind, recovery is a lot easier.

Good luck!.... let us know how the presentation goes!
Cheers
Alla
Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05

Offline luckygrandma

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 11:43:47 AM »
So obviously you are here on this board because you have had a knee injury, and it sucks. I've been going through it for a while now and have many reasons why it is crappy!  Anyways for school I have to do an oral presentation on something and I am gonna do it on why knee injuries suck. I thought if you wanted to you could post something about why it has sucked for you and it could make my presentation even better. I definitely have lots of reasons but I'm sure you have different ones that I haven't thought of or experienced. So help out a fellow geek and post why knee injuries suck, you can even vent a little while you are at it!! I am not sure if this is in the right place for this so if its not a mod can move it and that would be fine.

Why don't you just go through and read what people have written and print out the ones you like best. The board is full of them and you'll have a great presentation. Make sure you mix some positive reports in there as well.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 11:48:20 AM by luckygrandma »

Offline raquetball1

• Forum Faithful
  • RACQUETBALL--WALL TO WALL--INSANITY
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 06:29:24 PM »
Hey Dain,

Yeah, knee injuries suck big time.  You feel discouraged about what you can't do now without effort and some courage that you could do before without a thought.  But Alla, a real spiritual motivator on this site, is quite right.  Although I severed an acl then an lcl in one leg and left that unrepaired, it wasn't until I went through acl recon after tearing other acl that knees became a problem for me.  I was almost 51 when I had recon done and although I have been a tough, active person all my life, my inner fortitude was never tested the way it was in rehab after recon.  I've accomplished much academically and had an intellectually satisfying career in a demanding job, but I never felt better about myself than I did pushing through the agony of six months formal rehab then (and stilll) trying to recover from some torn muscles in reconned leg a year later.  When I step on the racquetball court now and the match begins, an inner smile breaks out that says, yesssssssss, I worked hard to get back here and regardless of the outcome of the match I feel blessed just to have that racquet strapped to my wrist, court shoes crank-laced up, sweat bands in place, crouching down in the service area and calling out:  "New game!  Zero--Zero!"   
autopatellar acl recon Nov. 2004 at age 51

Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech.

Offline DeborahinNC

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 06:57:37 PM »
Hi Dain,

I agree with Alla and with you.  Knee injuries are one of the worst - its a poorly designed joint that gets a lot of wear and tear.  Here is what I've learned.  First, I would have denied this to the hilt but I am partially defined by my career.  I work as paramedic and love it.  I now have an injury that may make me change careers (if next surgery in January doesn't fix the problem).  I spent a fair amount of time being sad and probably depressed.  I realized, it was not just the constant pain - which needs to end but the fact that I was feeling lost.  What and who was I going to be if I could not continue to work in this field.

Well,  you can pass on that there is life after a knee injury.  I do not have any illness that is going to take my life.  I'm only 51 and plan on having a long time left.  I have a mind that works well (although some of my co-workers may dispute this sometimes).  I have a family that loves me and friends that love and care for me.  I will be very sad if I have to leave this career but I realize that I can be anything.  In fact at 51 I'm back in school working on my BS and if I make it through this probably an MS.   I don't know if I would have had the push to go back to school if this had not happened.  Would I rather have healthy knees - YES.  Will I work through this - you bet.  I am trying to keep this all in perspective and belive me I'm not always positive and I do feel sorry for myself sometimes but it does not last for long.

I hope all goes well for you and I'd be interested in seeing what you have to say after you give the report.  There are lots of things that make you stumble through your life and for me this is just one more - I'll get over it and keep going forward.  Afterall the alternative really sucks. 

Take care and let us know what happens with this.  Deborah

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 05:14:24 AM »
Hi Deb,

This is the attitude that Im talking about.  Bet you'd never thought of going back and callenging yourself with a BS if you hadnt had the knee injury..... at least you may have thought about it, but not done it.  There are positives to everything that happens to us..... just sometimes takes a little while to realise it.  Well done and good luck with your BS!!

Alla

Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05

Offline Caggie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 10:45:42 AM »
Ok on a diff note, i would like to add my experiences of other people around me when ive had knee problems.  What is to be considered is not only yourself but the effect it has on the people around you!! Ive spend a lot of time on crutches and quite frankly im amazed at the reception received by people when you arent as mobile as normal.

Until i had the problems i did i never appreciated how difficult the simple things in life are!! Like picking things up off the shelf in a shop when youre on crutches, getting through doors, going up stairs, getting in cars, getting in and out of the bath!   Im amazed at the kindness and helpfullness of random strangers, people seem to go out of their way to help you by opening doors, helping with shopping etc, its restored my faith in people thats for sure!!

Saying that it is also a strain on immediate family and friends around you. Not only do you need loads of help but you feel like youre a pain in the bum and that everyone is getting fed up with running around after you.  A big part of why knee injuries suck is lack of independence and having to accept help when its offered and knowing when to ask for help and not try and do things yourself.  For the proud amongst us this isnt an easy thing to do!!

Good luck with your presentation, You should definitely point out the positives and negatives though! I agree with Allas comments, when the things you take for granted are taken away from you, you have to focus on the positives.  I feel a stronger person for it thats for sure and am proud of myself that i can actually laugh at some of the situations i got/get into cos of my darn pesky knee

Caggie

xx
L/K lateral Meniscectomy 19/08/05
L/K lateral Meniscectomy 07/10/05
L/K Open lateral cyst excision 11/11/05
L/K lateral Meniscectomy  in 2007
L/K lateral Meniscectomy 03/08/12
L/K lateral Meniscectomy/Chondroplasty 25/04/16

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 11:39:36 AM »
Yup, they do, worse for some than others. But as a retired teacher if I were going to hear what you had to say about your knee injury & heard nothing but the negative side of it, I'd be a bit dismayed that you'd failed to see the more positive side of things. I know it's difficult sometimes to weed thru the bad to see any good but just reading what so many people have offered already, you ought to come up with a durned good speech. As so many have offered, combine & you'll do just great. You might even talk some about the structure of the knee or better still present a visual along with your speech. That way you'll really draw in your audience...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline DeborahinNC

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 05:49:46 PM »
Hi Alla,

Right you are!!  I thought about going back to school for a long time but never moved on it until...  Funny how life makes you do things you keep putting off.  I'm to young to retire and to old to work at a fast food place so my options are school and school.   Take care - Deborah

Offline dain

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 08:51:17 PM »
Thanks sooo much to all of you! You guys are awesome. I have got some great stuff out of this thread. I'm going to focus more on the positives and mix in some of the not so good stuff too. I'm also going to take in some of my braces and some knee pics or posters that I can find to make it more "exciting" haha. But I am for sure going to have a way better presentation because of you guys!  ;D

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 11:18:35 PM »
Way to go, dain! Your thinking's gone 180 from negative to positive! Bet you'll have a great presentation...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 04:00:04 AM »
Sounds great Dain.....

Sounds to me that you are beginning to see how your knee injury can teach you things about youself....... and that is great.  Sounds like your presentation is going to be fantastic..... good luck with it and let us know how you go.

Generally, my way of thinking is..... you cant help the knee injury.... so why sit around and beat yourself up about it..... make the most of a bad situation, and try to walk away from it with something positive. 

Deb, Im a bit similar to you..... I had been putting off starting a family because it meant I had to take a season off netball.  WIth my knee being reconstructed I took the opportunity to start a family and now have a beautiful 10 week old baby girl...... something that I would have put off for a lot longer if not for the knee injury!!  And I will be back playing netball this season too....
So it is good all round!
Alla
Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05