Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: advice needed  (Read 3189 times)

Offline wilfblade

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
advice needed
« on: November 19, 2006, 09:21:54 AM »
 ???

Just been told by my consultant that i would be better off having a pkr than a hto.  I have bad wear on the lateral outer of my left knee.  Has anyone out there got any advice or experience of anything similar.  The consultant says the hto has a high chance of failure?
cheers wilf

knee deep in Goo

Re: advice needed
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 04:45:59 AM »
My doctor and I ..talked many times about HTO and PKr and TKR.

Your leg must be in some type of vargus position. I am guessing.   I suggest you google HTO  and speak with a doctor who specializes in HTO's  not just PKR's

Only you can decide in the end what you are willing to do as far as rehab and what will be the best long term solution for you.

I think that maybe you can find a doctor to do a HTO and ACI if your a canidate..    Please ask how many compartments are bad  in your knee.   

Also you really havent provided much detail.. and  this is the internet and  you really should work with a doctor you trust..

Offline surprise

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 06:09:13 PM »
Hi Wilfblade.  I had my arthroscopy done a couple of weeks back to do a ACI but I was told after surgery I am not suitable (I no nothing more) other than my knee is far worse than expected (it was already level 4-5 athritis) .  I'm 34 and my consultant still is insisting on a HTO (Open wedge).  As far as I am aware he's against PKR or TKR because of my age and is putting this off until absolutely necessary.  I see him again on monday 4th December, so hopefully I will know more then.

Like Knee Deep in Goo suggests... its your call at the end of the day if options are avaialable... you need to ask what the pros and cons are for each option.

I've done a question list which I am taking along with me on Monday.

Good luck
b 070772. HTO OW 15/12/06.  Finding out the rest of my previous treatments from my medical notes.

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 07:52:51 PM »
I am 37 and .. I am proof that if you are the right canidate..  They will do a TKR.. and not allow you to suffer in pain

Offline 2ndmate

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 05:01:03 AM »
Isn't this forum great!

When "deciding" between 2 very different procedures, ask lots of questions.  My OS is going to do an exploratory arthroscope, and then decide between a TTT and HTO.  Here are some of the questions I asked, altered to fit your situation.

WHAT MAKES ME GOOD CANDIDATE FOR HTO SURGERY?
WHAT MAKES ME BAD CANDITATE OR WOULD DISQUALIFIY ME FOR HTO?
WHAT MAKES ME GOOD CANDIDATE FOR TKR? 
WHAT MAKES ME BAD CANDITATE OR WOULD DISQUALIFIY ME FOR TKR?
IF YOU FIND TEARS, LOOSE BODIES, SCARS, DURING ARTHROSCOPY – STILL DO HTO or TKR?
IF NOT GOOD CANDIDATE FOR HTO, THEN DO TKR SURGERY? 
OPENING OR CLOSING WEDGE HTO SURGERY - and why?

For each surgery - recovery and rehab protocols.
Success rates for people similar to you.
Recovery time for people imilar to you.

I also asked if I could watch - which I was told (as I expected) that I could only watch the arthroscope part.  My idea is that I would be awake when the decision was made between the surgeries, and would not wake up "surprised". 

For me, the decision between the TTT and HTO will depend on what shape the my kneecap is in, and - for the HTO - whether I have good lateral tibia surfaces and good lateral meniscus.

Keep asking questions until you are satisfied - the doctor is paid to take care of you.

Good luck.

Offline UofRSpider

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 11:08:55 AM »
???

Just been told by my consultant that i would be better off having a pkr than a hto.  I have bad wear on the lateral outer of my left knee.  Has anyone out there got any advice or experience of anything similar.  The consultant says the hto has a high chance of failure?
cheers wilf

Yes my OS recommended the same thing except my problem was medial rather than lateral.  I chose the PKR route and had good pain relief for approximately one year  :(
I now struggle with premature joint failure and have a considerable about of chronic pain and major decisions to make over the next few years (at 36 years old).  I guess what I am trying to say is both surgeries are major surgeries...please consider the complications that can be associated with each and talk all this over with your OS.  Good luck.
October 2004 - Microfracture
May 2005 - PKR
October 2006 - Lateral release

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 05:46:30 PM »

Actually I think it was easier to recover from the TKR than my first surgery.   Pain levels are lowering by the day..  Getting stronger  and have a good leg to stand on for once.

I think I would be heart broken if I had a PKR that failed and had to do the chronic pain thing again.  So I wish you luck and truelly understand pain

I started injections in my left knee and they seem to be doing what they claim to be doing....   I was a bit freaked thinking they wouldnt work.. and I would have another horror story starting.

support