Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: From start to finish.. CaReS in US...clinical trial..  (Read 26204 times)

Offline kalyjoe

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: From start to finish.. CaReS in US...clinical trial..
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2006, 01:42:18 PM »
Oh Faith.  Another surgery for you?  I'm sorry!  Well, I know you will make it through and be your usual positive self.  And of course, I'll be here to encourage you and maybe send you some Reese's.   ;D  Chocolate can cure anything, right?  (I sent you an email.)

Gammy, you are lucky to have gotten a new immobilizer.  It's amazing how cheap these things are, and yet...they charge so much for them.  Crooks! I suppose the NHS has good and bad points to it, but yes...that is definitely one of the good things.   I'm jealous about that.  I know I'm stuck with mine for the long haul unless I want to pay my share for a new one and with the way the bills are piling up, I think not.  I guess I am taking a chance by sleeping without out, but I've found I can really stretch my leg out and straighten it much better than when I'm wearing that.  So, that's my rationalization.  Of course, if I have issues or they found this failed, I will be kicking myself and blaming that.  I know they've had really good success though with everyone before us, so I'm staying optimistic.

Have a few last minute errands to run today and am not looking forward to fighting the crowds.  I also have to finish wrapping and make some food for later. 

Happy holidays!

Kristi
2 x 1.2 cm defect of right medial femoral condyle
Microfracture, right knee, October 18, 2004.
MACI using CaReS, same knee, November 30, 2006

Offline kalyjoe

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2006, 06:10:00 PM »
Well, I'm 1 month and 1 day post op today.  Had my appointment with OS and got some encouraging news.  They did an MRI and new cartilage appears to be filling in very nicely.  I'm now allowed to put a small amount of weight down while still using the crutches.  I've only got 3 more days on the CPM and then I can have them pick this thing up and hopefully never have to look at it again!  And the dreaded immoblizer?  Well, I still have to wear it until I have my full quad strength back.  :(  BUT, I wasn't yelled at too badly about not sleeping in it and was told that is fine.  They are very pleased that I now have full extension and my flexion is at about 100 degrees.  I'll be starting PT on January 9th to work on quad strengthing as well as a number of other issues such as patellar movement, more freely extending my leg and eventually getting to full weight bearing status.  I'm really psyched about all this because it's like finally things are moving forward.  As soon as I can get my full quad strength back, I will be able to finally ditch the crutches.  YES!  That light at the end of the tunnel is finally getting closer. 

I seriously cannot wait to just go shopping BY MYSELF and push a cart!  How sad is that?   ;D 

Kristi

Offline bioprof

• Regular Poster
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2006, 06:57:22 PM »
"I seriously cannot wait to just go shopping BY MYSELF and push a cart!  How sad is that?"

Good for you!  Not sad at all.  It wasn't until about 13 weeks post-op (Carticel ACI) that I was strong enough and got up enough nerve to throw my cane in the cart and push it around the grocery store.   It wasn't the smoothest walk, but at least I wasn't in one of those damn electric carts.  Talk about liberating.  We must celebrate these small, but significant mileposts.

I'm now walking pain free (still a bit stiff and achey at days end though).  But no more clicking or catching.

Here's to your continued speedy and full recovery!

Mike
8/05 - Cortisone injection, L. knee
10/05 - Meniscus repair, microfracture, L. knee
7/06 - Arthroscopy, Carticel biopsy, L. knee
8/06 - ACI, L. knee
5/07 - L. knee arthroscopy; post-ACI "clean up"

Offline kalyjoe

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2006, 08:03:11 PM »
Mike,

Congrats on walking pain free.  How nice that must feel and I look forward to doing the same in the near future. 

Do you know...I will not use those carts?  I just crutch all over the store.  I went shopping by myself right before Christmas and crutched with my pinkies while hanging stuff off the rest of my fingers.  I also had things looped over my arms and squeezed in between my arm and crutch.  I looked like a nut, but I tend to be a bit, ahem, hyper and those carts move too slow for me.  And yes, I agree we must celebrate these small victories.  I think I'm passed the worst of it. 

Thanks for the encouraging words!

Kristi
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 12:55:42 AM by kalyjoe »

Offline erinee

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2006, 09:17:16 AM »
Congratulations on your successes-looks like you're doing great!
37 year old physical therapist, Left lateral release '92, bilateral debridement and scope '04, bilateral patellar cartliage defects, denied ACI repeatedly by insurance.  Scope and debridement 12/06 L knee.Bilat patellar ACI with Fulkerson 4/23/07.

Offline gammyknee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2007, 12:24:52 PM »
Hi Kristi

Hope your Christmas and New Year went well. Really good news on things moving forward - I imagine that you are particularly looking forward to PT as you've been wanting to push yourself almost since Day 1 so it'll be great for you to see some real progress. Sorry about the immobilizer but in a way also kind of reassured as I was beginning to wonder why I would have to wear it until quad strength back while you were going to be able to ditch yours after a few weeks!! Also really good news about the results of the scan as I know you were a bit worried about leg extension and pain at the implant site so now you know things are going just as they should that must be really encouraging  :)  I'm having my scan in the next couple of weeks so fingers crossed. Just going to post on my thread.

Offline kalyjoe

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2007, 08:27:07 PM »
Thanks Gammy!  Hope you had a nice holiday as well.  Ours was okay....somewhat hard with the crutches, but we made it fun.  I decorated my crutches with green and red ribbon for Christmas and just changed it for New Year's.  I know...I'm weird like that.   ;D  We stayed in on New Year's obviously and it was sad to not be out dancing, but we had a little party with all our neighbors and the kids and that made it fun.   I plan on dancing as soon as I'm able to get up and around without these darn things!

Can't wait to see what your scan says.  I hope you get good news.

I had a GREAT day today.  I drove to the gym BY MYSELF and did some upper body work.  I did some lower body exercises as well, using the ball and bands to avoid having to weight bear on my leg.  It just felt so good to do some activity.  I have a call into my OS because I'm really wondering how slow I have to go with the weight bearing.  If it's a quad strength thing, I feel like I can get there rather quickly.  But, if it's something that could possibly compromise my implant, I want to take it slow.  And yes, I do have an appointment next week with a PT, but I'm not very confident in the advice s/he will give me since this whole thing is so new.  If anyone reading has any experience with M.A.C.I. and how long you were told to stay PWB, please post here and let me know.  I'm off to search for some answers myself.   I'm also trying to find some information regarding my scar.  It's not huge...only about 2 inches up and down, but I want to try to minimize it as much as possible.  I've been doing some research on scar massage and that seems to be very effective. 

My mental state is hugely improved due to the fact that I feel like I can at least get out a bit by myself.  Now that I'm PWB, I'm able to push a grocery cart and sort of limp around with that.  At least I feel somewhat independent.   ;)

Kristi
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 08:32:34 PM by kalyjoe »

Offline faith

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2007, 11:11:28 AM »
Kristi

What an encouraging post!  You seem SO much happier now - congratulations on gaining a bit of independence back.  As Mike said, every small success is a huge thing.  I have to say though, I built up a brilliant mental picture of you going round the store on crutches with stuff hanging off all your fingers and shoved under your arms - made me chuckle!   ;D

I'll e-mail you...

F x x
R knee arthroscopy 1991; tibial osteotomy 1992; metalwork removed 1993; arthroscopy and lateral release 2004; ossicle removal 2007; arthroscopic debridement 2010; PFJR 2012; scar tissue removal & debridement 2013

Offline kalyjoe

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2007, 03:15:42 PM »
Ha ha ha!  Yes Faith, I was quite a sight I'm sure.  I'm glad somebody got a kick out of it!  To be honest, on that day I was feeling pretty good because a few days before I had tried to shop alone and gotten very frustrated.  So, that was a small victory for me.

So, I got a new digital camera for Christmas and in honor of finally ditching the CPM machine, we took a pic of how happy I was to know this was my last time on it.  Thought I'd share it on here. 

You can see the dreaded, ugly immobilizer sitting next to me on the bed.  I have to confess, I didn't wear it at all yesterday.  I'm so ready to be done with it!

Here's me at New Year's on my decorated crutches.  Obviously, I didn't know my husband was taking this...thus the less then enthusiastic expression on my face.  Plus, my posture is awful as I was sort of hanging on the crutches at that point of the night trying to stay awake. 

Thanks for letting me share!

Kristi

Offline kalyjoe

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2007, 05:07:26 PM »
Well, I did too much.   :-[ 

Yesterday I used only one crutch and worked out at the gym.  Then I shopped last night for quite a few hours hitting all the New Year's sales.   I didn't put full weight on my bad leg or do any exercises to compromise it, but I think it was just too soon to go to one crutch and put that much pressure on my leg.  I'm not having knee issues...but my calf is excruciatingly sore!  I'm sure it's just the shock of suddenly being used and being used too much, but that doesn't make the soreness any better.  So, I'm back on two crutches today, totally NWB just to take the pressure off my leg and give it a break.  <sigh> I've said before I'm an impatient person, so I guess this was just a little reminder to take it slow.  I was so happy yesterday too....felt almost human being able to actually carry stuff and walk "somewhat" normal.  But...I'll get there eventually. 

I'm five weeks post-op and start PT on Monday. 

Kristi

Offline gammyknee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2007, 07:05:51 PM »
Hi Kristi

Sorry to hear about you leg being so sore but secretly really impressed with how much you are doing. I'm much more cautious but in some ways wish I was prepared to push myself a little bit more - I admire your determination and touch of rebellion  :)  I'm nowhere near being off my dependence on two crutches although I do feel that after I see my OS on Thursday I might be able to push on a bit more. However it might be an idea for you to take it easy for a few days - you've made such good progress in such a short time it would be a shame for you to have a setback now. Sorry if that sounds like lecturing you but it seems like we've been in this for a long time and I would really feel for you if you did hurt yourself.

Talking of hurt - hope everything goes OK with the PT. You didn't sound very confident and a bit sceptical but maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised and she'll tell you that you can fully weight bear and go back to the gym as much as you like - no I don't think so either. I know that i feel better after going to Physio because I feel like I'm making progress, if only slight, and pushing myself. Take care and hope the soreness has subsided. 

Offline faith

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2007, 06:25:57 PM »
Kristi

There's a reason why you're called a PATIENT when you've had an operation - because you have to BE PATIENT!   :D  You know me well enough to know that we're very alike, can't sit still for two minutes.  But try and take things easy, it'll come in its own time.  Christmas is over now, you've got no excuse to go rushing around! (Even if it is to the sales)   ;) 

On a lighter note, am LOVING the decoration on your crutches.  But I have to say, that CPM machine is as big as you are!

My surgery has been put back to the summer now.  Apparently my OS thought there was a 2-3 month waiting list; his surgery co-ordinator tells me it's more like 6 months, bless our NHS!

Take care of yourself and be kind to yourself

F x x x
R knee arthroscopy 1991; tibial osteotomy 1992; metalwork removed 1993; arthroscopy and lateral release 2004; ossicle removal 2007; arthroscopic debridement 2010; PFJR 2012; scar tissue removal & debridement 2013

Offline kalyjoe

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2007, 12:41:10 PM »
I'll be six weeks post-op tomorrow and I think things are going pretty well.  I'm using one crutch now or just limping without it and although my knee has some pain, I think it's due more to quad atrophy rather than any sort of implant pain.  I started PT on Monday and we worked on strengthening my quad. It's very discouraging to go from working out at the gym five days a weeks and having a nice size quad to watch yourself sitting on a table concentrating with all your might just to flex it.   ::)  It takes so much out of me and my knee was a bit sore after being there.   I've been doing my exercises at home as well and I'm confident that it won't be long before I can flex it at will and it will be back to it's old normal self.  It's like the PT (and many on here say) said....I have to "retrain" my quad.  I remember going through this with the microfracture, but the difference there was that I started PT immediately following the surgery.  Here...I'm already over 5 weeks out.   How is your quad coming Gammy?  I'm anxious for your appointment tomorrow...you better come on here immediately and report what he said.   :)

Oh Faith!  So sorry your surgery has been pushed back.  I envy that NHS sometimes b/c of the cost, yet from what so many people have said you certainly do sacrifice some things for that. I hope your knee doesn't give you too many problems until then.  Do you know how long you'll have to be on crutches?   

I'm feeling much more human and independent these days.  Yesterday, I even went to Old Navy without any crutch and although my limp is quite pathetic, at least I was able to carry things.  I didn't do major shopping, just had to return something...but hey...it's a start! ;D

Kristi

Offline kalyjoe

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2007, 11:50:28 PM »
PT told me today it's better to walk with a "normal" gait and use a crutch, then to use no crutch and limp.  SO.....back to the crutch.  It's fine.  It's better than two and it's better than being NWB.  And it does make sense....if I walk with a limp, I'm not using my quad anyway and then I just get used to walking like that.  Not sure how good that can be for my knee, yk?   I've been really focusing on making my bad leg walk right and the pain seems to be getting less severe.   PT said she noticed a big difference in my quad today just from Monday, even though I really don't feel like I'm doing much yet.  But I guess comparing myself to even last week, I am.  So...just staying positive and hoping that all this will be worth it.   :)  Having even one crutch allows me to be somewhat more independent.  So, I can live with that. 

Kristi

Offline faith

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2007, 11:36:54 AM »
It won't be forever Kristi, stick with it...

Lots of love

F x x