Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: From start to finish.. CaReS in US...clinical trial..  (Read 26201 times)

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: From start to finish.. CaReS in US...clinical trial..
« Reply #120 on: July 14, 2008, 01:53:19 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for updating your thread and reporting your good news!!  It gives the rest of us hope.  I'm so glad to hear that you have been able to return to your normal activities!!! 

I got married 3 weeks ago.  It was a blast and overall my knee did pretty well on my honeymoon.  I was able to do a few hikes with really no pain in the cell transplant area, except for the occasional twinge of pain.  My knee swelled with all the walking on sand that we did and hiking.  I'm having more problems with the outside of my knee hurting verses the ACI site.  I think it might be time for my screws to come out. 

I hope you continue to have great success with your knee!! 
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline kalyjoe

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #121 on: August 07, 2008, 09:04:48 PM »
Guess who ran 3 miles today?   ;D  *does happy dance*

It was a mixture of slow jogging, sprints, and bleachers at the local track.  It. Felt. Great.

I've been able to jog for a few minutes here and there on the treadmill, but have been afraid to jog on the streets or outside because of the fear I'd stumble on something.  I've been wanting to do sprints, but had to wrap my brain around it and trust that my knee could do it.  I finally bit the bullet today....and my knee held up.  Towards the end (my last 2 laps) my knee felt tired.  Not sore, but just tired.  It almost wanted to give out a few times, so I know I pushed it.  I came home and iced it even though I had no pain and swelling.  But I figured, after what I had done to it..it deserved it. 

I just finished cutting the grass and doing yard work for the last two hours and my knee is still not swollen, sore, or warm. 

Dare I to hope that I've finally gotten over the hump? 

Casey, congratulations!  I'm hopping over to your thread now to catch up on your progress.

Kristi
2 x 1.2 cm defect of right medial femoral condyle
Microfracture, right knee, October 18, 2004.
MACI using CaReS, same knee, November 30, 2006

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #122 on: August 07, 2008, 10:55:58 PM »
Kristi,

That is FANTASTIC news!!!!  I'm so glad for you.  I know that you have been waiting a LONG time for your knee to feel good enough to run and to run without pain.  No pain or swelling is just great news.  I guess it goes to show that with time the knee just keeps on improving.  Congrats on getting back to what you love.

LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline faith

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #123 on: August 16, 2008, 10:08:32 PM »
Kristi you don't do things by halves do you?!  But anyway, congratulations on being able to push it that far - let's hope it lasts.   :D

Went back to see my OS a couple of weeks ago - he says I'm twisting again; not sure if that will mean another osteotomy in the future.  I thought once you'd had it done you wouldn't need it doing again.  But I've got to have 12 weeks intensive PT stretching exercises and he's going to see me again in December and decide what to do next.

Watch this space! (Well actually if there's anything too exciting to report I'll start a new thread - don't want to take over this one!)  Anyway, think it's about time you renamed this thread the Kalyjoe Success Story!!

Lots of English love

F x x x
R knee arthroscopy 1991; tibial osteotomy 1992; metalwork removed 1993; arthroscopy and lateral release 2004; ossicle removal 2007; arthroscopic debridement 2010; PFJR 2012; scar tissue removal & debridement 2013

Offline kalyjoe

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #124 on: November 29, 2008, 10:30:31 PM »
Had my two year checkup on Wednesday. Things are going GREAT! ;D OS is very happy with how my knee looks and with the amount of activity I'm able to do with it. I've been running on the treadmill about 5 days a week on an average of 2-3 miles. I've really upped the intensity and duration over the past month and the more I do and the better my knee holds up, the more confident I feel about it. I was worried about how much I'm using my knee as I know some people have advised me to "go easy" on it or to not resume my normal pre-injury activities. I expressed this to OS and he assured me that I am able to do whatever I feel comfortable doing. He said the whole point of the CaReS procedure was to get people back to their normal activity level and he is pleased with where I am at. I truly appreciate how aggressive he is. As far as the knee itself, I do sometimes have pain in the back of it after running or walking in heels for a long period of time. When this happens, I just back off a bit or take a break. I don't want to chance another injury. It sometimes feels warm after a lot of activity, but generally there are no symptoms like swelling or pain.

Re: CaReS study. He said out of the 9 patients who he performed the surgery on, one has had to have a partial knee replacement procedure b/c the CaReS failed. He said he has two people who are doing great; me being one of them and a younger kid about 22 years of age who has resumed all normal activity with no issues whatsoever. He said the rest fall somewhere in the middle. As far as his opinion of this procedure, he said he defininitely sees it as superior to normal A.C.I. surgery. He said he has seen a lot less complications during the aftercare (re: having to go back in and "clean things up"). As far as where the study is at: no phase II has started yet as they are waiting for the complete three years to make a decision. The FDA did not approve another phase until then. So...we wait one more year. I certainly hope to be doing as well as, if not better than, I am now.

It is very encouraging to go see your OS to simply fill out some paperwork and tell him how great things are going. :D I hope to not see him again until next year for my 3 year follow up, where I'll get another MRI.

Good luck to the rest of you. There is hope!!!

Kristi

Offline thevoice

• Regular Poster
« Reply #125 on: December 02, 2008, 05:30:46 PM »
i wonder if it will ever be approved by the FDA or if the company behind it would back out as Neocart is a a 3rd generation ACI  I think and is close to phase 3 trials.

Excellent news by the way on your knee, always good to hear good news storys.

Offline kalyjoe

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #126 on: January 14, 2010, 12:52:40 AM »
I almost forgot about this place.  ;D

Went for my 3 year check up and last appointment for the trial. Had an MRI and exam. Everything looks good. Cartilage is filled in. I'm good to go.....hopefully I won't need to see him again.

As for me personally...I'm doing great. There is nothing I don't do now because of my knee. I run a few times a week, even considering doing a half marathon this summer. Squats, lunges, plyos, jumping, starting and stopping abruptly. I can do it all. It feels great to feel so strong and capable and not be focused on my knee so much. There are still moments of pain or times where I feel like my knee might "give out" but nothing that holds me back from what I want to do. I honestly feel as good as new.

So I guess this is my happy ending.

Good luck to you all.

Kristi

Offline faith

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #127 on: January 14, 2010, 07:43:07 PM »
Here's to happy endings!  Doesn't it feel great?!

Love as always

F x x x
R knee arthroscopy 1991; tibial osteotomy 1992; metalwork removed 1993; arthroscopy and lateral release 2004; ossicle removal 2007; arthroscopic debridement 2010; PFJR 2012; scar tissue removal & debridement 2013

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #128 on: January 14, 2010, 08:24:02 PM »
I love these endings so much! Thank you for remembering this forum  ;D

Room 101
February 1 2008 - left knee AMZ/LR/Debridement/ACI biopsy
December 2 2008 - left knee ACI - Patela
May 25 2011 - Left knee mfx - trochlea  (ACI growth looked "pristine"), Right knee ACI biopsy
September 5, 2012 - Right knee AMZ/ACI - patella

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #129 on: January 15, 2010, 01:46:58 AM »
Thanks for your good news!  It's really great to know that you've returned to 'normal life' and free of being focused on the knee.  Gives everyone else hope!

Thanks again!
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope AIR & LR.

Offline lizonka

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #130 on: January 21, 2010, 12:57:54 PM »
your story gives us all hope! :)