Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: steri strips  (Read 1656 times)

Offline ibreakhearts66

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
steri strips
« on: November 22, 2006, 03:28:41 AM »
I just have a question re: steri strips and sutures. I know my dr is using steri strips, but I was wondering, for all of you who have been scoped, was that in addition to stitches? And also, for those of you who have had a meniscal repair with an incision for the repair, was the sutured, steri stripped, or both?
16 years old

8-03 unhappy triad LK, undiagnosed by an idiot of an OS so now i wear a donjoy
PFS for the lasat 7 years or so
10-06 Cortizone shot LK
11-06 Scope for torn meniscus RK
3-07 right ankle recon

knee deep in Goo

Re: steri strips
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 03:38:38 AM »
I had two stiches . one in each pothole..  After the stiches taken out. about a week.. Thats when the steri strips had been given ..

You will most likely have a big ace bandage.. around your knee.. and a gauze pad.. and .. maybe an Kyro cuff attached.   when you get out of sugery..

I was allowed to take a quick shower the next day..  I mean it was quick.. and I wonder how the hell I climbed into that tub to even take a shower

They will inject saline into your knee.. so you may have watermellon knee as well.  Just keep the ice on.. and the compression ice cuff on ..  if they send you home with it.. its the most lovely thing in the world. 

Offline kittent1211

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 03:41:37 AM »
I had a couple of stitches but they were the kind that desolve by themselves.  I  also had the stri-strips.  My doctor changed those a week after my surgery and put new ones on and he told me to leave them on until they fall off on their own.

Offline Kai

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 03:47:32 AM »
I had steri strips on the incision made to harvest the patella tendon as well as on the arthroscopic portholes.  They got pretty ragged after a while.  I would clip the loose ends off with cuticle scissors.  When I took showers I would pat them dry as opposed to rubbing.  They were on for over a month and I am sure that is one of the reasons I have very small scars.
ACLR - (patellar BTB autograft) left knee - May 31, 2006
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Feb 20, 2008
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Aug 11, 2008

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 05:15:49 AM »
I"ve had steri strips for all 5 of my surgeries.  This was in addition to having dissolving stiches on the inside of my knee.   With my incisions from my TTT, I too had the steri strips with the internal dissolving stitches.  They were super easy to take care off and I didn't have to do anything with them...except wait for them to fall off!

Hope surgery goes well for you!
~Mandy
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

support