Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Lateral Release & Phyical Therapy Questions  (Read 1682 times)

Offline whatsername

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Lateral Release & Phyical Therapy Questions
« on: November 16, 2006, 02:18:41 AM »
I just had surgery for a LR & a meniscus tear on my lft knee. Tomorrow Nov 15, 2006 will be 1 wk. I have lots of brusing on the left side of my knee, it keeps changing everyday, like it gets worse. Is this normal? I am using crutches still, but its really hard for me to get around, because my left leg doesnt want to move, only my foot. So its really hard for me to get to where I'm going. I stoped taking the vicoden, because of the side effects. Motrin and the perscribed asprin helps the pain. The pain isnt all that bad, but there are those bad days when it is. But I handle it only taking the motrin. What my main concerns are; are the swelling, brusing and walking. It looks like I have no knee cap. My whole upper part of my leg is twice the size of my right leg. Is this normal? The walking is the most difficult. I use the crutches, but my husband has to help me get up from wherever I'm laying. & That's all I can do is lay straight out. just keep my leg straight. should i be doing this? or should i try doing something else? That wouldnt be part of the brusing would it? Its like my brain forgot that I have a lft leg. Is this normal? I havent started PT yet. My knee doc gave me a perscription for it, but I was never told when i should go. Then on top of all that I'm going out of town next wk. So should i wait to start PT? Are there any exercises that maybe I could do in the mean time? I'm curious about this whole thing so anything anything you guys could tell me on whatever would be much help, & I would be much appreciative. So please & thanks.

whatsername
ps please forgive me if i rambled, just kinda in the blue about all this.  :-\
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 02:22:24 AM by whatsername »

Offline itigo

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: Lateral Release & Phyical Therapy Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 08:02:06 AM »
I am going for the same surgery next week. Having read this site lots, I have found the rehab page which is fab..... look at this http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/html/gym/gym_menu.html and read all the links on the left hand side. It seems the most important thing is to keep the leg moving so as not to let scar tissue form.

I hope this helps.

If you are worried, talk to your OS too.

Itigo
1990 dislocated LK in hockey
1990 arthroscopy - debridement, cartilage removal
05 LK unstable and painful
May 06 dx tilting kneecaps
Nov 06 arthroscopy and open LR
Oct 07 debridement arthroscopy
Sept 09 - May 13 subluxing frequently
May 13 TTT and MPFL reconstruction

Offline lgeorge106

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 11:46:40 AM »
Are you icing and elevating your knee?  It sounds like you have lots of post-operative swelling.  If you aren't icing and elevating you need to be!!!  The swelling alone will inhibit movement in your knee which will then shut down the quads (why you can't lift it) in addition to all of the "controlled trauma" from the surgery.  It is VERY important to get the swelling down ASAP and to get into PT.  When elevating your knee, make sure you don't just have pillows below your knee but below your ankle as well.  You need to get the knee above your heart and you need it to be straight.  You don't want to elevate with the knee bent.  I came out of surgery with my knee packed in ice packs.  The hospital gave me extras so I would always have a cold set in the freezer.  If you don't have the ice packs, use frozen veggies.  You really need to ice!

Call the doctor and ask when you should start PT.  I was in PT 24 hrs after my last surgery.

Check with your doctor before starting any other exercises!
1984 - L knee scope
1985 - L knee LR
12/15/2005 - R knee LR
03/14/2006 - R knee chondropasty and synovectomy

Offline simplyjen

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 03:21:10 PM »
I also just had a scope with lateral release on my right leg on November 2nd.  You can view my surgery diary in the post-op section of this site.  I went to see my OS 5 days after my surgery and he wrote me a script for PT 3x per week for 1 month.  I started PT exactly 7 days after my surgery.  The swelling is normal and I had a hard time especially for the 3 to 4 days after surgery.  I'm not 2 weeks post-op and still can't bend my leg much.  Everyone heals differently but ice, elevation and at home exercises are really important to keep up with.  Good luck in your recovery!

Simplyjen
- 42 y/o; chronic athletic overuse injury
- September '06; Cortisone Injection
- 11/02/06 Lateral Release and Chondroplasty of Patella
- 11/3006 Lysis of Adhesions
- 3 1/2 Months of PT
- upcoming Sympathetic Nerve Block on 3/06/07

Offline laforce18

• Regular Poster
  • Everything happens for a reason
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 06:47:43 PM »
RICE is the key for your swelling down.  Once the swelling is down, you will be able to do much more wtih your knee.  The other thing is that you have to be on top of your pt.  Call your doctor or medical group right away and get into it as soon as possible.  I waited for 3 weeks bec=fore i found out that there was a mistake made with my perscription.  Be agressive with your treatment because the docs have so many pateints to deal with and they make mistakes.  Good luck ;)
Shannon
ACL allograft 3-22-06
lat rel and manip 6-29-06
patella femoral arthrofibrosis
lat rel and chrondplasty  9-26-06
arthroscopic surgery scope 6-12-07
lateral meniscus tear, cartilage and scar tissue removal

Offline Garnet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 09:13:39 PM »
Hi whatsername,

Sorry to hear you are not feeling great.

Everyone below that has written to you have given you the answers.

My first op I had some swelling and i iced regular and elevated my leg.  You are only 1 week post op and if your OS hasnt given you any physio yet he will recommend it soon, so dont start without his advice.  I know my OS just got me to tense my quads through the day but with my first surgery I only had a lateral release and chondroplasty, no tears.  You sound like you maybe sitting with legs low.  I just had my second surgery which was much more involved a patella osteotomy. Like you my leg wont work and quads are not mobilizing yet.  It is a weird feeling isnt it, it is like the brain has forgotten to tell you how to lift your leg.  I am in a splint when I am allowed out but around the house I have to be careful without it because I if I fall I will break the leg and cause ligament damage, trouble  it is no good for me to wear it full time as my OS said  the leg wont get moving and the quad will waste more. I was lucky I was in hospital for a week and my leg was elevated in bed and I was on one of those chairs that raise your legs at the right height and of course the nurses iced me during the day so the swelling was minimum. I find the surgical socks (not stockings because it was too painful over my knee) helps me with swelling and of course reduces the risk of thrombosis.  But even before my surgery my bad leg was swelling due to the inflammation of the knee and my GP recommended them to wear and they helped. But my OS has said after two weeks post op I dont need them for any of those reasons now.

It doesnt sound like your OS has been very informative about your physio, when is your post op visit, because maybe he is going to tell you then what to do.  I have only been doing two exercises at this stage, but on Monday my OS has me going to my physio, and he said now the fun starts and I will be getting more exercises given to me.  Maybe electrical stimulation will be used for me as that is what my physio used to try and get my weak vmo going before the operation.

When in hospital I was of course initially on morpheine for nearly 3 days, but after that just taking di-gesics. I can still feel pain but its comfortable and lets me know I have to be careful crutching around the house. First op I was on panadeine forte, they seem to help better, eliminates the pain for a while but you cannot take as many as the di-gesics.  I was lucky he had to cut through some nerves so he said that would help reduce the pain after surgery.  I find it only very painful to try and get in the car and travel. I only have done that twice.

So keep your chin up, elevate the leg and ice that knee, ring your OS and let him know the swelling is there and if you have pain in your calf.

Take care and best wishes
Wyn :)
Lt TKR July 07
Lt thinning of patella,osteotomy, periosteal graft,
hole in patella,loss of cartilage Oct 06
Lt lateral patella release/chondroplasty Feb 06
Rt shoulder acromioplasty
Back injury,disc bulges,one degenerated
Hip bursitis
Cortisone lt knee,lt hip,rt sacrolliac joint,2 rt shoulder

Offline choclab

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 09:07:11 PM »
I agree that you should do what your OS says but it doesn't hurt to ask questions...I am now I month post-op medial and posterior partial menisectomy and lateral release...the first wk I had toe touches, no weight bearing at all when brace was off for bathing...wore brace otherwise..locked...leg elevated and ice,ice, ice...then at 2 weeks I could do weight bearing with brace on and crutches..still NWB without brace on...began PT 2x wk...third week I could unlock brace when sitting...4th week no brace when at home inside, no crutches unless wet outside...I did PT 6 weeks before surgery and therefore I feel that my muscles were in much better shape coming out of surgery...I was able to do straight leg lifts to put on my brace by day 3 post-op. Hope your recovery goes as well as mine...I did have my down days that first 2 weeks because I had to depend on others to drive me wherever I needed to go (surg on rt leg)...cabin fever bad...over that now....
ruptured tendon calf in Brazil in '03
medial and posterior menisectomy 10/06
lateral release patella 10/06

Offline whatsername

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 01:43:50 AM »
Thank you to all of you, for repliying to me. Everything you guys have said helped. I went to my doc and he said everything was normal, which was good to hear. I was supposed to start PT a wk after surgery and its now been 2 wks and still no PT. My husband is Military so it takes a few for them to get it going. But I think sometime this wk is when I will start. I want to get it started, cause the sooner the better. Is there any pain I will experience during PT? The swelling is still there but I think its starting to go down. The brusing has started to go away. I still have to use my crutches to get around, and I cant lift my leg. I can only slide my foot with socks on, on a tile floor. Is that bad? I think I'm going to be put in a cast. On my 1 wk follow up, the paper he gave to me, he had marked To Cast. So will I have a cast on my leg, or a brace? I was thinking and wouldnt that be a problem when I start PT and get to moving my leg? I mean if its cast'ed then I wont be able to. But w/ a brace I will right? My leg is sore, i dont really know why, is this normal? Also, they took my stitches out, but they put on butterfly stitches and its been 2 wks but there still on my knee. I thought by now they would of fallen off, but they havent, should i take them off? or will they fall off?

Again thanks for all your reply's, its helped tons.

whatsername
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 01:50:06 AM by whatsername »

Offline itigo

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 08:01:14 AM »
Hello

I don't really have any advice but thought I would say hello! I had my operation last Wednesday and wasn't allowed crutches - had to walk from 1 hour.My kneehas been really sore the last couple of days but i can see some definition coming back - I have a kneecap again! I didn't have bruising but I had an open procedure which I think lessens that. I have a big swelling over the site of the LR though. I look like a constipated penguin when I walk but hey ho!

Can't think why you would have a cast - seems a bit odd. Maybe someone else on here has an idea.....

I start private physio on Friday after the surgeon told me there's a 6 month waiting list in the public system!

Hope your knee gets better soon.

Itigo x
1990 dislocated LK in hockey
1990 arthroscopy - debridement, cartilage removal
05 LK unstable and painful
May 06 dx tilting kneecaps
Nov 06 arthroscopy and open LR
Oct 07 debridement arthroscopy
Sept 09 - May 13 subluxing frequently
May 13 TTT and MPFL reconstruction

brianne

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 02:49:19 PM »
It seems odd that you would be put in a cast this far after surgery.  I have never heard of being put in a cast after a LR, but I am not an expert.  After my LR I wasn't even put in a brace.  I was full weight bearing and walking without crutches by three weeks after my LR.  You had other work done, right? 

Good luck with your recovery.  Good luck when you start PT, it can be painful sometimes but is well worth the pain in the end.

Offline Garnet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 01:19:03 AM »
Hi everyone,

For my lateral release I was in a patella support brace for nearly eight weeks, but OS said he was protecting the last couple of weeks my ACL thats why it was on longer. I think maybe if you are right and you are having a cast maybe its because of another problem with your knee. Seems strange though, I was splinted straight away with my surgery I just had recently and am gradually taking away the use of the splint so the quads and vmo can start working again. I just have to make sure I have no falls or I can break my leg.

Hope whatsername you are keeping well.

Take care and best wishes
Wyn  :)
Lt TKR July 07
Lt thinning of patella,osteotomy, periosteal graft,
hole in patella,loss of cartilage Oct 06
Lt lateral patella release/chondroplasty Feb 06
Rt shoulder acromioplasty
Back injury,disc bulges,one degenerated
Hip bursitis
Cortisone lt knee,lt hip,rt sacrolliac joint,2 rt shoulder