Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Saw arthritis lady today.  Jee whiz, my body SUCKS  (Read 14437 times)

Offline Tizzy953

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Go AZ D-Backs/Cardina ls
Re: Saw arthritis lady today.  Jee whiz, my body S
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2002, 05:52:12 AM »
Rhea,
I am so sorry for all the pain and agony that these doctors have put you through.  It sounds like you have a great OT and you are about to see a great OS.  I hope the combination of these two people will help you greatly.  I am also sure that once you are put on the correct medications your days will be much easier.  

As for school, I know when I was on crutches periodically throughout high school they would let me leave early to get to class on time.  School officials are usually very understanding because they really want their students there as often as they can be.  I hope yours is only as understanding.  

It is just so unbelievable that you have had this much pain and nobody has discovered what was wrong.  But, as other people have pointed out, being female doesn't help out either.  I have had the same problem with my profession being in the US Army.  They look to females as being weak and kind of blow us off.  I am sure things will improve for you soon.  Until then plenty of rest and I hope your days are happier.

Kenzie
11/93-R ankle recon; 10/94-L ankle recon, 2/96-R shoulder stabilization+3 screws, 2/97-dislocated jaw, 11/99- LR L knee, 5/02-diagonstic scope L knee, 1/14/03- TTT+LR L knee, 9/9/03-L knee hardware removal, cartilage cleanup

Offline rhea

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.......
    • Budgie Love!
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2002, 06:55:40 AM »
Well so much for those stupid plastic finger splints.  I've got to get the metal ring splint ones. (www.silverringsplint.com for anyone plagued with RA that is interested)  These molded plastic ones are sweaty, bulky, uncomfortable, and have given me sores on my fingers.   :-[  I'll put up with them at night, but that is it.  

What type of drugs did they try you on Iona?  How long did it take for you to get relief?  My OT said that usually they start with a cocktail of 3 or 4 drugs and keep me on for 3-6months.  If I show improvement they'd gradually ween me off a few.  She said the main goal was to try to wipe out all the evil destroying protein and reprogram my body to stop making it.  And also, do you notice a big problem remembering things Iona?  I cannot remember one single thing!  I've spoiled the dog's chicken by forgetting to put it back into the fridge 5 days in a row!!  

You know, I'd love to see my GP and last OS up there under examination.  See them feeling vulnerable and scared for once being pummled with questions by lawyers. >:(  We'll have to see what happens, but sueing certainly does seem like something to consider.  

Helen, I am sorry to hear your left knee is becoming bothersome.  That's what kind of happened with mine.  As soon as I got the right all braced up the left throws a hissy fit!  Sibling rivalry I guess!  Stupid joints! >:(

Kenzie, I don't know how you juggle your knee probs with a career in the army!  I have a buddy who is in our canadian army, and he choose to specialize in the air division mostly to save his knees.  He's seen enough former ground troop buddies of his get joint replacements.

Thank you again everyone for your kind words.  Slowly but surely I will get through this.  Im a bit nervous of all the medications I'll be tried on at first (that is once I get in to see a rheumy) but hopefully they'll find me one that will do the job.  

Thank you again everyone!  I can't tell you how thankful I am to have wonderful friends to lean on in bad times.

(((hugs))) n' healing

rhea

7 yrs of knee troubles (maltracking, maybe plica).  
Finally found wonderful OS(#4)!
Diagnostic scope+biopsy schduled for sept 23,2003  
HMS/EDS III
Chronic joint pain,subluxations,microtraumas...

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2002, 01:57:58 PM »
Rhea,
I am glad that you finally got your splints and I am positive that these will help. I am also glad that your new "lady" is helping and also getting onto that GP of yours and give him/her a talking to. If your symptoms were as obvious as the appear to be I can't beleive he misssed it and just used the "teenager" excuse. Why is it that some medical persons believe that children and teens shouldn't be believed when they visit about pain and other problems like this. My neice (8) has been told that her pains are just being put on to get out of scholl (now that my disorder has been diagnosed and is known to be genetic we know that this is infact what she has been suffering , and also she LOVES school).
I am so glad that you are FINALLY getting treatment ot halt the progress of your disease. I too advocate you speaking to your school to get ALL of the help you can as this will make your life much easier as they will understand and can make allowances and your day easier. I hope that you get a really GREAT Rheumy (as you deserve to get a GREAT doc finally and I hope that your appointment with your new OS goes really well too.
Good luck Rhea. and keep in touch you know that I to understand as I too have been through this.
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 112
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2002, 07:17:04 PM »
Bit late to come into this conversation - but I think the word that Rhea was looking for in the beginning of the thread was 'Boutonnier Deformity' - just in case you want to look it up, Rhea.
KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru

Offline rhea

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Budgie Love!
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2002, 11:21:22 PM »
Thank you  KNEEguru for the spelling!  You know me and my thirst for researching.  ;D

rhea
HMS/EDS III

Offline martiniswiller

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2002, 04:59:51 AM »
Just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you, and hope you get all the answers, confirmation and help you need soon!!!
LR on left knee 8/01, LR & Chondroplasty on right knee 1/02.. had OATS procedure 9/26/02. Possible torn meniscus in left knee, but battling breast cancer, so knee is on hold!

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
  • glad to have my knee back again
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2002, 07:43:21 PM »
Rhea---

I am so sorry to hear of your news: on the plus side, at least you now know what is ailing you and I am sure that you will get the right medicines to put the RA into remission.
Good luck with you appt with Dr Fowler on Wednesday!
Take care

MJ
plica excision 05/01,  followed by OATS 09/02

Offline rhea

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Budgie Love!
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2002, 08:29:10 PM »
Thanks everyone for your goodluck and well wishes!  I've gotta pack tonight, and tomorow, bright and early we do the 6 hour drive to London (Ontario, Canada) to see Dr. Fowler.  Our appt is wednesday at 10.15, but from what I hear the clinic is usually 2 hours behind. After the appt the plan is to head back home, but if they want to do any tests or anything we'll have to stay for an extra day or two.  My aunt has a farm 45 mins out of London that we'll be staying at.  Im not looking forward to being packed into the oldsmobile with the dog and her kennel and both parents.  I'll be sure to bring my portable icing machine, drugs, and my books.  

Bye bye for now.  I will post as soon as I am back.

(((hugs))) n' healing

rhea
HMS/EDS III

support