Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee Hardware  (Read 5450 times)

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Knee Hardware
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2007, 02:34:37 PM »
Julie,

My pins look like a figure 8, kind of when you tie the bread bag. This is the part that is giving me a hard time so I'm not sure if he will take the wires out too or not. Yes it will be April sometime after Easter and he is very adament that he won't consider eary removal. It's for my benefit so I guess I'll just have to patient for a few more months. Patience is not one of my better qualities. HA HA

Peggy

Offline JulieB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2007, 03:46:18 PM »
Peggy,
 That is how I have to look at it too. April is only 4 months away. It is the tail end and will be over very soon.
Julie

Offline JulieB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2007, 12:49:09 PM »
Peggy,
 I am back with out the hardware. Honestly I only feel a little lighter in the knee. The sharp pains have gone too. I am still having problems bending and my exstention is probably never coming back. I may get all my bending back but time will tell. At this point I am really doubting it will come back. I was hoping for a miracle cure.  How are you doing?
Take care,
Julie
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 12:54:40 PM by JulieB »

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2007, 05:50:26 PM »
Julie,

Great!!! How was it? How long did it take you to heal after the removal? So you only feel a little lighter? Are you back in therapy? I know alot of questions but I just want to know what to expect. I am happy to hear that the sharp pains are gone, I am looking forward to that!!! Just keep pushing that leg.I hope the bending and flexing comes back soon.

I am having alot of pain from the wires pushing and scrunching together when I am practicing walking with 1 crutch or cane. I am still assisted by the pt. I can't walk on my own yet. It is scary learning how to walk all over again. Both pins are now protruding and my os will not take them out until after Easter. So I still have to put up with the pain for a few more months. Other than that my rom is at 100 degrees and it will stay there until after surgery too. I guess I really shouldn't complain, except for the fact that I am tired of the pain. Just like all the rest of us right?

Keep me posted and good luck!

Peggy

Offline JulieB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2007, 08:28:11 PM »
Peggy,
 I can tell a little difference. The surgery was much better then the repair surgery also it was outpatient. They just had me on pain killers. My knee still ackes though. My OS said it will take four weeks for my knee to completely heal. My scar does look alot better. After the surgery I was able to bend it a bit. Since I had the staples removed I have been working on my bend. He is not sending me to PT. I will just have to work it at home and see what I can get back.
 If I walk alot my knee gets does stiff. And snap crackle pop has become a normal thing. I have notice a burning in my knee , the OS said that was due to healing. I did look at the hardware and the wire had sharp edges to it when it is cut by wire cutters. No wonder it hurts.
 I have found that I don't really need the pain killers any more just aleve. The worse part is the fear of the surgery. Fire away at the questions. I will try to help the best I can. Good for you, walking witha cane and crutch! I know that is the most difficult part. I  know I still favor my bad knee alot.
Take care,
Julie
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 08:32:47 PM by JulieB »

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2007, 12:21:49 AM »
Julie,

I bet there's a big difference in the way your knee feels. The hardware hurts!! I know a person who has screws in her ankle and every now and then she can feel it. They will not remove the screws or she could not walk at all. I guess I am just curious as to what to expect. The surgery is always fearful but I think I'll dance into this one. Did the os remove all of the wire? How many screws did you have? I have pins no screws. I just want this done and over with. I just came from therapy and walking with a cane is a pain!!! I don't feel steady using it even though the therapist has my other hand. I am glad you are through with that and you can concentrate on getting the leg to bend and with the extension too. I am sure it will come in time. Don't overdo, it's so easy to get back into the swing of things and the next thing you know, you hurt the leg again. So take care of that leg and keep me posted on your progress.

Peggy

Offline JulieB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2007, 12:55:48 PM »
Peggy,
 I just had pins and wire too. I am like you I just want this over with. This week we got the stupid blizzard and now there is over a foot of snow! I was taking my kids to the sitters and could barely get through the snow. I was so unstable.
  Before you know it you will walk without the cane. That is what I found out. But I am also know to push myself to the breaking point. I have learned not to do that as much. Has your os talked to you about how much rom you will have after? I was wondering, my os said it would take time if it does come back. Do you know anyone with permanent loss? I am also afraid for my job. I have to lift heavy boxes and if I can't squat to pick up boxes I will have back problems or they will get rid of me. This is just an awful mess.
Take care,
Julie

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2007, 04:48:18 PM »
Julie,

My os said it would take time to get back rom, he said he wouldn't give me any guarantees on anthing until after the next surgery and pt reports. So I guess I am still in the dark. I can't believe you went out with all that snow. We got a couple of inches but alot of ice so it's really a mess out there. My husband couldn't get out of the driveway this morning so he is working from home. What kind of work do you do that you lift heavy boxes? Is there another position that you could transfer to at this place?

I have seen on this board, successful stories on rom and walking after it was all over. I only saw a few that was still complaining about not getting their full rom back and it could still happen for them. I guess we will always be stretching and bending to make sure it comes back and stays back.

Good luck,

Peggy

Offline JulieB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2007, 05:18:37 PM »
Peggy,
 I am a copy operator(like Kinko's), I lift boxes of paper to fill the copy machine. My job is the closet to my home within my company. I am crossing my fingers for my husband, he is applying for a job that will make enough money for me to be at home with the children. But since we have to move because of our stairs I don't know if that will be possible.
  I will make a posting and see how many people have gotten their full rom back, Thanks.
Take care,
Julie

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2007, 05:36:09 PM »
Julie,

Good luck with the job situation and also the job your husband is applying for. If you have to move, could you find a house for the same amount or less?  I am afraid of the stair situation here too, don't know if they are going to hinder me in the future or not. I wouldn't mind moving into a split level, less stairs and I would also look for a smaller house.

I'll look for that post.

Peggy

Offline JulieB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2007, 05:51:54 PM »
Peggy,
 I CANT WAIT TO MOVE! We have a very old farmhouse and the stair are steep. I am only able to walk up stair advancing with my good leg. We are looking into building of having a Manufactured house put on some land. But we will have to wait on the car accident settlement to decide. I have tried stair several times, It just doesn't seem to work.
Take care,
Julie

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2007, 06:07:48 PM »
Julie,

I love old farmhouses. Too bad the stairs are steep. Good luck with the car accident claim.

I saw your post on the rom question, looking forward to seeing the replies.

Peggy

Offline JulieB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2007, 08:52:11 PM »
Peggy,
 I love my house but I know I have to give it up.I have live there nine years.It will be hard to go. I have gotten alot of good replies with the rom. I know it takes time, I just tend to be a little impatient. Plus trying to chase two kids down is very hard.
Take care,
Julie

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2007, 09:03:16 PM »
Julie,

Sorry you are going to have to give up the house but I fully understand. How old are the kids?

Peggy

Offline JulieB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2007, 09:10:01 PM »
Peggy,
 My girls are 6 years and 18 months old. My oldest just signed up for softball. i wish I could help coach her team but I am not taking any chances this year.
 Do you have any kids?
Julie