Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee Hardware  (Read 5453 times)

Offline hntndaylight

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
    • Ironheart-Images
Re: Knee Hardware
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2006, 11:10:44 PM »
Do you guys have this to? Do you know what it maybe?

Mine pops and crackles all the time first thing in the morning, starting this week. PT told me today that mine was where my swelling was going down that the joint was now moving more freely. His analogy was that no matter how good a job that the OS did fixing it inside it was like taking a piece of cling wrap that covers a bowl perfectly, then wadding it up, and then trying to put it back on the bowl. No matter how good a job you do, it never fits as perfectly the second time.
40 years old
R. k. ruptured PCL, MCL, tibial plateau fracture, and  double  meniscus tears in farm accident, Oct 15, 06.

Reattached/repaired scope and open knee surgery Oct 27, 06.

R.K 'clean up'  meniscus, plica, scar tissue, arthritis with scope Dec 28, 2007

Absent ACL found Dec 28, 2007

Offline JulieB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2007, 10:46:23 AM »
Peggy,
 Ouch, that sounds like how my knee was broken. But I didn't tear any tendonds. Were they able to wire your knee in the figure 8 pattern? My OS said the bottom was to fractured to do that type of wiring. I am located in Indiana
Julie

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2007, 02:13:03 PM »
Hi Julie,

Yes I am wired like a figure eight with 2 pins that stick up. They are the uncomfortable part of this whole mess. I like the explanation about the cling wrap, I guess it holds true that it will never be the same. How did the os put you back together if the bottom was so messed up?

Any snow out there yet?

Peggy

Offline JulieB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2007, 03:10:43 PM »
Peggy,
 He mainly just wrapped the wire around my knee with claps holding it tight. It is really bad because when I bend my knee I can feel a peice of the wire. No snow yet thank God. I am worried if it snows. My daughter is wishing for snow and I tell her if I fall it may make it worse. So she wishes for my knee to be better then snow, she is 6 years. I am now just driving and I am not looking forward to ice and snow. I am still having a hard time getting in a car because being in a car accident started this whole thing.

hntndaylight,
 You are completely right. I think my knee even looks different. I am tried of snap crakle and pop.

Thanks and take care,
Julie

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2007, 04:16:15 PM »
Julie,

I know what you mwan about the snow, I already warned everyone, hubby, pt, doctors etc... that when it snows I do not go out!!! I lived in New England for 25 years, went thru 2 blizzards and enough snow to last me a lifetime, but can understand a 6 year old hoping for snow!

I can feel the pins and wires also, at one point I had so much pain on the left side of my knee that I could not move it from left to right while laying down, I had to pick it up to move, this has subsided. Will they remove the clamps also? My knee looks different too, the os said it will be smaller than the other but it is still way bigger and I think ugly looking!!

I'm jealous, you can drive, although, it must be a bit frigtening after the accident. I don't have enough strength in my leg yet to manuever the gas and brake pedals.  So I have to wait awhile longer.

Well, here's hoping to no snow!!!

Peggy

Offline JulieB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2007, 05:08:14 PM »
Peggy,
 I think they will remove the clamps too. I was talking to my mother on New Year (She was an RN for years) and she said I had a lot of swelling do to my knee starting to reject the wire. I also think my knee is the uglyiest thing. I find myself hiding it. It is such a shame how something like this can change your life in an instint. Did you get that blizzard that was hitting New England? I don't blame you, I want to stay in if it snows to. I normally love the snow. Hopefully this new year will be different.
Julie  :)

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2007, 07:29:07 PM »
Julie,

Are you talking about a blizzard this year (last year)? The blizzards I lived through were in the 70's 80's and it's left a lasting impression!!  So your knee is reacting to the wire? I guess that could happen, I know people who can't handle the things they put into our bodies. Sorry to hear that it's happening to you. I guess I would push the os to remove asap too. I won't hide my knee when the weather is nice enough for shorts. Hopefully by then it won;t look so bad. I was told to put cocoa butter cream on it, it's good for the scar and loosens up the area a bit. Seems to be working.

I'll love the snow from the window from now on :)

Peggy

Offline JulieB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2007, 10:47:38 AM »
Peggy,
 I thought I heard on the news there was a lot of snow in that area. I could be wrong. I try not to listen to the news to much, it gets too depressing. I am just happy that it is still around 50 degrees here. I have vitamin e lotion that I put on my knee a lot of times. I used it when the PT want me to massage it to losen up scar tissue. I have thought about plastic surgery to cover the scar but right now I am in a lawsuit due to the car accident. I just have to wait and see. I was told that scars really lighten up after time.
Julie

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2007, 02:18:23 PM »
Hi Julie,

I don't watch the news either, it is depressing! I must have missed the info on snow though and haven't talked to anyone up north for awhile. But I have to say, better them than us here in PA. HA HA

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't waste money on plastic surgery, these are our battle scars!! They do lighten up just keep the lotion going.

Good luck with the lawsuit, that must be a real pain.

Peggy

Offline JulieB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2007, 06:03:43 PM »
Peggy,
 Your telling me on the lawsuit I have to wait for my OS to release me to go any futher. My attorney said a situation like this can take up to a year or two to settle. Your right these are battle scar and we have to overcome alot to back to normal. I just hate that it remind me daily on what one persons mistake can effect someone else forever. But it could have been worse. I am just thankful I'm still here.
Julie

Offline JulieB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2007, 12:27:47 PM »
Peggy,
 Good news, my OS will take the hardware out Jan 24th. He wanted it in for a year but he said he would take it out if it hurt me. He also said he is going to try to clean up my scar a little. The only thing I was conserned about was my ROM. He told me over time I may get it back but since I am bending 110 he thinks I am out of the red zone. I will do PT at home.  I feel this nightmare is almost over.
Julie ;D

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2007, 01:45:22 PM »
Julie,

I'm jealous:) You are finally going to have some relief. Did he tell you that you had to be extra careful or what you can or cannot do? Good luck with the rom. Keep me posted.

Peggy

Offline JulieB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2007, 01:51:53 PM »
Peggy,
 He told me don't fall.That is why he wanted the wire in for a year, but he understand all my pain is from the hardware. I can't do squats, and heavy lifting. I maybe released after Feb. Here's hoping.
Julie

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2007, 02:00:43 PM »
Julie,

So he's removing the wire also?? My pt told me that they sometimes leave it in because the bone grows around it. You'll have to let me know.

Peggy

Offline JulieB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2007, 02:24:39 PM »
Peggy,
 I hope the bone didn't grow around it. I looked at the x-rays yesterday and it didn't look like it. But the wire is around my knee not in the figure 8( it looks like a big twist tie). That is why my OS says I am have so much pain too. He said if it was just screws that keep the knee together he usually doen't remove those because the are in the bone. I really did a number on my knee. I will keep you posted. You are getting the wire out in April right? I can't remeber.
Julie

support