Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee Hardware  (Read 4972 times)

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Knee Hardware
« on: November 11, 2006, 01:49:53 PM »

Hello,

Just wanted to know anyone has had such a hard time with the pins and wires that hold us together. I can hardly walk sometimes and feel like the hardware is pushing against my skin trying to get out. Has anyone had the hardware taken out sooner than the year the os recommends? Any problems?

Thanks

Peggy

Offline JulieB

• Regular Poster
Re: Knee Hardware
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 12:05:17 AM »
Peggy,
 First of all I wanted to thank you, I was in a car accident in August and broke my knee in half with the lower part all fractures. While I was reading on this site about my situation I noticed your was similar.I took your questions as my own to find some answers.
  I had to have a MUA on the 17th of Nov. It help me alot! Now I to am having problems with the hardware. If I turn my knee either way it is a sharp pain. I also asked the Doc if the hardware is stoping my progress in therapy. I am counting the days till I get the darn things removed. Doc wants me to keep it in till Jan or Feb so I will have a better chance of not having arthritis. Through this whole thing I just keep in mind there is a reason why and it will be for the best.
Take Care

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 01:49:19 PM »
Hi Julie,

Sorry to hear abiut your accident. Tehy won't take my hardware out unti after Easter and then 2 more months of therapy. I didn't have a MUA, my rom is 95 degrees on a good day. They say I'll get full or close to full rom after the surgery. I can't wait, and yes it is very uncomfortable!!

Take care and keep me posted.

Peggy

Offline JulieB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 10:51:09 AM »
Did your Doc say 2 month post surgery your knee will be fine? Right now I am between 94-96 bend. Before the MUA I was only able to get 45 degree. Doc said I had to much scar tissue. I am not sure if I will get all my ROM back. I was able to hyperextend my knee and that I probably lossed. Do you have a problem with stiffnees in the morning? In the morning I can barely walk. I have to use a cane right now but I can barely do that in the mornings. Do you have any advise?
Julie   :)

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 01:36:29 PM »
Hi Julie,

My os isn't promising anything right now, he said it could go either way, I'll get complete use and rom or I could walk the rest of my life with a limp. At this point you are doing better than I am. I overcompensated using the good leg and wound up with a deep bruise in the larger bone of that leg. Right now pt is teaching me how to walk using a walker. I am using a wheelchair to get around. PT wants to get me walking with the walker, then crutches, which I hate, they are too unsteady as far as I'm concerned, then a cane.

I also wake up stiff and sore. I can't really walk or put pressure for about an hour. I sleep with a pillow between my legs and put the bad leg on top, lying on my side. I also use a heating pad when I am sitting on the couch. And I take 2 Aleve after I eat some breakfast, they seem to work really well for me.

This is all I can offer, doesn't seem like much though. Just keep pushing!

Take care,

Peggy

Offline munchie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 07:25:53 PM »
Hi guys
I had surgery last december and by the summer the pain from my hardware was unbearable,i had to stop PT and my OS said i needed the metalwork removed.I had this surgery in october and the difference is fantastic,i am back in PT and really coming along fine.

Hope you get things sorted soon

Regards

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 07:33:38 PM »
Munchie,

So you had the hardware in for 10 months??? How far did you get with your rom with the pins in? Were they able to remove the wires too? They told me I may have to keep them. What a Gift!

Thanks for the info.

Peggy

Offline JulieB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 10:55:55 AM »
Munchie,
Great! I am glad you are getting along fine. It is nice to have something to look forward too now. I was at pt yesterday and I just wanted to cry because of the pain. The pain is in more of a ring around my knee when they bend my leg. Every time after pt my leg feels like smashed jelly. Does the os think you will have full rom?
Take care,
Julie

Offline munchie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 08:03:31 PM »
Hi guys sorry i hav'nt been back quicker but ive been very busy.
Peggy My ROM with the pins in was about 125,but the crunching and clicking was terrible.My ROM is now 140 with no 'noise'.
I didnt have any wires,just screws and staples.
Julie my OS has just said to go for it in PT and build them quads up,but my ROM is improving all the time.
I am so pleased i went ahead with the removal because as most of you guys know going under the knife 5 times is very daunting.
Keep working hard guys and im sure it will come right for you.

Regards Munchie

Offline JulieB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 10:52:26 AM »
Munchie,
 Thank you so much! now I am really looking forward to removing the hardware. PT last night almost killed me. My knee is starting to pop at times when I bend. I don't know if this is a good thing or not. Now they are starting to build up my leg. Have either of you been on the CPM machine(I can't remeber what it stand for) to bend your leg? My OS put me on one after the MUA. I was just wandering how long Iwould have to use it. OS said when PT is happy.
Julie

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 02:27:21 PM »
Munchie,

Thanks for the info. They are dead set against removing my hardware until April so I still have 4 months to put up with the "crunching".

Julie,

I did not use the CPM machine, don't know what it stands for either. Good luck with it.

Peggy

Offline JulieB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 02:02:36 PM »
Good news, yesterday at PT I reach 110 degree bend. Yeah! ;D. But my knee is popping every once in a while and when I do my exercises it will pop every time. Do you guys have this to? Do you know what it maybe? I see doc the 9 of Jan. I am begging him to take out the wire then. wish me luck. Happy New Year!
Julie

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 02:28:09 PM »
Hi Julie,

I don't know why your knee pops. I know the hardware is a pain in the neck!! How long since they out you back together? they won't remove mine until April. My surgery was last June. Good Luck! Your rom is very good, mine 95-97 and they don''t think it will get any higher till after the  surgery.

Peggy

Offline JulieB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006, 04:00:21 PM »
Peggy,
 I had my knee fixed Aug.27th of this year.  The OS said he had to place the wire around my knee he was unable to do the figure 8 beacuse I had fractures in the bottom half of my knee as well as broken in half. He told me 5 month to 6 month to remove it so arthritis doesn't set in. So I will beg him on the nineth. He may not go for it. How did you injury your knee? Why are they waiting to take the hardware out? But just think 7 months down, 4 to go. :)
Julie

Offline peggy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2006, 04:15:14 PM »
Julie,

I slipped on water in the garage, I was covered in mud after weeding for a couple of hours. I broke my knee cap in half, with the bottom part being more damaged. I also ripped every tendon and ligament. He is very adamant about the knee being completely healed, he doesn't want to chance anything. I just can't wait till it is over and done with.

Good luck begging your os. Where are you located? I am in PA.

Peggy

support