Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Just want to say Hola!  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Lynne9375

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Just want to say Hola!
« on: January 14, 2008, 12:46:10 AM »
Hi, I have just registered on here and wanted to say hi to everyone. I am 4 weeks bored (meaning.. I broke my knee cap 4 weeks ago and sitting here in my lovely leg brace!!)

So, my name is Lynne. I am 53 years old and I live on sunny Lanzarote one of the Canary Islands just off the coast of Africa. I retired 7 years ago and moved here, from the UK, 5 years ago. I live with my partner of 22 years, Steve who is also retired.
Steve plays a lot of golf and I am animal mad. I am on the board of directors of the charity run animal shelter here on the island. I work there (or I did before the brace) 4 or 5 days a week on a voluntary basis. We have over 200 dogs and just under 100 cats at the moment so there is plenty of work to do. I am managing to get to the shelter two days a week but I can only help out in the office (answering the phone or working on the computer). I am missing seeing all my "babies" but I daren't hobble into the kennels to see them in case they knock my leg. Still, the paperwork has never been so "up to date".

I used to be a dancer and still go to salsa classes to keep in shape, I just hope I can get back to that asap. Hopefully my ballet training will help make my recovery speedier. I'm just a bit worried about the "spread" around my rear end ....... not being active and feeding my face over Christmas is not helping matters  ::)

Thank you all for contributing to such an informative site. Reading your stories has made me realize I am actually very lucky as I got off quite lightly  ;D

Cheers

Lynne

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Just want to say Hola!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 06:31:04 AM »
Welcome here Lynne !!
I really understand that you moved from UK to Lanzarote.
I am Nettan, 17 (well  41 officially but who cares ;D) and I live in Sweden. I visited Las Palmas during the holidays. Was a nice change to the rainy weather we have. ;D
My daughter has worked as volunteer with cats. Animals are so lovely. And like you I have a hubby playing golf.
My son also plays. :)
I am a oldie on this site and a wheeler girl. Will never be OK but have found a life to live anyway.
I work some hours a week for a sports club, but hope to get over some of my problems and be able do some more.
Just wanted to welcome you.

NETTAN 8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Ron22

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 03:33:00 PM »
Welcome Lynne.....Sounds like you have a really interesting set up there in a nice setting...I love animals..I'm 45 and have had several surgeries (mostly due to rugby and hoops injuries)...I think you'll find this site is really a Godsend....There are great people here who are more than willing to listen if you need to vent, share their experiences, and offer advice.

Hope you're feeling better soon and watch out for the dogs ;)

Cheers,

Ronnie
Surgery #1 ACL/LR/Mdl Mesniscus
Surgery #2 Vascular Repair
Surgery#3 ACL/Ltl Mesniscus/MCL
Surgery#4 Vascular Repair
Surgery#5 Maquet/Bone Graft/Screw/LR/ACL
Arthritis/Knee/Hip
Necrosis/Hip
PFS/Chronomalacia
RSD
Vascular Issues
All on Right Leg

Offline MartinsGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Live, love, laugh!!! Life is amazing!!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 03:05:22 PM »
Hi Lynne,

Welcome! I too just joined this site and find it amazing! So much valuable information and so many encouraging people.

like you, reading some posts has made me realize I got off easy. A lot of people on here have had serious, recurring knee problems for years and years.  Like you, I had an accident which led to my knee problems. I stumbled during a soccer game in July and tore a piece of cartilage and sustained a microfracture. I had surgery in October and am still working on improving my ROM (my flexion is at 93 degrees right now).

I teach phys. ed to kids in the afternoons, so I too hope to get back to "normal" (although I think with knee injuries, you can only hope for maybe 90%, lol) so I can run and play with the kids.

Happy Sunday!!!

~Nevella :)

-July '07-soccer injury
- microfracture of the tibial plateau
- arthroscopy in Oct. '07 (remove torn cartilage and repair microfracture)
-developed AF but beat it (avoided surgery)
[img width=200 height=136]http://dl6.glitter-graphics.net/pub/504/504056crsfyif

Offline MartinsGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Live, love, laugh!!! Life is amazing!!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 03:07:34 PM »
Oh, and something I just noticed is that everyone on here changes their profile so that their "signature" actually lists their knee injuries.  I think that's a great idea and I"m gonna go fix my profile too. That way people know right away what injury you had/have. 

And something I also realized is that you have to make at least 21 posts before you can message people (like send them Private Messages). Just in case you didn't know :)

Have a wonderful day!!!
-July '07-soccer injury
- microfracture of the tibial plateau
- arthroscopy in Oct. '07 (remove torn cartilage and repair microfracture)
-developed AF but beat it (avoided surgery)
[img width=200 height=136]http://dl6.glitter-graphics.net/pub/504/504056crsfyif

support