Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: acl brace for soccer  (Read 2868 times)

Offline ibreakhearts66

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
acl brace for soccer
« on: November 10, 2006, 09:21:15 AM »
so right now i'm in a donjoy 4titude. i'm not particularly loving it for soccer. i have a few problems (one of which i think may just require a custom brace.)
first of all (this is the one that i figure requires a custom brace), the brace is too small for my thigh, but a little too big for my calf. i think my thigh requires a size S while my calf needs an M.

but my biggest annoyance comes from slide tackling. i love to do it, but i can't in this brace, which really discourages me from wearing it. i tried once, and i ended up with a huge clump of dirt/grass stuck in the hinge. granted, that was pretty funny, but frustrating as sliding is a big part of my game.

finally, i was hoping there is a brace out there that maybe reaches just below the knee joint instead of half-way down the calf. it ends up giving me absolutely awful calf cramps.

so, any suggestions?
16 years old

8-03 unhappy triad LK, undiagnosed by an idiot of an OS so now i wear a donjoy
PFS for the lasat 7 years or so
10-06 Cortizone shot LK
11-06 Scope for torn meniscus RK
3-07 right ankle recon

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: acl brace for soccer
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 09:56:21 PM »
Donjoy braces are horrible for soccer players, the posterior tibial shell can cause cramps and even worse compartment syndrome.  I wore one my freshman year of college during soccer (I played at a D1 University).  I ended up with severe compartment syndrome halfway through the season and had to sit out the rest of the season. 

I know work specifically with soccer athletes as an athletic trainer.  I always send back scripts requesting a Donjoy brace.  Braces with anterior shells are much better and more comfortable.  I really like the Townsend Premier knee brace.  I wore one for my final three years of college soccer and had no problems with it. 

In terms of slide tackling, try doing it with a cover on the brace.  Your brace should have come with the correct cover.  Some refs require that the brace is covered in games anyway. 
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: acl brace for soccer
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 08:55:20 PM »
Just going to second what Sarah said about the brace cover for the brace... for slide tackling.

The other thing i was just going to say is I don't think you're going to find many ACL braces that come just below the knee.. unfortunately. In order for the brace to work and do what it is designed to do it needs to come a bit lower and not be up the top of the tibia.

I wear a breg fusion and I love it, but I don't play soccer. But there is a version just for women... which fits quite nicely.

Goodluck
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?