Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patella Baja Repair  (Read 2390 times)

Offline Sonia_B.

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Patella Baja Repair
« on: June 06, 2003, 04:40:53 AM »
Hi, My name is Sonia and Heather told me about this board.  I was here a long time ago and at that time no one knew anything about Patella Baja.  Now I understand that there are 3 people here who have this problem.  Three years ago, I hyper extended my knee and really tore things up in there!  My 2nd OS wanted to do a retinacular release.  After the release, I could no longer do long arcs and straight leg raises.  The OS had cut too far and released my quad as well!  This caused my knee to become VERY unstable and I fell...alot! :'(  So after going to another OS, I was diagnosed with patella baja (patella was too low) ???  On December 10th 2002, I had surgery to repair this.  The OS used a donor hamstring to repair my quad tendon, and took a piece of my tibia (shin bone) to move my patella tendon up, thus placeing my patella where it needed to be.  I started PT in mid January and couldn't be very agressive because we didn't want to damage the new tendon graph.  On March 14th, I fell, (I got my pant leg caught in my four footed cane :-[) and recived a stress fracture.  My OS had me to lock my brace at zero again, and wait for 7 weeks.  On June 2nd 2003, I saw OS and he told me to unlock my brace fully and start PT again and this time agressivly because my new MRI showed the graph was fully healed ;D!  I still have a long way to go, but at least now I can do straight leg raises and both short and long arcs!  I still have alot of pain, and OS told me that I probably will until I am old enough to have a TKR.  The good news is that I am out of the wheelchair and my knee is alot more stable.  If anyone has any questions re patella baja, it's repair, or just want to talk, please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]  I am unable to work right now, as I go to Dr. and PT too often and would miss too much work.  Can't expect anyone to keep me on the payroll when I am gone more than I am there :D  I am really glad someone thought up these message boards!  They are a life saver and a treasre trove of information!
Nice to meet everyone!
Sonia 8)
1st scope 00, 2nd april 01, 3rd nov. 01, patella baja repair 02.  Still not fixed and no help in sight!

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
Re: Patella Baja Repair
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2003, 05:24:10 AM »
Hi Sonia!

I'm another Heather with a patella baja problem.  There are several of us (and three of us are Heathers---do you think it's in the name?) on the board with this problem.

Was your surgery the Maquet procedure?  That was suggested for me.  

Anyway, I would suggest that you post this same message a couple of threads down in the "patello-femoral joint" section--it gets a lot more traffic.  It could also belong in the "Soft Tissue Healing Problems"  but it seems there's less traffic there.  You can also ask the PFS Mod or Kneeguru or one of the other moderators to move the whole thread for you.  That way you'll get more responses.  Also, the threads on the lower half of the page get archived, so future users can search the net and come up with your posts!  Pretty neat, huh?

Anyway, I'm glad it sounds like you're finally beating the problem.  I'd be interested in continuing the discussion...I'm recently not doing well pain-wise, but my function is still pretty good.  Most of my pain is scar tissue related, though the patella baja isn't any fun.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell