Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Faith (religion)  (Read 4460 times)

Offline Riosilia

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Faith (religion)
« on: June 05, 2003, 09:20:32 AM »
Just out of curiousity, how many of you consider yourselfs "religious?"  And what religion are you?

I would consider myself I pretty religious Catholic individual.  However, my faith has been lacking lately.  My faith and religion is like a roller coster that keeps going up and down but it's slowly on an upward trend.  Specially with this whole knee thing, my faith has really been tested.  I know I should "blame" God but it's hard or at leas wonder "why me."  Last Sunday the Priest talked about hardships and various obsticles in people's life.  He talked about life difficulties as a way of God challanging us to become someone better so we could learn and grow.  And even though we might not agree with Him at the time and might be wonderful why He is putting me in this situation, later we realize why that had to happen.  I can name various situations that I hated going through but now I can see that these experiences made me a better person that I am today.   I love it when the sermans seem to be right at me.  These small things helps me remind me that God is always by my side.  

How do you deal with your religious through the rough times?  One of the things I try to do (but have been bad at it lately) is read the Bible every night.  Praying, ofcaorse, is a very nice way of getting things off my chest.  If anyone else out there prays, please sent out a prayer for me.  I'm having my surgery a week from tomorrow (the 12th) and I would really appreciate any extra help.  

Hope you have a terrific week:-)

Love,
             Riosilia
98- first patelllar dislocation
99- LR + debridment
00- proximal (VMO advancement) + distal (TTT medialization) realignment
03- MPFL repair, lat retinaculum repair, patellar microfracture
09- Patellar osteochondral allograft + MPFL reconstruction
10- ant interval release + partial synovectomy

Offline Ross

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • it only hurts when I larf!
Re: Faith (religion)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2003, 02:15:29 PM »
Riosilia, I'm in the way of being a Catholic also.  I don't know that I'm a good or a bad one but I have accepted the Lord Jesus as my Saviour, friend and mentor.  

It's not something that I came to particularly easily or at a really early age, although I have been a regular attendee at mass all my life.  I have had good times and bad in my life and I think that the love and support I have received from my family and my community when things have been rough is the manifestation of His ongoing love for us all.

It's not how much you hurt so much as it's how much someone cares about whether you hurt.  That's the sort of support I have had from the folks in my religious community.  I'm a member of a Jesuit community, I love those blokes!  Take a look at who's being martyred for sticking up for the downtrodden and if it's not a Jesuit he'll be the next to step forward.  They really are a very special bunch.

My God is alive and I can talk to Him whenever I feel like it.  Sometimes He answers straight away, sometimes He's a bit slow but His timetable is not quite so time critical as mine tends to be.  I know that I can take all my troubles and pain to Him and He'll lift my burden.  It happens, I believe it.

I can't blame God for my problems, when I take my problems to Him they become His.  He gives me the strength to deal with most of life's situations and when I hit a curly one He's always there.

God bless you Rosilia, may He grant you healing grace and may His angels guard you on the twelfth and throughout your life.  He's always looked after me!  
I'm a grumpy old bear with a busted knee.  The growling you hear is my tummy rumbling!

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2003, 11:06:49 PM »
hi there,

i also consider myself to be devout and faithful--trying to live in a decent christian way.  i'm a member of the united church of christ--and yes, we have a bit of a reputation for being very liberal--ha ha.  i think our denomination does a good job of respecting individuals and human rights.  that, to me, is what christ lived and died for...

i am like most people though, someone who sins and needs to ask for forgiveness more than to be praised for better behavior and words.  i do try and i think i give a lot of myself to others--just a bit more limited now.  i am no biblical scholar and have to look to find most things.  i do love and get a lot of inspiration from church music and my particular church has an amazing group of talented folks who keep it beautiful and uplifting and diverse.

we go every sunday, my kids win attendance awards every spring--if nothing else that tells you that i am committed to giving my children a good christian background and the values and love that i believe will help them to be healthy decent people.

sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2003, 12:32:12 AM »
I'm a Catholic and I do consider my faith a very important part of who I am and a very important part of my making.

I know there have been times in my life where my faith has been tested to the limit but I know god will come through for me in the end.

When I was in hospital last, I prayed on the tuesday night for god to do something to relieve me of pain and suffering, sure enough come the morning I was being taken to theatre. Coincident or not, it made me extreley glad I had courage in my faith at that time.

God bless you all, even if your not a religious believer.

Iona

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2003, 03:19:35 AM »
Hmmm.  That's a tough one.

I consider myself spiritual, not necessarily religious.  I live my life in a way that would fall in line with any of the major monotheistic faiths, and quite a few of the animist ones.  I try to be good person, treat others as I wish to be treated, and apologize to those I have inadvertently hurt or offended.  Now some of the organized religions would say I'm a sinner because I don't sit in a building once or twice a week with others and listen to someone's interpretation of the Bible, which is probably my main problem with churches and their hierarchies.  

But I believe in God--how could I not?  Look at the mountains, the ocean, the heartbreaking landscapes of the world...and tell me there isn't a higher power out there.  Feeling my newborn nephew latch onto my hand and hold tight--how could I not believe there is a just and benevolent God to look out for my little one?  

I just don't want to be told how to worship this God and that I must go through an earthly intermediary...it's the rebel in me, I guess.

That's probably why, like Ross, I identify most with the Jesuits.  I attended a Jesuit university and they instilled in me a desire to help those less fortunate in the world.  (Not to mention a healthy suspicion of the church hierarchy!)  Aside from that, they are good fun--articulate, literate, passionate rabblerousers the lot of them, and they wouldn't have it any other way.  I focused my studies on Latin America, and the Jesuits were in the forefront of fighting the oligarchy and the church to protect the rights of the poor and voiceless.  That's why I like them.

As for prayers--Riosilia, you have ours.  As much ugliness as there is in the world, it is a joy and a pleasure to sit down and think good thoughts and direct them toward someone in need.  You are going to do just fine in your surgery, please don't worry.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline rhea

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.......
    • Budgie Love!
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2003, 09:47:39 PM »
I'm very similar to Heather M.  I wouldn't say I am religous, but I am very spiritual.  What has gotten me through the rough stuff is Sylvia Browne and her books and beliefs. Without her theories I don't think I would have been able to cope as well as I have.  

Interesting post Riosilia!  ((hugs))) and all the best with your upcoming surgery!!!

-rhea

7 yrs of knee troubles (maltracking, maybe plica).  
Finally found wonderful OS(#4)!
Diagnostic scope+biopsy schduled for sept 23,2003  
HMS/EDS III
Chronic joint pain,subluxations,microtraumas...

Offline Riosilia

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2003, 07:52:09 AM »
Thank you for all the good thoughts!  

~Riosilia
99- LR + debridment

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2003, 06:02:12 AM »
I do not attend any church anymore (althoug i use to (Uniting church as a child (was christended there as a child) and  Baptist church in teens 20's was baptised there). I no longer attend church but I DO believe in God I mean there ahs to be some power there that makes us and the owrld what it is. I would consider myself a christian (I just don't attend church).
I was even a church youth group leader and all of my friends were from church pretty much in my 20's. I don't know why I drifted away from attending church (it was when I shifted to Canbrra about 8 years ago).
but I believe you can be a christian without attending church. I do on occasion pray (rarely) and I believe that my Mum and Nana and Mother  in law that i lost last year have all gone to heaven and are HAPPY.
SoI guess I am a non church goig christian.
Sharon

2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

Offline Ross

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • it only hurts when I larf!
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2003, 04:08:25 PM »
Sharon, it's not attending a building or being a member of a particular community that makes you a Christian, it's your actions.  

That's where so many people become disillusioned with churches and dogma.  Christ came to break down all the legalise that had grown up around a pretty simple bunch of rules to live by, ten was obviously too many so He said "Love one another as I have loved you".  

One rule, and we still have difficulty doing it right, our single redeeming factor is that we try!
I'm a grumpy old bear with a busted knee.  The growling you hear is my tummy rumbling!

Offline lam651

• Forum Faithful
  • Someday
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2003, 11:45:27 PM »
I've belonged to a number of churchs, but currently I don't. I've always believed in God and have tried to live a good life. That always seemed to be the important to me, not what church you belonged to.

My grandparents were the most important role models in my life and lived the golden rule better than anyone I have ever met, but for some reason they were never members of a church. Sometime I will join a church again because I do get alot out of it when I have been a church member in the past.

I have to say that I'm afraid that I have been a little bit of a "foxhole christian" and prayed when my knee pain and fear were so bad I wanted to cry. Ideally a person wouldn't turn to God only when we're desparate.

Trying to live a good life has been important to me since I've had knee problems(3 years). Being through what I have been through has made me a more patient,tolerant and better person, at least for now. It's had to be in pain and not be humbled. Just some rambling thoughts. Take care everyone, Larry
arthoscopy('99),HTO(tibia didn't heal 10/01),knee braces(7/02),HTO w/ex.fix. to repair tibial non-union(3/03), remove ex. fix.(9/03),HTO other leg(12/03)

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2003, 01:53:31 AM »
hi--

i almost  feel guilty,  but we have a church and it is a good place and an inspiration for me and my family.  

yesterday, during the church service, our sunday school "superintendent" recognized shildren with excellent attendance--avctually they gave four awards and it happened to be that they went to  my four youngest children :D  at that point, he also made a point to recognize my hubby and i for that, crediting us with making a great deal of effort in spite of my surgeries and things.   i'm going to tell you, it helped both of us so much to have that happen--given all of the stuff we have been put through lately.

then after church, we had an "everybody'sbirthday party."  there were twelve tables, each one was manned by a volunteer who  decorated the table and provided a cake that corresponded to  theme for that month--for example the february folks had a valentine's theme  for their cake and decorations.   everybody enjoyed a nice luncheon with other people having a birthday in their month.  it was a great mixer and a great opportunity for my  kids to demonstrte their social skills.   we had a ball, it was so much fun.

on other occasions, we  get together and help a neighbor do work on a house or go  and visit someone shut in or go to city hall and talk with the mayor  about concerns for our neighborhood or collect  books  for children in the neighborhood.  we have  a wonderful music  program in  our church and my kids participate in small bnads, sing solos,  play in the handbell  choir,  perform in children's musicals  and so on and so on.

i am so  thankful that i have the faitthat i have--but i am  also thankful  to have this wonderfulplace in my life that is full of others who help me to support my children, give them responsibility and love,  and care for others...sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Helen_uk

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2003, 07:39:12 AM »
I guess I have believes but I am a fallen church attender. something or someone has gotten me this far but who or what I am not sure .
I guess I pray I believe in  something but not sure what.
I used to attend church on a regular basis but now find the whole thing difficult to manage and as such dont go.
My church is very happy clappy and I used to enjoy the peace and traquility of it all.

I find my self finding fault in it all at time and peoples double standards and hypocrasy.
I am not saying that is so of all church communities but certainly in ours If you fit into this sterio type then your in and if you dont and question aspects your out.

Maybe I will try again but I dont feel strong enough to even walk through the doors right now without gettingupset.WHY I dont know.

I was upset my some coments in the past that i was a fair weather church goer and a bit of a rebel so I find the whole scene hard but I do find solace and peace outdoors somewhere beautifull and find peace and thoughts there so who knows maybe all is not lost.
H xxx ::)

Offline Pat_A.E.

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2003, 08:32:21 AM »
I was raised a Catholic, but as an adult chose to belong to the United Church of Christ.  I regularly attend services and I am very active in my church.  I do not live near my sisters but my church family has been exceptional examples of Christian caring during my surgeries and recovery.  I will admit that I found it very, very difficult to pray during the worst of it.  I have yet to figure out why.  
One day when I was at my gym working on PT ( I was still in an imobilizer and on crutches) the man on the stationary bike next to me asked me what had happened to me.  I gave a brief explanation and heasked me if I was in pain. I responded "Yes."  We made small talk after that.  When I was ready to leave I strapped on the imobilizer and gathered the crutches.  He stopped me and asked if he could pray for me.  A bit started I said, "Yes." expecting that I would be mentioned in his prayers the following Sunday.  This man had more immediate plans.  Right there, in the gym, he placed his hand on my shoulder and prayed aloud for my healing.  THIS WAS POWERFUL!  A few years ago I might have been embarrassed by such a display of faith, but now I recognize it as witness to Christ's healing power.
I do not hold God resposible for my accident, but I do thank God for giving me the strength to learn from this experience and hopefully minister to others because of it.
9/25/02  shattered right patella,10/11/02 surgical repair .1/31/03 hardware removed. Currentley dealing with tendenosis. Spring 2004 almost 100% back!!!!

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2003, 05:49:11 AM »
hi pat--

it is always awesome to find another  ucc'er in a group.

i  joined as a high school senior--wheni was adult enough to know where i wanted my faith journey to go.  (i had been raised presbyterian, on again and off again...)

where are you located at?  i'm here in the midwest...we belong to the western illinois association.

sylvia

Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Riosilia

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2003, 08:44:50 AM »
Thank you for all your prayers because they made a huge difference.  My knee was in a lot better shape than they originally thought so they didn't do half of the things they where planning on doing.  

I'm sure God was with me as I'm sure he will be with me for these next couple of months while I get through my rehab.

Little story.  I had to stay in the hospital overnight and one of my nurses while I was there was so terrific.  He came to check on me and whenever I needed something he would get it right away.  We actually had a couple of pretty long converstations.  I mostly asked about his nursing carrer and I talked about my knee history.  He was so nice!  People like that just makes your days a lot easir!  

~Riosilia
99- LR + debridment

support