Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Fulkerson Osteotomy HELP!!!  (Read 4560 times)

Offline knapptime

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Fulkerson Osteotomy HELP!!!
« on: November 06, 2006, 04:48:20 AM »
I have been having problems with my knees for a very long time and have tried many things that did not work. Now my OS wants to do a Fulkerson Osteotomy (something I have never heard of). After researching it, I have to tell you..... I AM FREAKING OUT!!!  :o :-[ :-\ I am a 37 year old female that works 60 hours a week and do not know how to sit for 5 minutes, much less know how to stop. I have some questions if someone could PLEASE help me......
1. On a scale of 1-10, 1 being uncomfortable and 10 being unbearable, how much pain should I expect.
2. Will I really be on crutches for 8 weeks?
3. If my job requires me to be on my feet for 10 hours a day, how long should I expect to be off work?
4. Will this really work? If it does, I do not care about the scar, but curious..... how ugly will me leg be? lol
5. Providing this is a success, how long do I wait before I have the other knee done?
6. If I have the left knee done first, will I be able to drive?
7. Showers..... Will they be possible? lol
8. How long will the Hospital stay be?

I am sure the OS covered a lot of this, But I was somewhat overwhelmed and did not retain a lot of it. I really do not want to sound like a big baby.... it's just that overwhelmed thing again. The whole procedure sounds pretty gruesome and I do not do helpless well, AT ALL!!!!
If anyone could comment and try to answer some of my questions, I would be most greatful!
Thank you very much,
Kimberly
Kimberly

Offline pjbaker

• Regular Poster
Re: Fulkerson Osteotomy HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 05:37:04 AM »
Ok first of all calm down. Everything will be okay. I had the Fulkerson TTT done about 3 weeks ago now and to be completely honest the first 2 weeks are the roughest, but now I am in hardly any pain. I may have a slight pain here and there, but I am doing real good as far as pain goes. So the first couple of weeks on a scale of 1-10 my pain could range anywhere from an 7-10, but it has dramatically decreased. Second, about being on crutches for 8 weeks I really can't answer that because I have been Partial Weight Bearing as tolerated since the surgery and I am now only using one crutch. All I can really say is that every OS has a different protocol so there is a possibility that you could be on crutches for 8 weeks. I was currently attending school, but had to stop because I wanted to try to heal properly and take the time I needed because this was my  4th surgery in two years. I don't know if this will work I mean there is always a possibility that it might not, but if done on the right individuals can be very successful. I can say that I don't have any of the same knee pains that I had before the surgery, which is a very big accomplishment. My scar actually looks really good compared to the other scars I have from my previous knee surgeries. My scar is about 3 1/2 inches long, but really skinny. If that makes since?? After you have had you staples or stitches out and it has completely healed you can massage the scar with vitamin E oil to help reduce the appearance of the scar. I am hoping to do my other knee also considering I have subluxations with my right leg also so I am hoping maybe by February I can have it done. My first one was done in October, but I will find out more when I go see my OS this week to see what he recommends. I was able to drive after about two weeks, because I didn't want to drive while on pain meds that would not have been good. It is a little more challenging, but not that bad. I have had a lot of practice with wearing immobilizers and driving at the same time lol. Showers are very possible I know some people on this board bought shower chairs and hand held shower heads to make it easier. I was able to take my first shower about 4 days after surgery. As far as staying in the hospital that will also depend on your OS. My surgery was outpatient, but I do know some people on the board had to stay in the hospital. Like I said it will depend on your OS and how well you are handling the pain after surgery. If you have anymore questions please ask me and I will try to answer as much as possible. Also check out the Post Op Diary section of the board there are few of us who just had the surgery and are documenting are experiences through the recovery process.

Hope this helped PJ.
Chronic Dislocations since 14.
August 2004 - Right LR
November 2004 - Left LR
October 27, 2005 - Left VMO Advancement
October 20, 2006 - Left Fulkerson TTT SUCCESS!!!!
May 11, 2007 - Right Fulkerson TTT

Offline knapptime

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 05:46:35 AM »
PJ,
You are awesome, thank you for your reply. 1 more thing I forgot, if I may..... This will also probably depend on the OS, how soon after surgery did you start PT?

Thanks again..............
Kimberly
Kimberly

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 11:03:01 AM »
Hey!!

First of all relax!! Panic attackt won't get you any further!!
So read it all through, think rationally and you'll be fine. Expect the best but be prepared for the worst.

For your questions... I had a Fulkerson 4 years ago so I'll answer them regarding my own surgery. I am outside US/UK so rehab protocol is a bit different, although every OS still has his own protocol.

1. On a scale of 1-10, 1 being uncomfortable and 10 being unbearable, how much pain should I expect.

My worst was a 4 I think. I never had much pain and took none of the heavy painkillers most people on here seem to take... I only had a spinal, no sedation, 2 paracetamols during the op, one at noon, and 1 NSAID injection at night. After that I survived on Codeine tablets just fine.

Depends... I was on crutches in a full leg cast for 3 weeks. 3 weeks post-op the cast was removed and I weaned off crutches in 3 days. Not even a brace, just a tubigrip to support the leg and control sweling.

3. If my job requires me to be on my feet for 10 hours a day, how long should I expect to be off work?

I am a nurse working full time doing 8hr shifts, on my feet all day. I went back to work after 12 weeks. No problem!! I wanted to return sooner but as I couldn't get a light duty job my OS refused. Of course I had to be carefull and I wasn't allowed to run, but I never had a problem.

4. Will this really work? If it does, I do not care about the scar, but curious..... how ugly will me leg be? lol

Your leg won't look awful ;) Mine looks fine! And yeps my surgery worked big time. I can do everytime, I am over-active :P and my screws are still in my knee and don't bother me at all. Peppy and Cocky are my best friends ;D

5. Providing this is a success, how long do I wait before I have the other knee done?

I still haven't had surgery to my other knee. It's as worse as my other knee was, not yet giving me chronic pain. I will sure go for the Fulkerson again and won't let it get as far as with my left knee ;)

I had L knee TTT and have a manual car, I was driving again 4 weeks post Fulkerson. Getting in and out of the car was by far the most painfull thing.... ::) Driving was easy

nope, not in my case. My parents don't have a shower and I wasn't allowed (nor possible) to take a bath.
Would've been nice, with a luff leg cast on ;D ;D ;D

I stayed overnight, OS advised me this for pain control but next time I'll go home, seeing how little pain i had now.

9 PT??

I started PT when my cast came off so 3 1/2 weeks post-op. I only went 9 times :D Got full ROM back after 5 sessions :D but had quite agressive PT (which I am happy about!)

Hope this helps!!!

Helena
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 11:09:02 AM by Helena KTF »
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline pjbaker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 12:21:46 PM »
Kimberly I didn't start PT until my staples were taken out. So I didn't start until about a week after my surgery, but I am not really going that much right now because I am restricted to just doing Passive ROM and am only allowed to bend to 90 degrees. I'm at 80 now. My PT told me there was no since in me coming if I am able to bend that much with out any pain until I go back to the doctor and he lets me start doing more. If you have any more questions let me know.

PJ
Chronic Dislocations since 14.
August 2004 - Right LR
November 2004 - Left LR
October 27, 2005 - Left VMO Advancement
October 20, 2006 - Left Fulkerson TTT SUCCESS!!!!
May 11, 2007 - Right Fulkerson TTT

Offline knapptime

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 12:30:18 PM »
Helena,
Thank you so much for your post. It was a great thing, that you included photos. I can not tell you how much better I feel! It looks great  ;). You should also know, I have sent your legs to everyone I know ;D. It looks much better than I anticipated!

Thanks Again and Happy Healing!
Kimberly
Kimberly

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 03:07:25 PM »
Hi there,

I've had TTTs on both knees:

1. On a scale of 1-10, 1 being uncomfortable and 10 being unbearable, how much pain should I expect?  When I first woke up in the recovery room I was at about an 8 because my meds decided to just all stop early.  After that was under control, the first week was about a 5 or 6 and as the weeks went on, the pain got much less.
2. Will I really be on crutches for 8 weeks? It varies for every single OS.  I was lucky and was weight bearing as tolerated after surgery right away and only relied on crutches for 9 days for each of my surgeries. 
3. If my job requires me to be on my feet for 10 hours a day, how long should I expect to be off work?  If you're on your feet that long, I would imagine you'd be out for awhile.  I was exhausted just from going to school for a few half days.  Again, one of those things to ask your OS.  Is there any way you can maybe work from home on a computer or bring some work home??
4. Will this really work? If it does, I do not care about the scar, but curious..... how ugly will me leg be? lol  I felt that this surgery has definitely helped me.  While I am still having some knee issues, at least I don't dislocated or sublux as much as I used to.  If you want to see pictures, click the link to my post op pics.  The TTTs are in the albums "Surgery #2" and "Surgery #3" http://new.photos.yahoo.com/knockdownhockeychick87/albums
5. Providing this is a success, how long do I wait before I have the other knee done? I had my first TTT on February 25th, and had the next one on June 2nd of the same year.  All a matter of how you feel and what your OS wants to do
6. If I have the left knee done first, will I be able to drive?  If you have it done on your left, usually they allow you to start driving once you are off narcotic pain meds.  When you can get down to Advil and the like, I'm sure you'd be able to drive.
7. Showers..... Will they be possible? lol  I ended up using one of those fold up camping chairs to sit on.  Its so much easier getting a stool or some sort of chair in there to sit on...much less stressful
8. How long will the Hospital stay be? I was in the recovery room for around 2 or so hours and I was released.  Both TTTs were done at an outpatient surgery center.  I could have stayed, if I decided to have surgery at the hospital, but I didnt want to!

Good luck with the TTTs!  Keep us all posted, and stay positive!
~Mandy
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline knapptime

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 03:15:20 PM »
I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to respond. All of you helped me a great deal. While, a lot of information has been shared and there were some differences of opinions, some pictures looked worse than others and so on...... No one ever said they regretted having the surgery. Therefore, I am going to have it!  ??? I am a Retail Manager, I was hoping to have it after Christmas. That is not going to work though. I had to schedule it December 22nd  ::). I am sure this is going to make for an interesting Christmas!!
I will keep everyone posted and agian, thank you very much to everyone. Wish me luck!!  :-[

39 more days (but who's counting)  ;)

Kimberly
Kimberly

Offline Dianae

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 07:54:57 PM »
Hi Kimberly,

I'm 45 and just had my first TTT three weeks ago.  I was pretty scared too, but so far I have been progressing without and complications.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd say my pain level was around 7-8 for the first week or so.  I took Hydrochodone for the pain along with Phenergan to combat the nausea from the pain meds.

In controlled settings (work and home) I am now down to one crutch.  I don't use my immobilizer at home, but I do at work or when I'm out in the world.

Thankfully, I have a desk job and was out of work for about 2 weeks.  I'm sure it will be longer for you if you have a job where you have to stand on your feet all day.

My OS said I could shower as soon as the drain tube was out of my knee (24 hours after surgery).

I also got my left knee done, and I was driving after a couple of weeks.  Once I was completely weaned off the pain meds and could manage to get my leg in the car without too much pain.

My surgery was done as an outpatient and I started PT three days after surgery.  So far I'm really pleased with how my scar looks, not bad at all.

Good luck with your surgery!  You've got lots of support on these boards.

Diana
LK TTT: 10/06

Offline danielletellez

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 08:19:05 PM »
Hey Kimberly, thanks for posting all these questions. I have a Fulkersons comin up in a week and 1/2. (the 29th)

Ive been incredibly nervous, and due to shock, (and myself hyping myself up) my brain has practically stopped all activity not pertaining to this surgery. Ive never had this kinda thing before. So, I will be sure to let you know every step of the way what it is like.
Im a big backpacker, and my goal is to be back on the trails by my birthday next year.  Hoprefully this will do the trick!!!

Offline knapptime

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 10:51:48 PM »
Hi Danielle,
I wish you the best of luck..... There is definately different practices by different OS's. Mine told me in no uncertain terms that I would be on crutches for 8 weeks and that this procedure can not be done as an outpatient, a hospital stay is required. This does not seem to be the norm, from everyone's comments. I am very interested in hearing about your surgery and recovery. I know what you mean, about this consuming all thoughts, actions, etc. I know I was driving everyone crazy with it for a while, I think I have now come to terms with it. All of this really can be overwhelming.  :o
I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Happy Healing. :-[ ;) :( ::)

Kimberly
Kimberly

Offline qtkatie013

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 04:32:22 AM »

Honestly, for the first couple of weeks my pain was at a 9-10 level.  I was in terrible pain all day and all night, no matter what they prescribed to me.  It took awhile to feel any relief at all.

I was on crutches for 3 months... At first it was hard, but now I think I could run a marathon on them.

You're going to be off work for a really long time if it requires you to be on your feet that many hours.  Maybe they will be nice and find you a sitting job.

Let's pray it really works... I am doing fine after mine.  I had a few other surgeries after it so my body is still trying to heal.  My scar healed up nicely, but they removed the screws in August.. so that required them to re-cut the same incision.  Let's just say you can definitely tell it's there.

I have no idea, I don't have problems with my other knee...I am praying I never have to go through that again.

I had my left knee done, and I didn't drive the whole time I was on crutches.  Mainly because it was winter time and my mom felt the need to drive me to PT.  I basically didn't leave my house (other than for therapy), because I didn't want to slip and fall and have to go through the whole procedure again.

I wasn't able to shower for awhile.  I think my doc said 4 weeks, but then he said it would be safer if I waited longer.  If you were to fall and have anything shift in there, they would have to go back in and do it over.  I think it was about 6-7 weeks... HAHA but I did wash my hair, etc to the best of my ability daily.  It was truly a workout.

I stayed one night (hospital was 2 hours away)... By the second day you are just so sick of being in there that you actually WANT to leave.  They offered me another night's stay if I didn't feel comfortable going home.  It was snowing like crazy but I figured I had to go home sooner or later... So I might as well be comfortable (more like uncomfortable) in my own bed..
20 years old
March 2004-Plica Removal
September 2005-Plica Removed (again), Scar Tissue Removal
January 2006-Fulkerson Osteotomy
August 2006-Screw Removal
September 2006-Orthoscopic
October 2006-Diagnosed with RSD

brianne

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 05:24:41 AM »
It was pretty bad the first few days, right after surgery it was like a 9ish.  Pain meds helped take away some of the pain.
Well...I was hoping to be off of them at 4 weeks, and now being almost four weeks I have had too many setbacks and will probably be on crutches for 8 weeks.  I am back to NWB for at least two weeks.  Everyone is different.
Hmmm, right now my job doesn't require that.  It will once spring comes around.  I guess I really cannot answer that one.4. 4. Will this really work? If it does, I do not care about the scar, but curious..... how ugly will me leg be? lol
I have had some setbacks in my recovery, BUT the constant pain I felt in my knee because my patella tracked incorrectly is gone.  That isn't bothering me anymore.  I am confident that once all this other stuff heals I will be in good shape.  Here is a link to my photos. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/brianne_kathrine/album?.dir=f8acre2&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos
I consider the scar a small price to pay for relief from all the pain.
I am on knee number one.  I thought heading into the surgery that my left knee was in good shape, but it has been so flared up since the surgery.  Its the exact same kind of pain I always felt with my right.  This is something I will discuss in about two weeks with my OS at my follow-up appointment.
I had the right done first.  I cannot drive yet.  I would imagine that you would be able to drive sooner with the left leg than with the right.
Invest in press n' seal and a stool for the shower and you should be in good shape.  I "showered" at five days post-op.
I was kept overnight and really glad that I was.  The pain can be pretty rough the first night.  My OS was concerned that going home might be too much for me to do the same day of surgery.  If and when I have my left leg done, I will definately request inpaitent.

support