Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Frustrated!!!  (Read 1734 times)

Offline catwoman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Frustrated!!!
« on: June 05, 2003, 07:46:06 AM »
I just really need to vent today.  I'm so tired of having a bum knee.  There are so many things I feel like I can't do or it's just too much trouble to get in and out of the car to go many places.  I've never been an athletic type, I just want to be able to take my trash can down the driveway (has quite an incline) or mow the yard or work in the flowerbed.

I had a "good knee day" yesterday and thought I'm finally making progress - don't get me wrong, I know I'm better off than after my accident/surgery - but then today my knee is pulling off to the left again and painful to the touch.  I don't know what I could have done to it unless I slept funny - that's another matter, miss sleeping on my stomach so much.  It just seems like I take one step forward and two steps back.  I want to be well!!!

My husband thinks it's all in my head and I should be all well by now.  Even my mother doesn't understand why it's taking me so long, my brother-in-law had arthroscopic surgery to repair his ACL and meniscus April 1st and he was up and around riding his Harley etc. within the month.  My surgery was February 12th!

I've taken a part time desk job (4 hours per day) but really need to get back to full time as the bills have really piled up on me adding more stress but I don't know if I can do 8+ hours per day yet and who will hire me with a bad leg?  Will they think I'm a medical risk?

Sorry to be so negative.  Thank you for letting me get it all out, it feels good to be able to talk to someone that understands what I'm going through.

Hope everything is going well for everyone out there!

Thanks again.

Shannon
« Last Edit: June 05, 2003, 07:51:26 AM by catwoman »
Fell 02/07/03 dislocated kneecap and tore quad tendon.  Open knee surgery 02/12/03 to repair tear and remove bone fragment.

Offline Ross

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • it only hurts when I larf!
Re: Frustrated!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2003, 02:25:54 PM »
Shannon, we all get the blues and need to let off a bit of steam from time to time!  

Yes, your brother in law is up riding his Harley, mate, I was back on the dreadful old weapon that I broke my femur and pelvis on within five weeks of the accident.  Motorcyclists do not neccessarily conform to any known rational form of behaviour!

We all heal at different rates and we all have different reasons for our actions (maybe if you bought a motorcycle?)  Don't be put off by others' perception of what your schedule for recovery should be.  It will be whatever it will be, that's the way of it!

God bless and love you Shannon, be at peace with yourself and may He who looks after us all grant you His healing grace.
I'm a grumpy old bear with a busted knee.  The growling you hear is my tummy rumbling!

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2003, 11:01:02 PM »
hi shannon,

i'm glad you voiced your feelings here--that is what we do best--listen and support and then need the same help ourselves.  we all understand that frustration cycle, especially when it gets fueled a bit by someone who doesn't quite get it.

ross said it well when he said that we all don't heal the same way in the same time frame.  i'm glad your bil was up and about so fast, good for him.  that doesn't change the fact that you are still sore and recuperating.

your job is to take care of yourself and follow the expert advice.  it is kind of cute how my hubby has done a complete reversal on my issues now that he had a surgery himself.  reality is reality and i'm sure that you need some support--so that your frustration with the pace of healing and limitations doesn't get the better of you.

please, go easy on yourself and take a deep breath when you get that unsolicited advice.  take care, sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2003, 12:36:59 AM »
Hi Shannon

Please don't lose faith at the moment, we've all gone through what you have at one stage or another, it's entirely natural to feel the way you are, it's part of healing, both mentally & physically.

You mention your husband isn't as understanding as you would like, thats hard I know but please, if you can, try to get him to recognise you are losing enthusiasm and courage in your fight, hopefully with his renewed support you can feel lifted to carry on.

If by chance your husband can't or won't, please do come to us, we'll always be here for words of advice, wncouragement and support unconditionally.

take care
Iona