Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Visualization  (Read 1918 times)

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
Visualization
« on: June 05, 2003, 01:35:03 AM »
Everyone at my PT and doctors' offices keep asking me how I remain so mellow about what's going on with my knee, and how I keep my optimism.

I'm not happy all the time, but when I'm down I do an exercise called visualization.  I take a place in my mind, or look at a picture, and imagine being there.  I imagine everything about it, what my senses are feeling, and how I got there.  

For me, it's the best medicine.  I thought I'd share one of my absolute favorite images for visualization exercises.  I took this photo on Bora Bora about 10 years ago, and when I'm down I imagine being on this beach, kicking off the sandals in the foreground, and sitting under the shade of the palm tree.  Heaven.

Does anyone else have a place they visit in times of stress?

Heather

Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
Re: Visualization
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2003, 04:41:15 PM »
When I was in my pain management treatment, one of the things we practiced daily was going to a place of peace. It was whatever you could imagine as being a "safe" place with no pain. We were encouraged to add sounds, sensations, even an "unseen advisor" to help us be peaceful. I always imagined somewhere warm, with the sound of waves and a warm sun touching my skin. Looks like your photo could be my perfect place! Thanks for sharing.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

SL99

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2003, 01:15:35 AM »
I love the visualisation idea too. When I was having a tough time at physio following my last surgery, Ibooked my holiday to Australia for the Indy car rcae. So to help me through the tough exercisesa and sessions I would close my eye and visulaise a picture of my favourite driver/car combination driving along the main back straigh, throught beach esses to a back drop of the rolling waves and perfect white sand at Surfers Paradise. If I was concentrating really hard I could even hear the engines sounds and the crashing waves too.  ;D

Might sounds silly but it really did help me to get through those exercises and acted as my spur, incentive and inspiration to keep trying.  :)

Enjoy where ever your personal escape is. Thinking of you and hoping you get to see that place for real too.

Love and hugs....Jo
xxx

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2003, 10:56:23 PM »
ooh--i'm so glad you are sharing photos with us.  this is so beautiful.  (i wanna go...lol)

visualization has been hard for me, i've tried it several times but seem to get interrupted from being able to REALLY go there.

maybe having the actual photo in tow would make it more do-able for me.

i love this picture...sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2003, 12:40:18 AM »
I've become very interested recently in meditation and visualisation, I found this website which has really helped me in further my meditation & visualisation, it's wonderful

http://www.derekacorah.org/meditation.shtml

Iona

Offline windbarb

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • They call me Weather Bunny!
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2003, 11:29:36 PM »
I use visualization for a great many situations... everything from handling pain to unwinding at the end of the work day.  One of my favorites is a great memory from my younger days... floating on my lake (Higgins Lake, MI) in a tube that I've tied to the boat, rocking on the waves... the sun is high enough to keep me warm, the water splashing enough to keep me from overheating... slight breeze... sounds of water lapping on the boat and the din of my family's voices... it's wonderful :).

Cheers,
Barb :)
1988-91: LK severe OSD, RK mild OSD
01/91: LK scope-flush. lingering pain
12/02: LK cortisone injection
3/03: LK scope-plica excision, partial synovectomy
11/04: L big toe cartilage/bone repair (fell)
now: L middle toe (broke; lingering pain), RK pain/swelling, neck pain/swelling