Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Best way to find surgeon who uses TruFit?  (Read 1894 times)

Offline msmcfad

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Best way to find surgeon who uses TruFit?
« on: September 23, 2006, 02:33:58 AM »
I believe I'm a good candidate for this procedure.  My OS thinks so too, even offering to try it before we consider the Carticel that he has already harvested and sent off to Cambridge.  However, he's only used the TruFit plugs for other bone procedures such as wedge osteotomies etc., not as cartilage plugs.  He says he's willing to start though, and it was interesting that he and I both brought up the possibility of TruFit during the same visit (I had just read an article, he just happened to bring it up before I did during the visit.) 

I'm not sure I want to be the first one he's done, even if he is the Chief of Surgery and the Chief of Ortho at this hospital.  So, how can I figure out who already uses TruFit plugs for cartliage transfers?  I've visited OBI's website and they don't have any kind of physician referral or locator like some of the other websites do.

Any ideas?  I've had the scopes, debridements, microfracture and synvisc injections to no avail.  Latest MRI a few weeks ago still shows the same defect on the MFC. approx 11mm x 5mm. 
8/2005-LK subtotal meniscectomy & patellar shaving
10/2005-unable to bear weight on LK, MRI shows OCD
1/26/2006-left knee microfracture for OCD,  biopsy for ACI
7/06&07 Supartz injections, minimal improvement
2014-MRI/films show bone on bone w/cysts,
PKR 6/2/14

Offline DJK

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: Best way to find surgeon who uses TruFit?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 01:04:01 PM »
In all honesty it sounds as if your OS is more than qualified...it really isn't a hard procedure...just takes a bit of time.  If he has done other OATS procedures then this is very similar, just that its a synthetic plug rather than real cartilage be it a cadaver or homegrown...It does sound as if you are a good candidate, my lesion was 12mmx22mm and was removed and backfilled...if this works there are talks that he may go back in and replace some more.  I assume that you are in the UK and not the States...if I am wrong then I can recommend a great Doc here in the Northeast.--DJK
L knee
scoped/debridement 10/02
Fulkerson 12/03
got unscrewed 9/04
scoped/debridement/LR 8/05
Allograft w/OBI plugs 8/10/06

Offline msmcfad

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 05:02:10 PM »
Thanks for your reply - it helps to hear another opinion.  Actually I am in the US, in the Southeast.

I hope yours works well and you can get any others taken care of the same way.  I see where OBI is going to sponsor or is already sponsoring trials of using their bone plugs in larger defects, possibly even for people with OA in the future.  My defect is pretty much the only one I have (I do have some mild patellar chondromalacia that is getting worse the longer this other thing goes on), it filled in slightly after the microfracture but has continued to hurt and I cannot walk normally let alone exercise or keep up with my kids well.  It was traumatic in nature after my meniscus surgery.  Need to do serious quad work before any further surgery so while I continue to strengthen quad and other necessary stabilization muscles on that side I thought I would get other opinions if I could figure out who to go see. 
8/2005-LK subtotal meniscectomy & patellar shaving
10/2005-unable to bear weight on LK, MRI shows OCD
1/26/2006-left knee microfracture for OCD,  biopsy for ACI
7/06&07 Supartz injections, minimal improvement
2014-MRI/films show bone on bone w/cysts,
PKR 6/2/14

Offline speer03

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 04:49:49 AM »
Excuse me for popping into the conversation but a couple of things if I may:

1 -  It is a very simple procedure and I would agree that if he has performed an OATS then it shouldn't be a problem

2 - Smith & Nephew just purchased OBI and contacting them for a rep in your area would be a way to find a surgeon who has done them before and isn't "getting started" on you.  He may be great, but the info would at least make the decision more confortable I would think. 

Smith & Nephew's headquarters are in Andover, MA.  Ask for tech support and talk to one of the ladies there...tell them Nate Speer referred you and they will all be VERY NICE and helpful, great ladies.  I'm in the NW or I'd help you myself.   ;)

Offline EMANN

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 03:52:24 PM »
Yes I called them and they gave me the distirbutor's number in the area.  I called him and he gave me the names of the DR.'s who use the OBI PLugs in the Western PA Area.....Sadly there are only two and none of them have used them on the patella yet!

support