Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Urgent rehab question...  (Read 1845 times)

Offline marcusesses

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Urgent rehab question...
« on: December 12, 2006, 01:03:01 AM »
Hello all...

I have a question for anyone who is willing to answer it (the more the merrier, I suppose...).

I'll start with a little history, I guess. I train for athletics (track and field) and tore my meniscus at the medial horn on the lateral side  (Does that make sense? If not, then I'll just say I tore my meniscus). I did this throwing javelin, during the follow through. My right knee landed perpendicular to the direction I threw and I landed on it (bending it laterally). There was no damage other than the meniscus.
 I had arthroscopic knee surgery to repair it on September 29th. They removed the torn cartilage, and sent me home. After the surgery, I started to do rehab and recovered very quickly (according to physio and people with experience with this sort of thing).
I was back running in 12 days, and was training at 100% after a month (beginning of November). I took days off or stopped doing something if there was pain, but everything was pretty much a-ok.
However, on December 2, I noticed that my knee was quite swollen (which was noticed by some other athletes as well). I took that day off, and iced, compressed, elevated, etc. It has now been 9 days and my knee is still quite swollen and I can feel pressure behind my knee.
Right now, my knee has lots of fluid in it (it felt like it did about 2 weeks after the surgery), it's quite swollen and there's pressure (something that wasn't there before). I was told I have a small Baker's cyst, but it is not problematic. Also, load bearing (especially running) causes pain, and I don't have the strength in the knee that I had  two weeks ago. I don't remember doing anything to it during a workout, it just got worse one day.
My problem is that, like I mentioned, I train in athletics and I have missed a week of training already. Our competitive season begins in less than a month, and I'm stressing out a little bit. I was wondering if anyone has had similar experiences or has any idea what could be wrong. I haven't been to a doctor yet, but hopefully tomorrow I can get in (*knock on wood*).

I hope that's enough knee information for you, and I hope I haven't forgotten anything. I'm new here as well, and I'm quite glad that I found this place, so I hope someone can help me.
It's kind of ironic as well, that after my knee surgery, I applied,and tentatively was accepted for a research position, where I'll be doing modelling of the knee (and total knee replacements). So maybe one day, I'll be able to help someone on this sight... :P

Thanks for reading, and I hope someone can help.....

Offline Jaci

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
  • User's Text
Re: Urgent rehab question...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 09:09:08 PM »
Marcus,

It sounds like you may have just pushed the rehab a little too fast, that would be my guess anyway.

You may want to try posting down further on the board in the 'meniscus' section. You're likely to get more responses there. Plus, you can follow other people's stories, it might give you some insight into what is going on with your knee.

Best of luck.

Jaci
10/03 Twist injury
12/03 Menisectomy- tears ACL, MCL, & LCL missed by OS
Arthrofibrosis ROM 38-68
3/04- 4/08 Multiple scar tissue procedures:
6 scopes w/LOA, AIR, LR, chondroplasty, synovectomy, bone spur & plica removal
3 insufflations, many injections
Chronic AF, patella infera, IPCS

support