Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Frozen knee post TTT - No ROM  (Read 8607 times)

Offline Jaci

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
  • User's Text
Re: Frozen knee post TTT - No ROM
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2006, 04:12:56 AM »
Larabelle,

I agree that the MUA even with a scope is a risky proposition. My second OS told me that he would be doing an MUA with a scope, unfortunately that's exactly what he did: MUA first!!! then a scope. If I had understood that was his plan I would have said NO! I thought he would scope it first, then do a light MUA to move my knee through it's range of motion. My knee looked like a giant eggplant after surgery; it was so purple from bruising that it was almost black. Of course severe brusing can lead to more scar tissue formation, which is exactly what happened in my case. After that surgery I did more research and gained a better understanding about the importance of having the surgery performed in an atraumatic manner, basically trying to fool the body into not thinking trauma has occurred.

One thing I'll point out about QBknee is that he went to one of the known arthrofibrosis experts. I would have a scope with an MUA in the hands of that particular OS because I know that he would use very little pressure for the MUA. In his articles he talks about using no more than two-fingers pressure. Unfortunately, as many of us have found, you can't count on your OS doing an MUA in the same manner.

I'll email the medical journal articles I mentioned to you. They're all from the last few years, so they reflect the most current thought on the subject.

Regards,

Jaci

10/03 Twist injury
12/03 Menisectomy- tears ACL, MCL, & LCL missed by OS
Arthrofibrosis ROM 38-68
3/04- 4/08 Multiple scar tissue procedures:
6 scopes w/LOA, AIR, LR, chondroplasty, synovectomy, bone spur & plica removal
3 insufflations, many injections
Chronic AF, patella infera, IPCS

Offline larabelle

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
    • Belle Photography
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 02:41:07 AM »
Hi everyone, I took on board all the help and advice I'd received (thank you so much, it was great to be armed with some knowledge), and had a CT scan done to see if scar tissue was the problem (and to see if my bone graft was solid).  The scan was good, so I had an MUA last Thursday, July 27th.  I'm writing to you from hospital.

My surgeon got me to 150 degrees bend on the table.  My quads were really tight, but that's to be expected after 3 months without use.  Since Thursday I've had a femoral nerve block providing anaesthetic to my leg, so pain is negligible.  I don't have much swelling, have no bruising, and I'm on a CPM.  It's been so healing for me to actually see it bend, to watch it track straight & true for the first time.  I've been doing some physio in hospital and I'm making progress. I sat in a chair today!  That's been a long time coming.  My nerve block was switched off this morning, so hopefully the pain won't be too bad.  It's been 4 days since the procedure so hopefully the worst will have passed.

I think my condition was due to physical stiffness of the joint (and my muscles) from long immobilisation, but a huge part of it was psychological fear about what this new knee would be like, and how safe it would be to bend.  I guess having an unstable knee for such a long time prior to my original surgery (since childhood) caused this fear.  To see it bend like this is truly marvellous!

I hope I keep improving and reaching new targets every day.  Walking still seems a bit out of reach, but I'm starting to walk with crutches already.  Thank you to everyone who gave me advice.   As much as I appreciate it, I hope I won't be needing too much advice in the future!
Subluxation in right knee since age 7
1-3 dislocations a year
TTT/Elmslie Trillat with bone graft on 26 Apr 06
MUA 27 Jul 06

Offline Jaci

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
  • User's Text
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2006, 04:39:42 PM »
hello,

Good luck with your recovery. I hope you continue to make progress and have a smooth recovery from here.

Take care,

Jaci
10/03 Twist injury
12/03 Menisectomy- tears ACL, MCL, & LCL missed by OS
Arthrofibrosis ROM 38-68
3/04- 4/08 Multiple scar tissue procedures:
6 scopes w/LOA, AIR, LR, chondroplasty, synovectomy, bone spur & plica removal
3 insufflations, many injections
Chronic AF, patella infera, IPCS

Offline larabelle

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
    • Belle Photography
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2006, 10:05:26 AM »
Well, a few months have passed now and my knee is bending well -- still weak and a little stiff, but I can get it easily to 100 degrees, and can sit in a chair, ride in a car, curl my legs up when I sleep and walk unaided (still not briskly but I hope that will come).  I'm giving myself until Christmas to walk at a normal pace, but that is approaching so fast!  It could be another couple of months off I think. 

I had no idea the recovery would be such a long, long journey.  And there were quite a few times when I doubted I'd walk again.  I've had a few close calls recently with loose pebbles and uneven ground, and I just know that with my old knee, it would've popped out for sure.  But it seems to be really stable now.  In those circumstances I still have heart failure for a second or two, but after that I can keep on walking!
1-3 dislocations a year
MUA 27 Jul 06

Offline ljohnston30

• Regular Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2006, 11:18:48 PM »
I am almost 5 weeks post op TTT with VMO Advancement and like you my OS does not want any bending my leg for 6 weeks because he put a tremedous amount of stitches in my VMO muscle and bending will cause them to rip.  I had complications with bruising so full weight bearing became NWB and stuck in this splint has made my leg waist away.  I start PT next thursday for the first time and I am nervous that what happened to you will happen to me.  I had a LR done on this knee a few years ago and the doctor found scar tissue in my knee which had never been operated on before. 

Anyhow my question is when you started PT did you transition from a splint to a ROM brace or did they take you out of the splint/brace and get rid of the crutches?
How did you transition out of the splint/brace after the 6 weeks.  I am scared they will just release me from the brace and I will have to be careful not to bend my knee too much on my own.  Did you transition from crutches to a cane? 

Thanks
Lynn 
39 y/o
9/04 Scope/Modified Fulkersons/LR
chondromalacia grade III&IV/Osgood Schlatters Disease/Arthritis (right)
03/03 Scope/removed screws & scar tissue/LR (right)
09/04 Scope/LR (left)
10/06 TTT/VMO advancement/LR (left)
12/06 Diagnosed w/RSD

Offline larabelle

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
    • Belle Photography
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2006, 06:42:51 AM »
Hi Lynn,

When my 6 weeks was up, I had the splint off during the day, but I left it on when sleeping.  I was a bit worried that I might get a violent knee jerk in my sleep (which had happened a couple of times during my first 6 weeks) and my physio said that part of the transitioning was to leave the splint on overnight. 

Once the splint was off, I had really expected the bend would come fairly easily, or at least gradually - and I was a bit scared about bending it too much too soon.  The plan was supposed to be to use 2 crutches initially while I was getting my bend back.  But as it turned out, my leg was stuck straight.  No-one ever identified exactly why that was.  After 6 weeks of trying desperately to bend it via physio, hot baths and even strong drugs, it hardly budged at all.  However I did have a CT scan and apparently it didn't show excessive scar tissue (as I'd feared). 

While I was trying so hard to get it bending, I used 2 crutches and got around with a straight leg.

In the end I had the manipulation under anaesthetic to get the bend going.  After that, I went from 2 crutches, down to 1, then down to the cane.  That transition was gradual, as I got more and more degrees of bend in the knee, and got better with  weight bearing. 

I hope that helps!  All the best with your recovery.
1-3 dislocations a year
MUA 27 Jul 06

Offline ljohnston30

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2006, 03:55:39 PM »
Thank you much for the information, hopefully scar tissue isn't too bad in my knee however I am worried, when I had my first surgery on my left leg it was a LR and the OS thought that I had previous surgeries on it because of the scar tissue.  Really weird that I had scar tissue without ever having surgery so now that I had surgery it makes me nervous.  I see the OS today for my 6 week check up and to get cleared to start PT.   My foot and toes are numb and tingly and my ankle is riddled with bruising still so it make walking alittle difficult.  Such a slow process to recovery    geez.  I start PT on Thursday so wish me luck and thanks again for your time.
cheers
Lynn
39 y/o
9/04 Scope/Modified Fulkersons/LR
chondromalacia grade III&IV/Osgood Schlatters Disease/Arthritis (right)
03/03 Scope/removed screws & scar tissue/LR (right)
09/04 Scope/LR (left)
10/06 TTT/VMO advancement/LR (left)
12/06 Diagnosed w/RSD

Offline larabelle

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
    • Belle Photography
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2006, 04:42:40 AM »
Good luck!  I hope it's not scar tissue.  I did get some good advice/articles from a couple of other knee geeks on scar tissue; so if you do have that problem, let me know and I'll send them to you.

No-one ever tells you how long and hard the recovery is for knee surgery!  I think all the surgeons think we're all world-class athletes or something!  Hang in there.
1-3 dislocations a year
MUA 27 Jul 06

support