Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: OATS - long term results  (Read 3164 times)

Offline grmblfx

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
OATS - long term results
« on: August 20, 2002, 03:46:29 PM »
Hi Stacy and everyone else here,

don't know if you're still in this board...anyway, if somebody else can help me...
(I'm from germany, so sorry for any grammar faults etc.)

I will have an OATS at Sept. 3rd, and I'm very afraid of it - in fact, I'm worried to death.
And the postings I read here don't calm me down...

So the healing seems to be very, very long, and a very hard time. I'm prepared for that - at least I hope...

Stacy, you posted (I found it somewhere) that the long term results for OATS are not quite good. Where did you find this information? I have not so much problems at the moment, rarely pain, but my doctor said, he would recommend the operation because of the (hopefully) better long term prognosis. But when the prognosis is low, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to let me operated.

Does anyone have new informations about the long term results of an OATS operation?

Thank you very much for any replies!

Daniel
« Last Edit: August 24, 2002, 04:07:38 PM by admin »
ACL on left knee (too long), partial meniscectomie (medial), chondromalacia 2-3. Now cyst in right kneecap, OATS on Sept. 3rd.

Offline martiniswiller

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: OATS - long term results
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2002, 04:09:01 AM »
Hi Daniel,
First off, good luck on your surgery, not much longer now.  I am scheduled for the same surgery on September 26th, and pretty nervous myself.  

I'm not sure what Stacy said, but my Surgeon said the long term results weren't available as it is a relatively new surgery.  She said that the 10-15 year results have been very positive.  She said that there really isn't much other information about it past that point.  I figure that if this operation lasts me 10-15 years, in that time I am sure there will be all sorts of advances being made in arthritis treatment.  
Please let me know how the surgery went, I am very anxious myself and would love to hear from you.  My Surgeon said 6-weeks non-weightbearing for the knee, there are some really good tips under the Pain Problems/Rehab topic under "6 weeks non-weightbearing- Showers".  Good luck!
LR on left knee 8/01, LR & Chondroplasty on right knee 1/02.. had OATS procedure 9/26/02. Possible torn meniscus in left knee, but battling breast cancer, so knee is on hold!

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
  • glad to have my knee back again
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2002, 07:41:13 PM »
Hi Daniel!

I, too, am scheduled for an OATS operation on Sept 16th.  My surgeon told me that the results for this are very good---he says over 80% of his patients have had dramatic improvement.  I think that otherwise, I would not be having this done.
You have already had your operation so I hope that everything went well for you and that you have a speed recovery.
Let us know how you are doing!

MJ
plica excision 05/01,  followed by OATS 09/02

Offline grmblfx

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2002, 07:14:01 PM »
Hi,

I had my operation on Sept., 3rd, and so far everything went okay. Pain was not so bad, I took pain relievers fpr 1 week, then I got problems with my stomach. But at the moment I have no pain without them, the knee only spans (tenses? strains?) a little bit when I get up. The time in hospital was really okay, I had a CPM which I used 15min every hour. The worst thing are the nights - laying one week on the back is really hard! Today I could leave the hospital, and at home, everything is quite a bit more complicated. And I miss the CPM and the daily PT. But I'm hopefully that  will get over the next 4 weeks and then can start with the rehab., and I hope that I will be okay.
So, so far I'm content, everything went better than expected.
I wish you good luck for your ops, and just tell when your are back!
Daniel
ACL on left knee (too long), partial meniscectomie (medial), chondromalacia 2-3. Now cyst in right kneecap, OATS on Sept. 3rd.

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2002, 01:48:30 AM »
Daniel--
How are you doing with your rehab?  It would be interesting to hear your story.  I am now one week post-op also with very little pain, on the cpm for 4 hrs/day and up to 90 deg.  On Tuesday i get the stitches out and see the wound and hear what's next.
good luck

MJ

Offline grmblfx

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2002, 01:34:05 AM »
Hi MJ,

in hospital, I had the cpm in my bed and used it all the day, about 15min/h.
As I had the OATS at the patella, I'm not allowed to use my quad (and so to stand on the leg) and flexion only up to 45 degree, both for 6 weeks.
Now I'm on week 4 post-OP, and I have PT 3 times/week. Mainly I try to keep the flexion (okay, I try to get MORE than 45 degree...) and to slow down the loss of muscle mass - frustrating...
I have absolutly no pain, but the scar tissue is very hard around the knee (it was made by arthrotomie, so the scar is very large), so we try to mobilise it (sorry, don't know the right words...)
In 2 weeks I will start with the rehab, I will do it for 3 weeks in a stationary (?) rehab center. I hope that I can start there to walk without crutches and increase my flexion up to 60-90 degree - i HOPE so, but I'm optimistic at the moment, because so far everything worked very fine, much better than expected!
I wish you good luck! Tell how you are!
Daniel

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2002, 03:52:16 AM »
Hi Daniel!

I am doing ok so far, too. No pain, like you and I am on the cpm machine at home for 3-4 hours/day.  My defect was/is in the middle of the femoral condyle and like you, the scar tissue around the incision (also arthrotomy) is very hard.  But I am only at 2 weeks post op so I hope this will get better with time.  With the cpm machine, I can bend my knee  to 90 deg which I think is wonderful.  I also have to do 50 leg lifts/days and also 50 quad sets.
Like you, this is going much better than I thought it would!
Good luck to you when you go for rehab; I have to wait another month and then I hope I will be allowed to put some weight on my leg and start a rehab program too.
Viel Glueck
MJ
ps/ ich spreche Deutsch, Sie koennen mich bei meiner e-mail Adresse schreiben wenn Sie wollen.

Offline EMANN

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 06:36:11 PM »
MY OS said 30% chance it will work on the patella......Seems very low to me?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 03:56:41 PM by EMANN »

Offline Cinammo

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 08:36:10 PM »
Grmblfx,

How long were you in the Hospital for the OATS procedure?  My son is having his on the 29th and it's same day surgery.  He'll be home that evening.
My 17 year old son had the OATS procedure on November 29th, 2006. He has two previous scopes on the right knee and one on the left.

Offline EMANN

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 08:43:48 PM »
How many years is OATs/Mosaicplasty supposed to last if it works?

Please post if you know or had it done  long ago.

support