Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MRi results  (Read 2721 times)

Offline nuketroop

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MRi results
« on: October 25, 2006, 05:59:57 PM »
Wow, almost unsure where to post to!  A great deal of information.

Almost 3 weeks ago I cut down a large tree limb and it fell on my left leg (knee mostly, but it did strip the skin and bruise down the leg).  Wen't to hospital, no broken bones.

Pa thought I'd torn my Meniscus and sent me for an MRI.  He basically stated the results were ok and no tear, but arthritis (Never mentioned the swelling on the inside left leg or numb spot on it (hurts when depressed).  He's going to send me to PT and I thought I'd get ya'lls take on it that might've been through the PT route (or other).

MRI.
FINDINGS:  There is a mild degenerative signal within the posterior horn of the medial meniscus not extending to an articular surface to indicate a tear.  No displaced medial meniscal fragments.  Cruciate ligaments are intact.  Extensor mechanism is normal.  Medial and lateral collateral ligamentous complexes are intact.

medial and lateral compartmental cartilage show very minimal surface irregularity.  No high grade fibrillation or full thickness cartilage defects.  Patellofermoral cartilage also shows mild surface irregularity, but no high grade fibrillation or full thickness defects.  There is a very tiny knew joint effusion.  No baker's cyst.  Bone marrow signal shows no fracture or marrow replacing lesion.  Muscle signal is normal.

IMPRESSION
1.  Mild degenerative signal within the posterior horn of the medial meniscus without MR specific evidence for a tear.
2.  Grade II Tricompartmental chondromalacia.
3.  Very tiny knee joint effusion.
So, that said (what did it say??  ;)

Should I continue with PT or see a knee doc (Osteopath??)  I've always had issues squatting (no impossible).  Use a cane to keep me steady and keep some of the pain away.  Maybe just time... 

Thanks for the advice, and best wishes for all suffering knee issues.

-Tom

Offline Kai

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: MRi results
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 02:07:03 AM »
Hey Tom..   that looks like a pretty good MRI report.  The only thing that would concern me is the irregular signal on the meniscus.  MRI's are not good at diagnosing meniscus tears; reporting no tear when one exists or reporting a tear when there isnt  one...   The good news is that all your ligaments are intact and even the OA is not full thickness.  If it was my knee I would treat it conservatively with RICE and PT.  IF it doesnt resolve in a month or so I would see an OS for arthroscopic examination (meniscus tears usually dont heal)  Good luck
ACLR - (patellar BTB autograft) left knee - May 31, 2006
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Feb 20, 2008
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Aug 11, 2008

Offline nuketroop

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 06:49:40 PM »
Hello Kai/L.Thomas,

Thanks so much for the info! 

That's pretty much what the OS said that I saw yesterday.  He does think the patella was moved by a tree limb that fell on my knee causing all this and I have associated swelling.  He injected my knee and said if the swelling/pain doesn't go away in 1.5 weeks (appt 18-Dec), it's likely due to something else and will need arthroscopic to find it, but if it works, I guess my world will be great again (guess it's at least good since the limb didn't crush my knee/leg)!

L.Thomas, best wishes for success and recovery for your upcoming TKA (Had to go look it up).

Thanks again

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Louann in Tennessee/USA
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 02:10:31 AM »
Update on TKA...had pre-surgery consultation..gave blood for use if needed in surgery (autofusion???)..pre-surgery
PT this week..physical next week..Conference with joint replacement center director of education the next week and surgery the next week.  I must say I am getting excited. 

I asked the PT to compare ACL reconstruction and knee replacement and he said the recovery & pt were the same...Oh what a relief.  The recovery has scared me sooo much, but I know what I can expect now and I know I can do it.

I was always under the impression that TKA was an elective surgery that could be doen any old time...which is true BUT I found out from my OS and PT that range of motion before surgery is the best indicator of range of motion after surgery...60% of surgeries your range of motion does not increase.  SO the longer you wait, the more you have to lose.
Mulitple Knee surgeries/ TKA: 06  
Left Hip femoroplasty : 08   
Post Op- TKAinTN 06: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33906.

support