Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Bonnie's (bonstarr) 10/10/06 LTKR  (Read 40150 times)

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Louann in Tennessee/USA
Re: Bonnie's (bonstarr) 10/10/06 LTKR
« Reply #330 on: February 23, 2007, 04:34:24 AM »
Age ...well it depends on if I am with my husband (totally gray and thinning) or my kids...young and old
Mulitple Knee surgeries/ TKA: 06  
Left Hip femoroplasty : 08   
Post Op- TKAinTN 06: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33906.

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • finally walking correctly...no limp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #331 on: March 10, 2007, 01:31:15 AM »
Hi All,
Just checking in to say I'm alive!!!!!  Since getting back to work and sitting at my desk and on my computer all day, it's been hard to do the same at home.  My knee is doing well, just wish I was able to strenghten my quad some more, but am having hip issues (bursitis, muscle spasms, sciatica).

It will be 5 months post op tomorrow and I can honestly say that in the last few weeks I pretty much am finally walking "normally", even though it actually feels weird.

It's been a long road, but am so glad I made the trip....
1969 - LK partial meniscus removal
1987 - LK arthroscopy, 4 mos non-weight bearing, 6 wks full leg cast
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
1994 - LK allograft, open incision
1996 & 2001 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #332 on: March 10, 2007, 02:35:49 PM »
Hi Bonnie
Good to hear from you!

and
Happy Anniversary for tomorrow............of course that makes it 8 months for me today!
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #333 on: March 10, 2007, 09:07:11 PM »
Bonnie:

It's good to hear from you! I also find that I don't have as much time to be online since going back to work. I still have two days at home for the next couple of weeks, then I'll go in every afternoon. For now, I'm still keeping the mornings for doing my exercises before I go to work.

I will be four months post-op on Friday (also my 50th birthday....a big day, I guess!). I feel like maybe I've turned a corner as this week went on, and my pain is much less. Let's hope that continues.

I've been working hard on walking with the correct gait, but my OS says I'm still not walking quite right  :-[. My quad isn't strong enough and I don't walk fast enough yet, but he says the brain will automatically make the correct movements when my quad gets stronger. So that's my mission for the next month....to strengthen my quad. I ran out of PT visits, so I'm working on my own now.

Anyway, it's good to know you're alive and still kicking.
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #334 on: March 10, 2007, 09:27:39 PM »
Yeah, I can even kick with my TKR leg! 

Janet, I'm a month ahead of you and just got my gait about right, but even at the end of a long day I sometimes limp a bit, but its probably more from my hip.  I'm still walking kinda slow (have definetly gotten better), but I walked slowly for so many years I keep having to remind myself that I can go faster.

It will come for you.

Anja, Its disturbing to me that you can't get an appointment with your OS for your son - keep hounding your GP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #335 on: March 10, 2007, 10:19:32 PM »
erm Bonnie - whom or what exactly are you kicking? :o

My knee clunks like mad if I make a kicking movement - doesn't hurt though.

Will ring the outpatient people again on Monday - shame the letter went missing ???  I knew it would take longer as you don't get too much choice of OS here - but I was determined that our OS would be the only one to touch him!
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #336 on: March 10, 2007, 10:28:40 PM »
Bonnie,

I was thinking of you the other day.   What is that commercial. >>> Life comes at you fast.   I cant believe the last few months and really the whole of last year is such a blur to me.   

My OS said to me I will always have OA pains.     Which is not a bad trade off for me in my case.    I was crawling and hopping and in pretty bad shape before my surgery.  The little things we take fore-granted.     Sure I guess we all expect we can be 100%  but 93% is not so bad either.

Janet  Exercise is something we have to do for the rest of our lifes.  It is all about changing habits.    Happy Birthday Week.   Remember you can always say you are as old as your replacement  :)      How Old are you... Well,  98% of me is.. but there is that 2 % that is only a few months.

Anja  -  Best not to ask Bonnie what she kicked it might incriminate her. 

I made it up from the bath tub a bit easier this week.   Something I took forgranted.. so many years.. hehe..    Anybody want to buy a used walker?

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #337 on: March 10, 2007, 10:43:16 PM »
and a pair of sticks!! ;D

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Louann in Tennessee/USA
« Reply #338 on: March 11, 2007, 04:18:53 AM »
erm Bonnie - whom or what exactly are you kicking? :o

My knee clunks like mad if I make a kicking movement - doesn't hurt though.

Will ring the outpatient people again on Monday - shame the letter went missing ???  I knew it would take longer as you don't get too much choice of OS here - but I was determined that our OS would be the only one to touch him!

I had the normal clunk but I also had a clunk with lateral movement that was not normal.  My clunks did not hurt either.  My OS put me in an immobilzier brace at nigth for a month.  It worked for the time I wore the brace and for about 2 weeks after I stopped sleeping in it.  I go back the 27 for my 3 month check and he will decide what I need to do then.
Mulitple Knee surgeries/ TKA: 06  
Left Hip femoroplasty : 08   
Post Op- TKAinTN 06: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33906.

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #339 on: March 12, 2007, 12:29:51 AM »
Now Girls, that was alive and kicking - just an expression, but I can finally kick my comforter off of me with the TKR leg, hadn't been able to really do that for a while.

Annie, yeah , life does come at you fast, sometimes it blurrs - I know exactly what you mean.  Took my first bath about a month ago, waited that long cuz was afraid I wouldn't be able to get out normally and would be disappointed, but I did it - I also cheated cuz I have grab bars, but not even the bar helped me pre-TKR.
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #340 on: March 12, 2007, 12:34:45 AM »
At least I didn't loose my post - but it got posted before I finished.

My knee kind of clicks or clunks when I walk too, OS said it will always be there, that eventually I won't notice it.  My PT says that the stronger my quad get the less it will clunk.
Time will tell.

Anja, i agree with you about waiting for the OS that you have confidence in.

Annie, just heard that spriing is in the air in your area, it will make it easier to get out and about.
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

Offline e.lynch

• Regular Poster
« Reply #341 on: March 12, 2007, 01:37:29 PM »
Good Morning Ladies:  Its nice to know that i am not the only one out there that is not 100% back to normal.  I have another call into the doctor (god, i hate being a pain in the ass) I am on pain meds twice a day, 2 in the am when i first wake up and 2 when i get home from work, they do help and without them i would not be able to do what i have to do.  This cold snap really killed me as i have a burning pain down the quad (from my hip to my knee) with pain to the touch on the outside of the knee.  THe damn hamstring feels like there is an elastic being pulled to the max, and it is as if it need to be cut so that i don't have the pain when i walk. I had partial on the left; total on the right.  The left knee never gave me any problems.  Here i am 9 months out and i have a heating pad on my knee at work.  Any advise?
Ellenmarie

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #342 on: March 12, 2007, 09:59:03 PM »
Tell ya what ellenmarie - my OS said it can take up to a year before it feels like getting 'normal' again!!

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #343 on: March 12, 2007, 11:13:46 PM »
My OS said the year thing as well but may experience the OA pains from time to time .  Be patient he tells me.   I reckon one should be inspired by the turtle.

Sooner or later you might wind up in color.

Offline e.lynch

• Regular Poster
« Reply #344 on: March 12, 2007, 11:42:18 PM »
Thanks for all the words of wisdom, its nice to know that i am not alone.
Ellenmarie