Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Bonnie's (bonstarr) 10/10/06 LTKR  (Read 39447 times)

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
Re: Bonnie's (bonstarr) 10/10/06 LTKR
« Reply #345 on: March 14, 2007, 04:34:48 PM »
My OS told me the knee continues to heal for 18-24 months, but most people feel "normal" by 12 months. I was just talking to someone the other day who said it took 12 months for her, but since then it has been wonderful. So that's encouraging.

I think we also need to remember that when we say we are back to work or going out shoppping or whatever, that doesn't mean we are doing it normally, without pain or pain meds. I thought by now I would be back at work full time and not really in that much pain...maybe just slower and a little sore. But when I look back, it was just a month ago that I went to work for the first time....stayed two hours then came home and slept for two hours. My boss told me the other day that when he saw me at work those first couple of times, he wasn't sure I should be back. Now I can work a full afternoon and not take a nap when I come home, and I'm not too sore as long as I don't walk all over the building. I'm glad I'm keeping a journal so I can look back and see where I was a month ago, otherwise I don't think I'd really realize the improvements I am making because it is so slow.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #346 on: March 14, 2007, 04:53:29 PM »
Janet,  I am so proud of you.  Your words are so wise and so true. 

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • finally walking correctly...no limp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #347 on: March 20, 2007, 12:09:31 AM »
Hi Girls,
I'm back.  Had my surgical procedure this past Friday (3/16) - polyp removed from my uterus, so I was a bit stressed and nervous, but all went well, just a bit crampy now.  Will get the biopsy report sometime this week, but the doctor is not concerned.

I too have heard both from my OS & PT that it takes "up to a year" to feel "normal" every time  I utter the smallest complaint.  It's been 5 months since the surgery, and I'm far from "normal", but I can really see the changes I've made especially in the last month - 5 weeks.

No one told me how much patience I needed.................

Hope you are all doing well,
bonnie
1969 - LK partial meniscus removal
1987 - LK arthroscopy, 4 mos non-weight bearing, 6 wks full leg cast
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
1994 - LK allograft, open incision
1996 & 2001 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #348 on: March 20, 2007, 07:23:44 PM »
Hi Bonnie
good to see you back safe and well - hope those results are as your doctor thinks ;D

You def need patience!

anj
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #349 on: March 21, 2007, 06:12:56 PM »
Bonnie: You're right....patience is our buzz word! As long as things keep improving, I guess that's all we can ask at this point. It's just that as time goes on the improvements are smaller and not easily measured. But when you think back a month, then the improvement shows!

Glad your surgery went well and I hope the "crampy" feeling goes away soon.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #350 on: March 25, 2007, 06:19:38 PM »
You're right Janet, we keep needing to remind ourselves how far we've come.

Anja, feeling much better, although I had the week from hell at work, wouldn't you know it?  I see my doctor on Tuesday for post-op check, but sure that everything is fine.

Are you still a non-smoker????
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #351 on: March 28, 2007, 08:25:08 AM »
starting injections on my left knee this week for five weeks.  one day I will be pain free.

Offline e.lynch

• Regular Poster
« Reply #352 on: March 28, 2007, 06:03:38 PM »
Youre starting injections on a left total knee replacement, may i ask why
Ellenmarie

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #353 on: April 22, 2007, 12:31:56 AM »
Had my 6 month post-op last week and my OS was very pleased and finally admitted that he was "really concerned" about the outcome of my surgery before he did it due to the number of previous surgeries and the amount of scar tissue I had.

So he said, see you in 6 months - AWESOME!  Now if only my hip and back would co-operate, I would be a new woman.

Annie, how are the shots going?  I had good results with them in the past.

Ellenmarie, Annie had a TKR of her right knee, the injections are for her "other" knee.

Janet, you're a month behind me, so we are getting there.
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #354 on: April 22, 2007, 03:24:34 AM »
Bonnie good to hear you are getting a good report card.  My hip and back settled down alot over the past month.  Next week I go for shot five and a cortizone to sweeten the deal.  I feel it may help to get me over the summer months. I feel like there is a tear or even worse.  May 10 I go for a standing xray on it.   My Doc is saying the s word..  he wants to scope it.  I rather not at this point and just giving him the evil eye when he mentions more surgery.  I have this fear of another joint collapse and in december he told me there would be no value in scoping it.. .. so I wonder what changed his mind on it..

I am walking the best I have since 2005 right now..  I feel greedy to give it up to another surgery..   Or perhaps I am just not ready  to do another surgery.. So I am doing the shot thing and being optmistic..  and well if it becomes time to have the other knee done.. I feel I know how low I can go in mobility before I know its the right time .. Does that make sense.. ???????

Went back to work a few months ago and go a promotion and more $$ and six weeks vacation.. one week personal and one week sick..   

As for my TKR  I can honestly say that at times I get a little weather related stuff that hurts and sometimes a bit of pinching.
There is that factor of not knowing when I am doing too much..  and my left knee is the one that hurts the most when over doing it..   So lefty is holding me back. ..  I have come a long way..  Wearing platform shoes , Wearing loafers with birkenstock arch supports in them.   and a few pairs of eurowellness sandals.. they have an arch support in them as well and do not look hippy dippy .. like birkenstocks tend to do.

I tossed my ryka sneaker shoes in a fire and got rid of the ghosts of the past..   bad memory's walking in sneakers all the time.

I am just a little over four months now with my knee.  The most important thing I keep with me is I heal at my own rate. I have maybe a left knee that is going to be bionic as well soon than I would like to go through a TKR operation .. but I been there and done it.. and done it with style. 

Bonnie I want to thank you again and again for the many times you called and brightened my spirits and shared one of my darkest moments .. But  we got threw it together somehow..  We are tuff cookies!!!

Did you hear about the Governer of NJ?  When I heard about his crash I only can pray for him since I personally feel it will be a miracle if he walks again and gets out of the hospital alive.

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #355 on: April 24, 2007, 02:40:52 AM »
Bonnie: It is so good to hear from you again! Life goes on, doesn't it? Congrats on your six month check-up. That's wonderful news. My OS usually seese patients at 6 months, but he has been seeing me every four weeks, has sent me back to PT to see if we can clear up some issues, and wants to see me at 7 months now. He will be as happy as I am (well, almost) if I come back happy. Originally  he said most people feel better about three months. Then I had the MUA and he said I'd be happy at six months. At five months, he told me it could be 12-18 months. So I hope I can surprise him at seven months!

You're right that you're about a month ahead of me and Anne is about a month behind. It's interesting how we all heal and progress differently. That just about says it all, doesn't it?

Annie: Throwing your old shoes in the fire sounds like a great idea. I realized by accident the other day that my old orthotics (because of my heel bursitis....a whole other story) were actually making my knee hurt. So I put them quickly in the drawer. The next step is new sneakers. And even though I still have some pain when I walk...after 15-20 minutes it really hurts....I am already walking with a much more normal gait than I have in the last eight years. So that's progress, too.

Janet

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #356 on: April 25, 2007, 12:58:24 AM »
I'm still at the office and it almost 8pm, but thought I would just check in...

Annie, a promotion - how awesome is that???? CONGRATULATIONS!!! Don't sweat the other knee yet - you already know that a scope is miles away from a TKR, if it gets to that.  I wish I could throw away my sneakers. At work I wear what I call my "orthopedic shoes", flat black loafers w/rubber soles - ugly.  One day I wore little kitten heels to work, I had to take them off and walk barefooted the rest of the day, horrible.

Janet good for you, its great to be able to walk relatively "normally" after so long.  I too am walking without a limp - its been years.  It just feels funny to me and I think everyone can "see" what I'm feeling, they all say its all in my head, what else is new?

Take care, gotta get out of here. I will try to check back very soon.
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #357 on: April 25, 2007, 10:20:08 PM »
Hey Bonnie - GO HOME! ;D you shouldn't be working that late!

Annie - well done with the promotion! I actually got a great pay rise this year - but no extrea holiday - still on 28 days.

All this talk of throwing out old shoes - my hubby said to do that - maybe we should all go shoe shopping!!

1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #358 on: April 26, 2007, 03:47:22 PM »
There's an ad running on the radio right now where a woman is home sick. You hear the doorbell ring, and her friends say something like: "We heard you were sick. We brought SHOES!" It makes me laugh every time!

I've had an interesting time the last few days. I have been taking a low dose of Oxycontin for five months now. The written prescription has to be sent to me in the mail every month since the doctor is quite a ways away and they can't "call in" a narcotic. I called for a refill last week, but for some reason the prescription was lost in the mail and never came. I ran out on Sunday, and my knee has not been worse. That's the good news. The bad news is that I have not been feeling well and can't sleep because of an itching/creepy crawly/twitching feeling in my arms, legs and chest. Turns out I've been having withdrawal symptoms because you shouldn't stop the medication abruptly. So now I'm taking something else to help wean off the Oxycontin. I finally slept last night and feel somewhat better today. But it's been weird.

Hope everyone's feeling better. Now I need to get back to work!

Janet

Offline lilly_kc

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #359 on: April 26, 2007, 07:18:02 PM »
Janet I had something like that happen also when I quit taking percocet (oxycodone) after 1st TKR - used it for about 8 weeks. Also, my stomach was really upset, thought it was the flu. Weird. Glad you are feeling better and knee doesnt hurt!!!!! :-)

I am 2 weeks post TKR #2, here we go again! Seems to hurt worse, but maybe like having baby #2, you sort of forget. . . .
Got staples out yesterday and all looks good. No walker or anything, feels strong, just hurts. Onward......
Kathi
TKR Left  10.26.06   WOW awesome - I can jazzercise again!
Right rescheduled for 04.12.07

For everything there is a season.... (this year has been my "knee" season)