Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Bonnie's (bonstarr) 10/10/06 LTKR  (Read 40149 times)

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • finally walking correctly...no limp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Photos of My New Knee
Bonnie's (bonstarr) 10/10/06 LTKR
« on: October 23, 2006, 12:40:22 AM »
Hi & so glad I've finally crossed over to the other side!

My surgery was scheduled for 7:30 am on 10/10/06, had to be at the hospital at 5:30am!  Elected not to have general anesthesia simply because it has always been easier for me to "snap out of it" after surgery with an epidural.  This time I had a spinal (very similar to epidural, just injected in a different spot.
OS was "very pleased with the outcome" of the surgery, which gave me confidence, because prior to surgery he had talked about the difficulties due to lots of scar tissue from previous open surgeies.  When I asked him about the scar tissue, he replied by saying, where wasn't there scar tissue?
The day of surgery I walked several steps and used the CPM machine. I was amazed because I was expecting to walk the day after surgery.  For me, the first 48 hours afer surgery were unbearable, but on the 3rd day everything changed, as my surgeon told me it would.  He was going to take me off the morphine pump, but decided to let me keep it, which helped immensely with the CPM machine.

By thursday afternoon, I had reached 90 degrees using the CPM, Friday afternoon my OS released me and I was transported by ambulence to a skilled nursing facility for rehab about 45 miles away in the middle of Friday evening rush hour traffic, so the trip took about 1 1/2 hours - no sirens, thank goodness.  Unfortunately I arrived at the worst possible time - the weekend - nothing was ready for me, there was even someone in my room!  No CPM machine, no reclining chair, no raised commode, no electric bed and worst of all, not enough pain meds.  The nurse assigned to me over the weekend would not give me ice (there was no order for ice !?!?) as a result my entire leg down to my toes swelled up.  The facility doctor finally saw me Monday evening and immediately changed my pain meds, wrote an order for ice (ridiculous) and ordered a dopler study to make sure that there was no clot, which there wasn't. Finally Mon evening the CPM machine arrived and Tuesday  morning I got an electric bed.  It felt like I lost a few days but things were finally looking up. The pain is tolerable unless I"m excercising, which is expected.

The best part of the rehab facility was that it was pet friendly, so hubby brought my dog each time he visited. It was great sitting and talking to hubby while my dog curled up at my feet!

I learned that 90 degrees on a CPM machine is not bending 90 degrees on your own...I think I'm at about 92 degrees on my own, was measured on Thursday.  I came home from rehab today (Sunday)  and what a joy it is to be home. 

I am still using a walker - a bit dissapointing since I thought I would be using a cane by now, but ok. I see the OS tomorrow for staple removal and to find out about continued therapy. etc. and then I can take a shower!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More tomorrow,

Bonnie
1969 - LK partial meniscus removal
1987 - LK arthroscopy, 4 mos non-weight bearing, 6 wks full leg cast
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
1994 - LK allograft, open incision
1996 & 2001 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

Offline ladypenelope

• Forum Faithful
Re: Bonnie's (bonstarr) 10/10/06 LTKR
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 12:26:36 PM »
Hi Bonnie,

Lovely to see you are back on the right side of a TKR!  Have been reading your postings with Ange.  Just take things easy and they will all come together and DON'T OVER DO IT!

Best wishes.  Sandra
Washout both knees August 2003
TKR January 2004 Right Knee
PKR April 2005 Left Knee
Am very pleased got no more knees!

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 12:59:44 PM »
Glad to see you are home and doing quiet well. 

Offline lilly_kc

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 07:27:42 PM »
Bonnie - welcome home! You have been much on my mind - so good to hear that things are moving along for you. Keep on ..... keeping on ...... this will be soooooo worth it.

Hugs, Kathi
TKR Left  10.26.06   WOW awesome - I can jazzercise again!
Right rescheduled for 04.12.07

For everything there is a season.... (this year has been my "knee" season)

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 08:27:38 PM »
Hi Bonnie!!

so pleased to see you back!!

Now you take it easy and at your pace - don't overdo it - obviously keep up with the exercise - I found the more often I did them the less sweling I got and it kept the joint mobile - gets a bit stiff otherwise!

Don't be suprised if you get really bad muscle spasms when you go to sleep - nobody told me about these - they can be incredibly painfull - think it is just the nerve endings and muscles coming back to life - scared the heck out of me when I got them.
You will soon be on your sticks - have you tried them yet - I really did find them so much easier than the frame - whice Iactually only used a couple of times - they seem to get us up and off the frame very quickly here compared to America - we don't got to rehab -  places either - they just kick you out after 5 - 8 days and you  have to get on with it - I actually had to ask for a physio referal - apparently our hospital only sends you to physio if you have problems - I only went to 3 sessions - actually did more by myself - the only really usefull bit was having the rom measured!

How does it feel? probably still quite painfull when the meds start to wear off - but no arthritis pain eh! so nice!
When you have your staples out it will feel much better as well as you will be more comfortable bending - they do make the movement a bit restrictive - that is another different thing - I was allowed to shower on day 3 - just changed the dressing after the shower.

now you take it easy and keep us posted - great hearing from you - any questions just ask okay?!! ;D will help as best we can.
have a good nights sleep - so much better being in your own bed!! (set the alarm clock for your pain meds)

big hugs
anja
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 06:33:45 PM »
What a day I had yesterday...went to OS for staple removal, nurse removed all 44 staples - yes I know I have a very large scar (due to 2 previous open surgeries and lots of scar tissue).  Nurse told me that the OS was not very happy, due to the fact that a hip replacement patient that had checked himself out of the hospital after only one day was back with an infection.  The OS was so angry, we could hear him yelling through the closed doors!  My OS has quite a reputation and isn't used to having his orders ignored.  When he came in to see me, he didn't even say hello, just told me to bend and then wanted to know why I was so stiff?  He said that I had been at 110 degrees (I thought is was 90) when he last saw me in the hospital and that now I was barely bending 70 degrees.  He insisted that I begin PT immediately and luckily my therapist (she worked with me for my last surgery in 2001 & rehabbed hubbies back in 2003) was able to see me at 4pm.

She took one look at my swollen leg (knee down to my toes)  and said no wonder you can't bend it!  She was great and I finally felt that I was in good hands.  She did some massage which got the swelling down a bit and then I saw stars when she bent it to 100 degrees. I was so beat when I got home yesterday that all I could do was ice.  Didn't even have the energy for that much needed shower.

woke up this morning with less swelling, having sleep with leg elevated on pillows per PT.  finally took a shower!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hubbie had to drag me out.

Had another PT appointment this morning, this time with someone who does lymphatic drainage massage.  Wow what a difference, she got so much selling gone that I actually had an ankle!  Without much help from her, I had a 95 degree bend on my own.

Now I'm on the recliner with ice doing some ankle pumps and glad that I can finally relax.

Anja, you are so right, things are done so differently.  I've had mucsle spasms in my calf, usually after a good walk.  So far no spasms at night, just stiffness, it gets so stiff, so quickly.

Sandra, I will try not to overdo it if only I knew where that fine line is between doing to much and not doing enough.  Any ideas?

Hugs to all,
bonnie
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 08:14:21 PM »
Hi Bonnie
Have just sent you a long email! ;D
so good to see physio helping.

now just a question - you say you have your leg elevated on pillows at night - it is not bent over the pillow is it? 'cos that not good. - my os said it was best just to keep it straight or lie on side with pillow between legs - basically anyhow that is comfy - as long as not lying on back with leg bent.

The not overdoing it is a fine line - but you will soon get used to it - and keep overdoing it - think we all do that - luckily though as time goes on the recovery is quicker - just be sure you are not upping the pain meds so you can do more - don't wanat to mask 'damage pain' - but keep on them regularly -I got brave/stupid and tried to cut back too quickly!!

Have a good day - hope the sun is shining for you.

hugs
anja
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !

Offline ladypenelope

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 08:52:36 PM »
Hi Bonnie,

Good to see that you are slowly getting back into your stride! (sorry about that! ???)  As far as overdoing things just let you leg tell you how much you can do, you will know when enough is enough.  My husband and I went away in our trailer three weeks after having my TKR and I managed Ok, couldn't help him set things up but managed most things, fortunately it's more confined that our house so some things in fact were easier. 

As Ange said, keep on doing the exercises, they seem to be the key to getting back to normal. 

Keep well.  Sandra.
Washout both knees August 2003
TKR January 2004 Right Knee
PKR April 2005 Left Knee
Am very pleased got no more knees!

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 09:28:26 PM »
Bonnie,

Are you wearing your TED stockings?    Since the staples are removed, Are you able to start aqua ?   I find that helps the most

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 02:18:49 AM »
Annie, never got to wear Ted Hose  :(.  Didn't ask about aqua therapy yet.  How are you feeling?  better I hope.

Sandra, hope I can go away 3 weeks after surgery...that would be next week!

Anja, not to worry, the pillow is only to elevate to help reduce the swelling, my knee is not bent.  Wish I could sleep on my side, but can't seem to get comfy even though thats the way I always used to sleep. 

My ankle is so swollen again, and sore on one side  ???

PT again tomorrow morning and then in the afternoon I see my internist to draw blood to test for coumadin levels and to get pain meds renewed.

Thanks girls!
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 06:35:23 PM »
Bonnie

I CAN'T believe you don't have ted stockings - you really nust wear them - not only do they help prevent DVT but they also really help with that swelling - when you see your physio tomorrow - get some off her - otherwise if you can't get them - wear flight socks. They really are important please do it.

Try putting a pillow between your legs to lie on your side - not one that is too fat - just to stop your new knee feeling the pressure of the other knee.

Are you pleased with your new knee?

take care
anja

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 07:48:49 PM »
I guess the reason they didn't prescribe the ted hose is because i''m on coumadin, but I will ask tomorrow. 

A good amount of the swelling has gone down, so am able to feel my new knee more, some clicks and a bit of instability (very poor quad).  My PT says I'm doing well, got to 105 degrees today screaming all the way and went from -12 to -5 straigtening it.

Anja, how did you bend it on your own?  Which excercises did you find helped most?

We actually had two "cool" days, 65 degrees F in the am and about 75 degrees now, with only 43% humidity, which is really very dry for us.  Beautiful blue skies and puffy white clouds.

Going to start getting ready for my doctors appointment - will try to post later.
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 07:54:09 PM »
Believe it or not My doctor wanted me to wear TEDS after my Jan operation at night.  So I got these little black sexy numbers.    TED stockings  ofcourse but with lace.   I think coumadin is only for blood thinning. But the TEDS help circulation.  I had a few black and blues on my right leg after my operation..  Cant hurt to ask.

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 08:10:08 PM »
Hi Bonnie

I had the blood thinners and teds - teds for 6 weeks 24 hrs a day!! - no swelling below knee.

urm how did I bend my knee - think I sat on a chair and just kept moving my lower leg so it bnt more. - I would also sit in my armchair with my foot on the big leather footstool and with the teds on (slippery) would just push my leg to and fro bending and straightening it. Good luck at the docs!
anja

Offline bonstarr

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Photos of My New Knee
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 10:36:03 PM »
Blood results were fine as far as the cumadin levels, but I was a wee bit anemic and something was a bit off with regard to my liver - so the dr will have lab do another test and I should find out on monday.

forgot to ask about the ted hose, but there is very little swelling left - those lymphatic drainage massages worked wonders.  I went from beyond huge to close to normal in 4 days.  Bend was 110 degrees on my own and 115 with just a little help from PT.

Looking forward to sleeping in over the weekend without having to rush for PT.
1988 - LK arthroscopy
1991 - LK arthroscopy
10/10/06 - LTKR