Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Pain-free Running...at last!  (Read 4530 times)

Offline Astreas

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Pain-free Running...at last!
« on: October 18, 2006, 07:16:33 PM »
I had my meniscus op beacuse I couldn't run more than 1.5 miles or walk more than 5 miles without getting excruciating knee pain. Friends and family thought I was mad putting myself 'under the knife' in order to give myself the pain of running.

My OS found a split in my lateral discoid-shaped meniscus and trimmed it, but couldn't say whether this would mean I'd be able to run. After many rehab problems I managed 20 mins running on the treadmill with NO PAIN  :D  Slowly I built this up to 30mins and then tried my first outdoor run of 2 miles. Did it in 20min, was so chuffed as I thought I'd be a lot slower.

Now I'm up to running for 40mins and hoping to manage a local 5.3 mile circuit by Christmas to do a Boxing Day run with my husband who's supported me through my operation and rehab  :-*

I can't explain the feeling of elation at being able to run out in the countryside - nothing else compares to it, exercise-wise. Even when it's wet and windy I don't mind because a year ago I couldn't run and now I can.

Winter running.. bring it on!

22.03.06 - L knee arthroscopy & partial mensicectomy to remove split in lateral discoid shaped meniscus.

Offline KayJay

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Pain-free Running...at last!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 01:58:14 AM »
Wonderful to hear!  Glad it's worked out for you!! 8)

That is the reason for my surgery too!  My goal is to run a 15k race next March but have to be able to run first. :(

Offline Quinkin

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 3
    • Turramulli the Giant Quinkin
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 08:57:26 AM »
Congratulations, Astreas
To wish impossible things

The Cure

Offline GemmaLeigh

• Forum Faithful
  • suffering with my knee for 8 years. i'm only 20!!!
    • RoboLove Clothing
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 01:37:56 PM »
That's fantastic news!! I hope that we can all have the same success as you have had :)
1995 - first trip to the doctor with 'growing pains'
1998 - xrays show left patella is out of place
1999 - first dislocation
1999-2006 - Physio therapy every week
Jan2007 - Traumatic dislocation
feb 2007 - OS suggests surgery
Jan 2008 - date for surgery 30th jan