Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MACI Recovery keeps getting better  (Read 2024 times)

Offline JulianUK

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
MACI Recovery keeps getting better
« on: September 22, 2006, 08:45:22 PM »
Hi All,

Thought I would update you all on progress since I last posted in June.

I am now 3yrs post op on my left leg and 2yrs on my right.

Until recently I didn't harbour any ambition to go running again. I told my OS & PT that all I hoped for was to be able to walk pain free. Well I started jogging a couple of months ago and now I am running up to 4km at 11.5 kph. I have had to build this up slowly and those who have followed my posts know that I have always treated this as a tortoise race, slow and steady wins!

I am totally amazed at how well my legs have responded lately and I haven't had any reaction to the extra stress I have been putting them through. It seems like the normal rehab period is 2yrs, but with having my patella grafted in my left leg this seems to have taken a lot longer.

I don't know at what distance I am going to get up to over the next few months but will be sure to let you know if I reach the 10km mark - and how long it took.

As always anyone who wants advice then just ask and I will try and get back to you asap, although i don't look every day anymore like I used to.

Best wishes to all embarking on this long road.

Jules  :)
Julian

Offline DJF

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: MACI Recovery keeps getting better
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 09:23:46 PM »
Jules,

That is awesome news.  Congrats.  I think I stick with a first goal of wlking on uneven surfaces and maybe playing a little golf, but your story is an inspiriation.

Don
50 y/o male
Houston TX 

4 surgeries
Manual manipulation Dec 2006
Carticel implant with TTT October 2006
Carticel Harvest August 2006
The following done October 2005:
Chondromalacia Grade III to IV
Scope with chondromalacia
plus lateral release
plus plica resection

Offline thkaa

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 05:59:05 PM »
Very good encouragement looking at your post. I had the drilling one and a half years ago and suddenly I have sharp pain occassionally. I'm thinking about the oats or ACI. Keeping us your update is a very good encouragement for us.

Sammy
27 yrs old now
10/2000 hurt my knee
10/2003 found ACL broken in 2000
07/2004 ACL recon
01/2005 scope
04/2005 drilling

Offline JulianUK

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 07:52:03 PM »
Hi thkaa,

Just to let you know that I had micro-fracture done on both my femoral condyle's before I had MACI. My right leg worked for about 3yrs, but my left didn't and that's when I managed to get referred and on the trial program for MACI. My defect was too bid for OATS and so ended up waiting a year for MACI, but it has been worth it in the end.

I'm also glad that other people can draw some encouragement from my posts. Others on this site supported me through my rehab, so any time I can help or support people considering this or going through it then I will.

Just ask if you need any advice.

Regards,

Jules

Julian

Offline thkaa

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 04:49:25 PM »
Hi Jules,

It's extremely amazing to see you can go jogging after surgery. Would you share with us how did your OS do the surgery for your? Open knee or scope for the MACI? When you decided to go for the MACI? What's the pain level? Extemely pain, cannot stand with one leg or occassional pain, still can walk with limping?

I'm now one and a half year after microfacture. I'm suffering occassional pain. My OS suggested me to take some pills but it doesn't work. My OS said the next step is oats or ACI. I'm still thinking since it takes at least 6 months for it to recover. It's reallly a long long time. I have no idea. I know that surgery willl come sooner or later but I have no idea what surgery will come next.

Sammy
27 yrs old now
10/2000 hurt my knee
07/2004 ACL recon
01/2005 scope
04/2005 drilling

Offline JulianUK

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 08:21:25 PM »
Hi thkaa,

I'll try and answer your questions.

On both occasions I had open surgery for the operations and have some lovely scars down the front of my knee caps! I also developed haematoma's both times as they put a full leg cast on me too soon after the op's and the swelling hadn't come out fully.

Before the op on my left leg, the first when I waited a year after microfracture, I could hardly weight bear and used crutches to get around. I had my patella and femoral condyle grafted in this leg. It took longer to recover than my right has, but then again it was in worst shape. I was also on a pain killer cocktail for that year, and particularly the co-codomal used to wipe me out.

As with my right leg I knew what was going on and asked them to scope it at the year follow-up on my left leg. I'm so glad the OS listened to me, the first time that has ever happened! When I came around he said I was right, they had taken the cells and I was back in 4 weeks time for the full op. My wife wasn't pleased, although it made sense to get it done asap and not have the waiting and muscle wastage I suffered with my left leg.

I make no illusions in all my posts that you are looking at 18-24 months for a full recovery. Yes you can walk at 6 months, but you will be severely limited in what you can undertake until the cartilage has grown properly. However my advice is that if you are a suitable candidate for MACI then get it done now and don't wait until the pain is consistently unbearable.

I hope this helps and get in touch if you need further advice.

regards,

Jules
Julian

Offline thkaa

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 01:53:31 PM »
Thx very much for your valuable idea  Jules. I really think that I have to undertake the surgery asap before I can't bear the pain and uncomfortable as it'll be too late to save it, right? I really hope to ask for a scope to find out the problem in the next follow up.

Sammy
27 yrs old now
10/2000 hurt my knee
07/2004 ACL recon
01/2005 scope
04/2005 drilling

Offline Tangles

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 08:43:40 AM »
MACI hasnt worked for my right knee.......... had it done in mid-2004.
I have too-shallow a gruve for the patella's to track in, and have now ripped up most of the new cartilage that was grafted to the underside of my patella. Even swimming and water-based exercises were leaving me in agony.

Having the kneecap taken out in 2 weeks time.

Good luck with your running - nice work.

support