Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Glucosamine/Chondroitin.....Does it help?  (Read 12889 times)

Offline EMANN

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Glucosamine/Chondroitin.....Does it help?
« on: October 15, 2006, 03:42:32 AM »
I have a grade 4 chondral defect of the patella.  All other cartilage is ok.

If I take Glucosamine/Chondroitin, will it help me at all or is it better suited for people with all bone on bone arthritis.

Anyone?

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Glucosamine/Chondroitin.....Does it help?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 11:31:17 AM »
Glocosamine, Chondroiton and MSM can help you.  The action of this supplement causes the body to produce more synovial fluid in your joints, which helps to lubricate them. IT also encourages the colagen matrix that makes up hyaline cartilage to repair itself.   It cannot hurt to take it. I take a liquid supplement that has Glucosamine, Chondroiton, MSM and Collagen in it.  I don't know that it makes a difference in my pain.. that I cant' say for sure, i'm not willing to quit using it to find out.  My OS is a strong  believer in these supplements and believes in the science behind them.  I did a research project in College, on it's use in equine athletes and the science makes sense. There is no known adverse reactions. However, if you have an allergy to shellfish or seafood, stear clear.

Goodluck
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 12:20:39 PM »
Hi EMANN,

I take Glucosamine Chondroiton daily and beleave it helps if you have knee problems, it doesnt get rid of pain totally but as Linds say helps build up cartilage and cannot do any harm trying it most GPs and OSs reccommend taking Glucosamine Chondroiton. Even if a person has no knee problems its recommended that they take Glucosamime Chondroiton to prevent or prospone knee problems.

Nick :) {2006} :)   
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 02:38:10 PM »
Hi EMANN ~ I've taken a joint supplement for eons - probably more than 20 years. And although I think it helps, the latest reports I've read state that glucosamine/chondroitin & the like help those with serious arthritis moreso than those with milder pain.

Given the knee injury I managed to sustain last year, I have to say a joint supplement (I'm presently using hyaluronic acid/MSM caps) seems to help keep me going...Ellie (68yo)
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline west

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 03:15:32 PM »
I started taking GLC2000 last night. They're at GLCdirect.com
I live in canada, so it's $80 for a three month supply, but for those living in the US it's 55.
I took the powder form because I choke on pills real bad.
The label says not to look for or expect any results for a couple of weeks after administration starts, so I'll keep updating this with any observations I do make.

Offline lj8808

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 04:16:30 PM »
My general MD told me to start taking GLucosamine/Chondrointin after a left knee injury last May.  My Xray and MRI showed cartlilage degenration and a meniscus tear.  I also take a  joint supplement with gelatin.  It really seemed to help the pain which is now minimal.   I am also thinking of taking an hyaluronic acid supplement , have to start looking for one.  Anyone  know of a a good one?

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 09:15:56 PM »
lj wrote...I am also thinking of taking an hyaluronic acid supplement , have to start looking for one.  Anyone  know of a a good one?

lj ~ I've been taking NOW hyaluronic acid/MSM. Two capsules provid 100mg of Hyaluronic acid (from sodium hyaluronate) with 900mg MSM. Bodybuilding.com offers the NOW product at a good price. I'm happy with it...Ellie 
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline lj8808

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 10:27:34 PM »
How many hyaluronic acid tabs do you take in a day?   I checked out the body building site and it seems like a good deal...thanks.

Offline Bobsknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 09:00:42 PM »
Patient: I am a 44 year old male. I work as a fireman, so along with my job, I tend to be very active. I also have been competing in powerlifting for the last ten years or so.  I am 6' tall and weigh around 235.

History: Several years ago while working, I injured my knee (meniscus tear). Along with that I had minor cartilage damage. After the surgery during a knee check up, the doctor told me I also had a narrow medial compartment in both knees (approx 2mm of space where it should be about 1/4 inch).   

Therapy: I use glucosamine chondroitin that also has hyaluronic acid. I am getting near the end of my first bottle so I have been using it for a few weeks. I also do high rep leg extensions on a leg machine at work, to flush the knee joint area with blood. I have to say that between the glucosamine and leg work, my knee feels pretty good. There are alot of times I can feel the closeness of the joint, but it feels better since I started the supplements and leg extensions.

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 01:43:30 PM »
How many hyaluronic acid tabs do you take in a day?   I checked out the body building site and it seems like a good deal...thanks.

I take two a day, lj, which is the recommended dose...Ellie
No repairs.

Offline west

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 02:17:08 PM »
I have to say GLC2000 in powder form is the best. It has a 3500mg serving with 6 or 7 total types of glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM and I can blend it into my shakes and not choke on or have to deal with pills.
It's tasteless and disolves completely. Anyways, sorry about the ad, I just love this stuff.
Even at the 2 servings/day that I need because I'm +250, it still lasts 1.5 months a bottle.
I started 7 days ago because of the strain in my knees I mentioned on here, and not only is that almost perfect, but my TRICEP tendonitis is even going away.

Offline SinD

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 05:29:34 PM »
I've been taking G/C for over a year and I don't think it helps me - or better stated the help, if any, is minimal, but I keep taking it.

SinD
Nov 04 Injured Left Knee, Medial and Lateral Meniscus Tear
Nov 05 Medial & Lateral Meniscectomy Left Knee
Nov 06 Consultation with OS 
Dec 06 MRI results, ruptured and displaced lateral menisci, soft tissue and LCL damage, awaiting surgery.

Offline redone

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 03:55:19 PM »
i just started taking this and i can tell a difference already in my finger joints which would crack on its own and hasn't it done it for a while now. but i also shattered my kneecap back in feb. 2006. which isn't healing, so i was told about this, even tho recommended dosage is 2 tabs a day, i was told that its a waste to take two, and one is plenty per day. go to your local drug store to get these i just bought some from osco-180 tabs for 40.00 and they had a special buy one get one free, so i have enough for 6 mos. worth for 40.00.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006, 05:26:45 PM »
WEST... Where do you get the joints supplement you are taking. It sounds fantastic.I like mine. but it sounds even better.

Thanks
Linney
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Chips

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 10:59:25 PM »
I had no luck with Glucosamine/Chondroitin ... even after taking it for 3 months.  It wasn't until I ADDED an additional supplement called hyaluronic acid that I noticed a major improvement.  The HA gave me improvement within a week.  I now take all three supplements daily and have about a 70% decrease in my pain.  (I did an experiment and went off of everything for a couple of weeks, and the pain was unbearable.  I now know these supps really help me).