Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Graduation!  (Read 3906 times)

Offline Riosilia

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Graduation!
« on: May 31, 2003, 04:58:18 PM »
Hey everyone!  I'm in a great mood today because it's a beautiful day and I have my open house for my high school graduation.  I can't believe that a week from Sunday I will be graduating :o

Actually, I can't wait until college.  I'm having surgery in the summer (right after graduation) so that I will be all set for my college "experience."  Does anyone have any fun college stories?  Any advice on what to do and what NOT to do?  

Hope everone has a wonderful week.  It's my last week of high school ;D

Love,
         Riosilia
« Last Edit: May 31, 2003, 04:58:37 PM by Riosilia »
98- first patelllar dislocation
99- LR + debridment
00- proximal (VMO advancement) + distal (TTT medialization) realignment
03- MPFL repair, lat retinaculum repair, patellar microfracture
09- Patellar osteochondral allograft + MPFL reconstruction
10- ant interval release + partial synovectomy

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
Re: Graduation!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2003, 10:47:41 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

this is an awesome accomplishment and a big move in your life.  good for you.

what are your college plans?

hugs, sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline rhea

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.......
    • Budgie Love!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2003, 12:19:34 AM »
Hi Riosilia,
Congrats!  You must be so excited to be moving on to the next phase of life!  I should be graduating this year with all my buddies but am 6 credits short thanks to my illness :((  Oh well..I'll get there eventually :)

I don't really have any college advice, but just promise me you'll stay away from the booze and drugs, have fun and work hard.  

BTW what are you studying in college.  What career(s) are you thinking about?

(((hugs))) and CONGRATS

-rhea
7 yrs of knee troubles (maltracking, maybe plica).  
Finally found wonderful OS(#4)!
Diagnostic scope+biopsy schduled for sept 23,2003  
HMS/EDS III
Chronic joint pain,subluxations,microtraumas...

Offline Riosilia

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2003, 05:58:11 AM »
I'm going to College of Saint Benedict (in MN) and I'm planning to major in Biology and minor in Music (flute).  Nice mix?!?!  

Right now I'm actually thinking about med school so I'm also going to be pre-med.  For the past two years I've been following an orthopaedic surgeon.  I really enjoyed watching surgeries, going to clinic...  It was a wonderful experience!!!!  And as you guys can probably guess my interest for medicine started when my knee problems started.  

~Riosilia
99- LR + debridment

SL99

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2003, 02:52:36 PM »
Congratulations on your graduation!!  ;D

Good luck with your college plans and with whatever you put your mind and heart into - I'm sure you'll succeed with anything you decide to try Darl.

Well done!  :-*

Love and hugs.....Jo
xxx

Offline Jax

• Regular Poster
  • I REALLY hate my knee!
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2003, 11:00:32 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Well done you. Things are a bit different over here in the UK but I spent 4 years at University doing teaching and I can honestly say it was the best time of my life so far!  Make sure you get out and meet as many people as you can and concentrate on having great fun. (Don't forget to do a little bit of work somewhen though!)

Have a wicked time and enjoy your last week

Love Jax x
Dislocation of R knee 93; Several more 93-95; LR 94; more dislocations/maltracking
Fracture kneecap 96; LR 96; Yet more troubles
TTT and LR May 03. Jul 04 - oh god, the other one has gone wrong now!

Offline Riosilia

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2003, 08:57:43 AM »
Thanks everyone.  School is finally done and my mission for the next week and a half is to enjoy life as much as I can before my surgery.  It feels so good to be done and knowing that I will be ready for college in a couple months.  I can't wait!  

Today my friend and I went to a park and we rode our bikes.  It was wonderful!  Even when it started to rain (we even had some lightning).  I think that was the first time I've ever ridden my bike in the rain.  After our little exercise we had a small BBQ and played in the park.  That brought back a lot of childhood memories.

~Riosilia
99- LR + debridment

Offline Ross

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • it only hurts when I larf!
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2003, 02:34:25 PM »
Riosilia, (late) congratulations on your graduation, I'm sure that you will love college and I'll think to say a prayer on the twelfth for you.  Do a fair bit of pre-operation exercise and rub lots and lots of aloe vera into your knee.  Knees love to be massaged and aloe vera is good to soften skin.

Actually, treat yourself to a good massage if you can, it's amazing what having all the knots and tense muscles eased out will do for your wellbeing.

God bless and protect you.
I'm a grumpy old bear with a busted knee.  The growling you hear is my tummy rumbling!

Stacey

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2003, 06:13:49 AM »
Hi Riosillia

Happy belated graduation!  Hmm advice of what to do and not to do in college.....  What to do ENJOY YOURSELF but do your work and stay on top becuase it is so easy to fall behind. What not to do .... dont get stressed out.  

Stacey

Offline JenJen03

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2003, 12:53:44 AM »
Congrats!!!!!   I know how exciting of a time this is for you, b/c i just graduated from high school on sunday!  Congrats and i hope you are having as much fun as i am!

~Jen
18 years old -- bi-lateral (both knees) LR on  8/8/02, Synvisc injections in May of 04  and still in major pain.

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2003, 07:56:17 PM »
Congrats on your graduation!

College advice:

The best roommates are the ones who are never there.  My first year in college I had a roommate that brought home a different guy almost every night.  The next semester I had a girl who was on the tennis team and was constantly drunk.  Nothing like waking up in the middle of the night to the sound of puking.

Get involved.  Get involved in as many things as you can handle without affecting your studies.  Unfortunatly being an athletic training student, I had almost no free time to really be involved in other things.  

Freshman guys can't be trusted with microwaves.  My first year, a guy on the next floor microwaved a bag of popcorn for way to long and it set on fire.  He then tried to shake the fire out and ended up setting his curtains on fire.  There has also been various other incidents where things that shouldn't be in microwaves were.  A guy once tried to dry his underware in the microwave, but I guess it had a metal snap on the fly, and we all know what metal does in the microwave.

There are some teachers that think that they are god, while others view you as an equal.  I had a physics teacher who believed that all athletes and anyone associated (trainers) with athletics were scum.  My lab partner was a fellow ATS, and this teacher totally ignored us.  On the other hand in most of my AT class the profs were really great.  They treat you like a collegue rather than a student.

Don't trust "ethnic" food.  My cafeteria had a wierd habit of making up food from leftovers and calling it ethnic food.  My best example is a dish they said was from africa, it contained macaroni and cheese with drumsticks and hotdogs in it.  Yeah Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!

Find the swimming pool.  Every college I go to whether for work or whatever I always have to find the pool.  WHen I was in school I was never able to find it.  I went to a small private university which makes it even wierder that I could never find it.  There was some great pictures of it in the brochure but I'm starting to think that there isn't one.   ;D

Best of luck to all of you!
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I've fallen and I cannot get up?
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2003, 09:10:55 AM »
Riosilia and JenJen03:

Congratulations to both of you! :)

Never believe people who say that high school years are the best of your life. For most people, the best years are actually college and young adulthood, so long as you manage to stay somewhat focused and don't party too much. So here's hoping your best years are starting right NOW!

LizL
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation
2006: settled out of court in March

Offline Riosilia

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2003, 08:04:27 PM »
Great advice; thank you.  I really hope high school wasn't the best time of my life.  Actually, I think the best time of my life was elemetary school (before all the hormones started kicking in).  I can hardly wait for college :D  

~Riosilia
99- LR + debridment

Offline JenJen03

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2003, 12:57:07 AM »
Thanks for the advise!    I agree i hope highschool was not soposed to be the best time of my life b/c that would nean that my life would not be very exciting.  Oh well i will just have to make college the bast time of my life!!!  

~Jen
« Last Edit: June 19, 2003, 12:57:27 AM by JenJen03 »
18 years old -- bi-lateral (both knees) LR on  8/8/02, Synvisc injections in May of 04  and still in major pain.

support