Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 4 Hyalgen injections down, 1 to go  (Read 2730 times)

Offline DeniseC

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • Life is good.
4 Hyalgen injections down, 1 to go
« on: October 13, 2006, 05:23:21 AM »
I have my last injections (both knees) next Tuesday.  I'm much more comfortable, no grinding when I walk.  I can still feel shreds of cartilage (I think!) when I move around, and there's a bone spur, they tell me, which is what I feel on the right side, but I don't have to splint my knees to guard against the grinding when I walk now.  The injections haven't been bad, but it still creeps me out to feel the fluid going into the joint.  My knees are sore and feel odd the first night, then the next day are ok.  Here's hoping this lasts for awhile.  I'm thinking I need to do whatever activities I want to fit in, like a walk by the ocean, in the next couple of months.  I guess it's all about buying time!
1/2005 first meniscectomy
6/2005 second one
severe osteoarthritis both knees
10/06 Hyalgen injection series
8/07 Synvisc injections
Pain meds, exercise, massage!
2/27/08 bilateral TKR's plus a bonus emergency arterial graft
5/14/08 doing better, ROM R124 and L138!

Offline olga23

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: 4 Hyalgen injections down, 1 to go
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 05:51:39 AM »
Did you ever try Synvisc injections?  Some say Hyalgan is more effective - do you know if there's any real difference?  (I had 2 separate courses - 3 shots each - of Synvisc over an 8 mo period, but no improvement in my severe OA, unfortunately!)

Offline ChrisC

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 08:56:20 PM »
I had my third injections yesterday (both knees).  Up till now they haven't felt any different but today were quite sore and stiff, but nothing I'm not used to! I don't know what to expect in terms of pain relief but anything will be a bonus after 5 years of pain in my right knee and two years in my left knee. The thing I am most looking forward to is relaxing in a bath for an hour with a puzzle book and cup of coffee (which you can't really do in a shower ;)) for the first time in two years! 
First knee physiotherapy 1981 with intermittent pain following.
Arthroscopy for complex meniscus tear March 2006.
Right TKR 7th July 2007, left TKR 27th September 2007.
Mar 08: R 115 degrees, L 123 degrees.
July 08: R 118 degrees, L 125 degrees.
Aug 08: R 122 degrees, L 125 degrees.

Offline ChrisC

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 08:56:53 PM »
I hope this doesn't put anyone off trying Hyalgan but I finished my course of injections over two weeks ago and don't feel any different. The nurse admitted that this happens with about 20% of patients. They didn't tell me this when I started, but it they had done I think I still would have gone through with it. Now have to wait till 20th February to go back and tell them it hasn't worked. Next stop probably TKR. So much for all those long baths I was going to have!  :-[

Offline sc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 07:48:16 PM »
Hi ChrisC, I see you might have to have a knee replacement. If you go to edheads.org/activities/knee you can perform the surgery that will be done on you. I had the surgery done May 2005 and I am still under the Dr.'s care. I have since developed bursitis and they tell me my knee is mildly disabled. I took a bone scan and now I am waiting to see if surgery has to be done again. More than likely it will, I have been put in a knee brace and my thing is if it's unstable enough for a knee brace then surgery needs to be done to correct the problem. I am a female and I can't wear a knee brace in GA in the summer time. Take care and good luck.

Offline ChrisC

• Forum Faithful
Virtual surgery
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 06:59:21 PM »
SC, thanks for the link, I tried it and scored top marks through good guesswork. Maybe I have missed my vocation! I was sorry to hear about your problems following your knee replacement. I am still hoping they will be able to come up with something else to try but the injection nurse didn't seem to think there was anything. I know it is a painful operation and risky but I'm 52 and could easily live another 30 years. While the pain is bearable if I don't do anything, I don't want to spend another 30 years not doing anything! I will just have to see what they say in February. The waiting list is 6 months so there's plenty of time to change my mind or try to find something else.