Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Anyone have any info on peroneal nerve tear/laceration??  (Read 955 times)

Offline moriahj20

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Anyone have any info on peroneal nerve tear/laceration??
« on: October 06, 2006, 10:20:20 PM »
I had an accident where a metal pole impaled the back of my thigh and hit my peroneal nerve which gave me foot drop. i had an mri and saw a neurosurgeon. i am told my peroneal nerve is torn, but not severed,  and that i just have to give it time and see if it will heal. i have feeling in my foot and can move it side to side and wiggle my toes and all that just fine, but i can only raise it up about halfway.    does anyone have any stories or info on this kind of thing?? ive found a lot of posts about nerves being stretched or bruised but no tears/lacerations. my physical therapist is positive she can get me up to 99% better on my walking. she says the nerve will regenerate back together and eventually i'll get rid of the foot drop but only after probably a year or so and extensive pt. its only been 2 1/2 months since my injury and since then i have noticed a little bit more range of motion but not much. i just moved to a new state and am to see a new neuro soon and i'll probably have another emg. they couldnt' get any response from the muscles that run down the side of my shin the first time they did the emg, but they said that nerve was still functioning.  i am able to flex that muscle now though. please, if anyone has any info as far as what to expect or just anything, please let me know! thank you!

Offline daveybc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Anyone have any info on peroneal nerve tear/laceration??
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 06:32:03 PM »
I dont have any advice or good news or anything considering I'm in the same boat as you.  I was stabbed in the leg and had my peroneal nerve cut 90%.  I'm having surgery today in about 3 hours to sew it back together.  They say the younger you are the better for the nerve regeneration.  I'm 28. Hopefully that's not over the hill.

But I would love to hear about your progress as it goes along.  I'm very scared pre-surgery (i've never had surgery before) and am jus tplain scared I may never walk properly again.  I have no feeling in the left side of my ankle, and in the right side of my foot around my big toe.  i can move my foot side to side but not up any more than an inch.  and if EFFING HURTS!!!!!!

Good luck to us both! happy new year.