Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Positive blood test... RA?  (Read 4682 times)

Offline windbarb

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • They call me Weather Bunny!
Positive blood test... RA?
« on: October 04, 2006, 10:39:25 AM »
Hey folks,

After a few bouts in the last few years with joints that develop pain out of nowhere, or joints that heal way too slowly after injury, I'm at it again with toe pain (broke it several months ago, but it looks fully healed on x-ray and yet is more painful than it was when I first hurt it) and knee pain (esp. right knee, which filled up with fluid about a month ago).  My new OS got concerned about the joint pain in opposite legs and decided to do a test for the RA factor to rule out RA.  Well, that test came back positive... so much for ruling it out!

In the last several months, I've had severe neck pain that came out of nowhere, usual nagging left knee pain, the new right knee pain that also came out of nowhere, and the broken toe pain on the left foot, as well as an occasional nag from the big toe on the same foot that I hurt a couple of years ago.  The pain and swelling is at its worst after I've sat at my desk at work for any stretch of time and is also bad in the morning for a good hour or so.  Ice helps, but only for a short time.  Celebrex takes the edge off it, and a cortisone shot in the knee helped keep the swelling down, too.  I've had a gland or two in random places swell up... many days where I had the feeling I was fighting something off or was not rested enough (tired, achy, generally feeling icky)... and a tendency to go mildly anemic (i.e. can't donate blood).  I've had a gland or two in random places swell up... many days where I had the feeling I was fighting something off or was not rested enough (tired, achy, generally feeling icky)... and a tendency to go mildly anemic (i.e. can't donate blood).   I don't always have the redness or the heat in my joints when they're acting up, I'm not sure if I have any nodules (some kind of lump in my neck that might be one), and this is the first time I've had joints on opposite sides acting up since I was about 11.  But all of this, combined with the positive RA test, has me concerned that it might be a real RA diagnosis.

I see a rheumatologist on Monday, but just wanted to get some thoughts here.  I'm pretty freaked out about the whole thing... I mean, it's a pretty nasty diagnosis.  Any chance that the blood test and symptoms in the joints could be caused by something else?

Thanks for the help!
--Barb

PS... some of you old-timers on the list might remember me from a few years ago... I stopped posting after my knee surgery, when my pain subsided and things went back to normal.
1988-91: LK severe OSD, RK mild OSD
01/91: LK scope-flush. lingering pain
12/02: LK cortisone injection
3/03: LK scope-plica excision, partial synovectomy
11/04: L big toe cartilage/bone repair (fell)
now: L middle toe (broke; lingering pain), RK pain/swelling, neck pain/swelling

Offline hustlegritdrive

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • i <3 sports
Re: Positive blood test... RA?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 04:08:00 AM »
i sent you a PM  ;)
live.laugh.love

support