Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Post ACL reconstruction - Muscle Bulk  (Read 1608 times)

Offline airie78

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Post ACL reconstruction - Muscle Bulk
« on: October 02, 2006, 02:13:16 PM »
Hi,
I'm a physiotherapist and have been working closely with post ACL reconstruction patients with their rehabilitation for the past 3-4 years. Most of my patients were able to get back to their sporting activities after they completed their rehabilitation programme. However, I noticed that in most of them, their muscle bulk on the affected leg tend to be smaller compared to the unaffected side, even after intensive exercises. Muscle power are generally around 90% or more compared to the other side. Can anyone please advise, or lead me to any available literature on quadriceps and hamstrings muscle bulk following ACL reconstruction? Can the type of surgery be part of the cause, as all of my patients had semi T graft taken and endobutton CL fixation done?
Thank You

Offline feeny

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 27
Re: Post ACL reconstruction - Muscle Bulk
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 02:34:37 PM »
Grr I posted a reply to this message and lost it *grumble*.
My second replies are never as good !!

I had ST + G hamstring harvest for graft with endobutton fixation as well as medial meniscal rivet repair.
You can see the first 6 month photos of my knee here: http://web.mac.com/shoniec/iWeb/Site/ACL%20Injury.html

I keep meaning to put up a current photo - today I am bigger bulk on both legs than prior to my injury, bulk is about even although my VMO is "longer" on my operated leg and my LMO is denser on my operated leg. I have both more strength and more endurance on my oeprated leg than my unoperated leg. I am yet to have a cybex test to fully investigate the differences. For about the first 6 months post-op I did about double the amount of exercise on my operated leg than my unoperated leg, training 5-6 times / week alternating between stregth, endurance and later, plyometric exercises. For the previous 6 months I typically do one extra set of exercise on my operated leg. I usually do most exercises one legged to isolate muscle groups. I include alot of balance / proprioception and plyo work - I find that this tackles my "mental" guarding of the knee.

A full list of all exercises I have done is in this thread: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=29810.0

Hope this is all of some value!
My best advice - point your patients to this site - all us here find it invaluable.
Sep-05 ACL rupture, Medial mensical tear, MCL rupture
Oct-05 Had it all repaired (hamstring graft, meniscal rivet)
-and then-
4.5 Months post-op Snowboarding like a demon
7 Months post-op Successful return to indoor soccer (YEH!)
-and then-
Mar-2015 Arthroscopy to fix meniscus

Offline airie78

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Post ACL reconstruction - Muscle Bulk
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 02:57:23 PM »
Hi
Thanks for ur thoughts and advice. Will surely browse through the website.
Thanks a million.  ;D

support