Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: TruFit Plugs  (Read 3242 times)

Offline Athlete Mom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
TruFit Plugs
« on: September 27, 2006, 05:01:32 AM »
I was reading an article today which quoted a Dr. Preston Wolin, as well as Dr. Brian Cole on the use of the TruFit plugs by OBI.  While Dr. Wolin was very optimistic about the procedure, Dr. Cole was hesitant to offer too much enthusiasm.  I know several people on this site have stated Dr. Cole was a leading expert in this area -- does any one know of Dr. Wolin?  I felt very encouraged reading the article, til I got to Dr. Cole's part.  Help, anyone? :)

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
Re: TruFit Plugs
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 12:02:22 PM »
Hi,

I'm not sure which article you're citing.  Maybe post the article so we can all read it as well. 
I'm wondering if this is the article you mentioned.  http://www.abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=health&id=4581954
I can understand what Dr. Cole is saying, but also know that in some cases the damage to the bone is already done (like in my case) when the surgeon got to my subchondral bone it was mush - definately this was a great procedure for me......
This is a fairly new procedure and there are going to be skeptics as with any procedure & that's normal.  Think caution with new procedures and techniques is also good.  There aren't long-term stats on the procedure since it's only recently had FDA approval for these procedures.  A person just has to trust their surgeon and go with their gut instinct & follow the post-op protocol. 

I've absolutely no regrets having the allograft w/OBI TruFit BGS plug, which is behind my patella and I'd recommend this procedure to anyone in a similar situation.  In my case there would not have been enough material to do a traditional OATs procedure since the defect was too deep. 

Think you'll see this is going to be a very viable option for many people with deep subchondral lesions.  It's definately given my right leg a second chance and I'm enjoying each moment.

Hope your son has great success with this procedure & can return to sport again.  Good luck.  ~shade
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 12:11:36 PM by shade »
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline Athlete Mom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 08:01:37 PM »
Shade -- thank for the information.  Yes, that was the article I was referring to.  I'm not sure I understand everything -- strill trying to soak it all in.  What is the subchondral bone?  Our OS says my son's bone was healthy-- not sure what the difference is.   I guess I'm confused.  While I believe that my doc is one of the best in the area -- at the same time I question why I wasn't given any other options.   He says everything is going well -- he's going in for a "look" via scope in December before he'll release him to sports.  My insurance company denied payment -- so my head is swimming with questions. 

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 08:45:09 PM »
Hi there......

The layer of bone immediately under the articular cartilage is called the subchondral layer of bone.  If your son has healthy bone under the articular cartilage it means the damage hasn't progressed into the deeper layer.

It's so hard to understand all this stuff about knee procedures but I'm guessing your OS didn't do a traditional OATs procedure due to the size of your son's patella and/or availability of articular cartilage to plug the damaged area.  Surgeon's don't want to correct one area and leave problems in another area.  The old 'rob peter to pay paul philosophy' - I've read articles referring to this situation, expecially with youth.  It's just a hunch, I'm no doctor. 

Hopefully all will continue with your son's recovery.  Hang in there it does get better.  ~shade

Offline EMANN

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 12:48:47 AM »
Shade....Did you say you had a Grade IV chodral lesion of the patella?  If so, I'm assuming this is what was treated with the plugs and you said all is going well so far?

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 03:34:05 PM »
Emann,

Yes Grade IV, apex of patella and Grade III trochlear groove & I'm doing just fine.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 04:01:07 PM by shade »

Offline EMANN

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 05:28:04 PM »
Shade I've been so down since getting diagnosed from my Dr.  I've been athletic my whole life, now if I try to run I do so with a gimp and  it is too painful.  Cutting is impossible. I am only 31 and I have my first child on the way and worry now about being able to be active with him.  I was really down about all of these procedures b/c the chances of them working on the patella were slim to none, until I read about the OBI PLugs and some new gel they are conducting clinical trials on now! Now I have a small reason to be optimistic.  You and all of the OBI people who are doing well give me hope for the future. 

I wonder why my OS wanted to do a mosaicplasty on my patella when Dr. Stone said he knew of no successful ones (MY OS is pretty good.)

Anyways---- I was curious as to the procedure...I'm assuming they debride the back of the patella, then drilled a hole into the patella, then inserted the OBI plug and closed you up.  Would this be correct?

How was your level of pain the day of and after the procedure? 

Can you do stairs w/o pain?

How long on crutches?

TY.

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 10:49:07 PM »
TY,

Understand your concern.  It's awful having knee injuries - really effect everything a person tries to do.  I was very down before finding my current surgeon, very hard trying to cope with this stuff, for sure.
This site explains everything they do while inplanting an OBI - check it out......

http://www.obi.com/products.htm

Think this procedure is similar to an OATs except it uses synthetic material instead of your own cartilage.

Since I had a combination procedure I was on crutches for 6 weeks NWB, then 4 weeks PWB.  Think that DJK and Steve weren't on crutches more that several weeks, if I recall.  During surgery they put a femoral nerve block in my surgical leg and it was numb for several days - never really felt much pain but was very tired (crutching around is the pits).  Stairs are no problem now, but it took awhile to accomplish.  Biggest problem is inclines - getting better, but not comfortable yet.

If you don't need to have a TTT with the OBI implant it shouldn't take too long to get things back on track again.  Know some of the people that had OBI's were walking normal after several weeks - guess it just depends where the damage is located.   
Let us know how everything goes at your next appointment.  ~shade

Offline EMANN

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 01:47:19 AM »
Shade-- Do you know of any doctors in the Pittsburgh area that do this.  I called OBI & they couldnt tell me!

Offline EMANN

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 06:28:18 PM »
TY,

Understand your concern.  It's awful having knee injuries - really effect everything a person tries to do.  I was very down before finding my current surgeon, very hard trying to cope with this stuff, for sure.
This site explains everything they do while inplanting an OBI - check it out......

http://www.obi.com/products.htm

Think this procedure is similar to an OATs except it uses synthetic material instead of your own cartilage.

Since I had a combination procedure I was on crutches for 6 weeks NWB, then 4 weeks PWB.  Think that DJK and Steve weren't on crutches more that several weeks, if I recall.  During surgery they put a femoral nerve block in my surgical leg and it was numb for several days - never really felt much pain but was very tired (crutching around is the pits).  Stairs are no problem now, but it took awhile to accomplish.  Biggest problem is inclines - getting better, but not comfortable yet.

If you don't need to have a TTT with the OBI implant it shouldn't take too long to get things back on track again.  Know some of the people that had OBI's were walking normal after several weeks - guess it just depends where the damage is located.   
Let us know how everything goes at your next appointment.  ~shade

Shade-- Do you know if those people who were walking ok are now able to run if need be?

support