Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Where do I start?  (Read 2472 times)

Offline willo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Where do I start?
« on: September 25, 2006, 08:18:48 AM »
I'm currently 37 years old and living in Britain. Since I was 14 I seemed to be accdient prone, and suffered from quite a lot of sprains.

These have progressively got worse over the years. My 2 major accidents were to my right ankle in 2000, and left knee in 2004. I've just had the ligaments reconstruted in my ankle, whcih is extremely painful. Initially after the accident, i was referred for physio, and I remember the physio commenting on how flat footed I was.

Later I had to have a stress X ray of my ankles, and the consultant said the X ray showed that my left ankle was in a worse state than the right ( which was the one causing the problems).

While I was on the wating list for the surgery, I managed to fall and injure my left knee. I spent several months in a knee brace, and had to have a knee manipulation and athrosopy about 7 months after the accdient before I could even straighten my knee. The physiotherapist I saw commented on how flexible my knees were. I had never noticed they bent in a different direction to everyone else. The knee damage turned out to be a torn medial and lateral collateral ligament, and it was discovered that I'd completely torn the ACL when I was about 20.

AS soon as I tried the physio exerises, my knee gave way again, so I'm now waiting for another MRI scan. I can't walk properly, and I'm constantly in pain. The painkillers I've been prescribed upset my stomah, and my doctor is extremely reluctant to prescribe anything else, so I'm trying not to take anything apart from paracetemol.

Finallty, having discovered this site yesterday, I've looked at a few links. I've got 2 children- 1st was born at 35 weeks with 1 hours labour, and the 2nd at 37 with about 2 hours labour.

IS there anybody can give me any hope and encouragement for the next few months please?

My consultant has just told me that the ligament repair hasn't worked so he's going to have to do it again- whcih will cause further problems with my knee. All I can foresee is a few more years of pain, and not being able to do much .

Thnaks, and sorry it was so long  :'(

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: Where do I start?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 12:01:27 PM »
Hi there,

It sounds like you may have hypermobility syndrome (loose ligaments).

I have suffered from kneecap problems for about 10 years. Have been told that my loose ligaments have compounded the problems.

If I was you I'd get another opinion from an OS. Pure Sports Medicine in London is a great sports medicine clinic. They are based in Wimbledon and Kensington. If you see a sports physician there I'm sure they could refer you to a top knee surgeon. I believe there's a really good knee surgeon based at The Parkside Hospital in Wimbledon.

About 5 years ago I started seeing a sports physician and has made all the difference. They have a more holistic approach and just deal with one thing at a time. Currently my knee is popping out so am avoiding seeing my knee surgeon. Although, I'm due to see him in early November. Also trying to put off a shoulder operation.

Good luck with it all. :)
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

support