Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: my recent synvisc injections have been awful  (Read 5150 times)

Offline jan122

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
my recent synvisc injections have been awful
« on: March 30, 2006, 09:31:50 PM »
I had 3 injections 3/6, 3/10, & 3/17/06.  My right knee since the injections has been very stiff and painful.  Getting in and out of cars is awful and getting out of bed in the morning.  Before, I woke up with pain at night, but my knee was okay during the day.  I wish I  never had the shots.   I sometimes find that I can barely walk, especially at the end of the day.

Offline lmk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: my recent synvisc injections have been awful
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 03:58:03 AM »
Have you had any arthoscopic surgery? How long did you experience pain before the injections? What kind of things did you do for pain relief in the past?  How did you come to the decision to have synvisc injections? I'm going to my back to my knee surgeon tomorrow morning, Wednesday, due to increasing pain in both my knees. I had arthoscopic surgery with shavings and lateral release >5 years left knee and the same >4 years right knee(also had meniscus repair in right). I'm 100% on my feet for my job. My feet never hurt but after 5 hours, my knees hurt and burn. I also have pain at night when I sleep. Are you on you feet alot during the work day? Did you go to work right after your injections? I'm only 40 years old and don't want knee replacement yet.

Offline jan122

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 04:40:51 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for your note.  I went to my OS after about 10 months of  pain and stiffness in right knee.  It kept waking me up at night and that was what made me finally seek help.  I had been taking Advil a couple times a day to relieve pain but worried about taking it on a prolonged basis.  I had arthroscopic surgery on my left knee 2 years ago and it is wonderful now, but because I favored it after the surgery I think I put a lot of stress on the right one.  I wanted to avoid arthroscopic on the right due to an upcoming vacation and parents that are ill and in nursing homes.  I have since the injections taken Vicodin at night so I can sleep and again am taking advil during the day when it bothers me.  I sit all day at a desk, so my right knee is often stiff when getting up from sitting, and out of a car.  Once I start walking I am in less pain than when standing still in one position.  I have been told by my OS that I should feel relief in 8-12 weeks after the last injection, I have not reached that milestone yet.   I am 46 and like you do not want a TKR yet.  I had fallen on both knees a year before all this, while ice skatings and kept skating and tripping not realizing what trauma I was causing my knees.  I now find it hard to do a lot of the physical things I used to do, like tennis, dancing, climbing, etc.

Offline lmk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 04:59:35 AM »
Thanks for your quick response. I went to my knee surgeon today. He didn't even discuss injections. Since I had lateral releases on both knees with my arthroscopies, he seemed most interested in the way the patellas were tracking. The right one is ok, the left patella isn't tracking correctly. It is now back were it was presurgically in Dec. 2001,off center pulling to the outside, causing more damage to the little cartilage that was left after my last surgery. 75% of the cartilage was removed in both knees due to excessive wear from off centered patellas. I had spinal anesthesia during both my surgeries so I watched my surgeries and both times he commented I had the knees of a 70 year old even though I was 35 at the time. Today they took xrays in the office and next week an MRI  and bone scan are scheduled for the left knee. He always dictates his patient notes into a handheld tape recorder in the same room I'm(the patient) in after he is done with his examination. This time he mentioned the phrase "few options left" (in the recorder, not to my face) and when he started saying something about "complications" he left the room to finish his notes. He has never done this before and I've been his patient for 5 years. He has stated in the past that after my arthroscopies, total knee replacements would follow 2-15 years later(15 being extremely optimisic). I feel he is preparing me for surgery since he ordered the MRI and bone scan. I am rather upset.

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 01:20:33 AM »
My Os talks into a tape recorder too .. after I visit him.  i try to hobble out fast so i can hear what he is saying .. Which is a sport in itself.. . sure they try to protect us from .. hearing. yeah. this one is messed up and its only time. .. or  you get to hear .. a progressing nicely 

reading about these injections scare me 

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 10:37:53 PM »
My OS's office is completely computerized. My doctors sits in a chair by a computer and types everything I tell him into it. It also has at the top a quick review of everything I've ever had done at the office or he's ordered (like Xrays, MRIS, cortisone shots) plus my complicating medical condition of low platelets. I had the supartz shot which helped quite quickly but the relief was gone within 6 weeks. I had them in 1 knee which was worse than my other knee, which is now starting to get bad. I doubt I'll bother getting the shots for the other knee. They were uncomfortable getting, especially the last one which I think went into scar tissue from my knee surgery. After that one, I could barely walk out of the office but within a couple of days, it felt better.
Caroline
Chronic low platelet count
Men. surgery, both knees 2003,2007,2008
R PKR Sept. 17, 2008 - Biomet Oxford Partial
LK-TKR 4/21/2010 Biomet Vanguard Signature Knee
Scar tissue issue next to TKR knee
March 2, 2011: PKR to be revised to a TKR

Offline lmk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 01:18:45 AM »
I went back to that OS on May 1 for the results of my MRI, bone scan, and more xrays. My OA is definately worse(bone on bone in both knees with a cyst on my tibia-very quick explanation) and as he was walking out the door dictating to his tape recorder,(not to my face again) he stated he's at a quandry as to what to do. He said nothing about surgery. No pain relief options other than Aleve that flares up my acid reflux(I don't want a narcotic, just something that may work differently like Mobic), no brace, no options. Monday, May 22, I'm getting a second opinion :)
Many years ago I had 2 cortisone shots in my right heel for severe planter fascitis. The first one hurt like heck for 2 days then was effective for over 6 months. The second shot, by a different doctor, didn't hurt after the injections, but it also didn't work at all.

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 04:50:53 PM »
hmmmm.   Perhaps you need to see a second doctor.

Offline jan122

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 08:53:28 PM »
I am now at 3 months since my injection series.  My knee is quite a bit better now, probably back to where it was preinjections.  I bought a very exenssive mattress for my bed and that I think has helped more than anything.  I am not stiff and in pain as I was right after the shots. 

Offline jan122

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 09:11:05 PM »
It is 7 months since my series of synvisc injections.  My knee feels better than it has since I injured it 3 years ago.  I walk pain free and am able to contra dance again.  I have stiffness at times, but not every day.  I don't know if I would get another series again of injections.  I am hoping that this lasts for awhile.  I would like to know if synvisc has helped anyone else.

Offline SallyW

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 04:48:30 AM »
I'm about 2 months out from my Synvisc injections.

I have improved - no doubt about it. Before the injections, I was using crutches much of the time but was still very uncomfortable. When I walked without crutches, almost every step involved a yelp of pain. Now - I still yelp occasionally, and my knee is definitely stiff and irritated feeling. I've gone from "generally excruciating" while walking without crutches to "just barely tolerable". Frankly, if I had a sedentary lifestyle, I'd be fine - you know, could ride my bike (or swim) for exercise, use a cane when necessary - kind of putz through life. But we have property, which means there is a lot of physical work that I need to do. I also want to get back into hiking, snowshoeing, walking (for fitness) - stuff like that. I'm too young to do the sedentary thing!

I didn't have a good or bad experience with the injections themselves - they hurt (like a bee sting, I thought), but other than a little stiffness after the first one, it wasn't horrible as it was for you, I think. If they had been more successful for me, it would have been terrific, especially if I could have scheduled them in advance - I could have scheduled 2 "rounds" of them a year, not had to deal with scheduling a check with the doc, wait (limp, limp) for insurance to be approved, wait for the appointments to start (more limping) - know what I mean? Seems like you're spending a fair amount of time each year getting the injections under way - or am I being overly pessimistic here?

So - my doc is going to scope it this week, look for something he can repair (in a second procedure, I'm guessing - depends on what he finds).

I think the success of Synvisc depends on the amount of damage that you have - from what I've read (on their web site), more substantial amounts of damage are unlikely to be completely helped by the injections. Also, maybe some of what is considered a great outcome depends on your needs/expectations...
Right knee: LR/TTT 1995 Left knee: LR/TTT 2000, Microfracture & partial meniscus removal 2004, Synvisc 2004, Unloader 2004, OATS 6/20/2005, Synvisc 2006, Debridement 2006