Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Soccer injury  (Read 1563 times)

Offline futballer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Soccer injury
« on: September 19, 2006, 10:29:11 PM »
So I have always had some discomfort in my right knee. The knee is always stiff when I stand up and I have to get up slowly to get going. I think it all started 8 years ago. I was wrestling around with a friend when he landed on my leg as it was extended out away from my body. There was a pop and swelling. I put a brace on it and iced it up. I never did see a doctor or get an MRI done. It healed with 2 to 3 weeks and I was able to exercise again.

That was 8 years ago...Last Sunday I was playing in a soccer game when I twisted my knee the wrong way. There was no impact; it was all my own force. I felt a pop inside my knee (although it was not loud) I was in excruciating pain for about 1 minute. When I stood up I felt no pain and was able to walk to the bench. There was no immediate swelling in fact I wanted to go back into the game. It wasn't until I sat down and was demonstrating to my cousin how I originally injured my knee that I noticed a serious problem. When I extended my right leg out away from my body, it felt as though my knee popped out and popped back in!! It didn't look so hot, even the onlookers seemed a bit squeamish after seeing this. My knee felt fine, I was able to walk with mild discomfort. When I got home I iced it up and elevated. The next morning was the worst. When I woke up (with my knee wrapped up) I tried to stand. OUCH. I couldn't straighten my leg nor could I bend it back further than 90 degrees. I don't think I tore anything to bad since I am able to walk around (with a limp), but some swelling did show up two days after the injury. I am in a bind since I am a college student with no medical insurance. The cost of going to the ER is outrageous and if they are just going to tell me to RICE I don't want to have to pay that bill!! Any Help?

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: Soccer injury
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 12:48:52 AM »
Hi, if you are under 21, you could still be covered under your parents health insurance. I had to check into that this year because my son turned 18 and went away to college.
good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline emphatic

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 05:09:29 AM »
I would say odds are quite high that you have a cruciate tear -- probably the ACL. Of course, this is merely a guess, based on your description. But, I'm going out on a limb to say this, because you seem willing to just let it go. Please go see an orthopedic surgeon.

Check with your parents about medical insurance, and lacking that, look into your school's health services. When I was in college (a LONG time ago), all students had an insurance policy by virtue of enrolling and paying fees. Check into that with your health services.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Meg

Offline futballer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 09:08:24 PM »
I am 26 so I'm too old for my parents insurance. I am checking about our on-campus medical clinic. I heard that it is not the best, but cheaper than the ER or a walk-in clinic.

My knee does feel better. I am able to bend it enough to get up and down the stairs in my house. I still get a sharp pain when I extend my knee out all the way while it's relaxed. I feel a great deal of tightness when I try to bend it. Should I be trying to exercise my knee by moving it around and trying to bend it? I just hope the swelling will go down enough to be able to play in next week’s game; I am sitting out this week.

Thank you for the advice. I will try to get a professional to look at it, even if the bill is going to put me in the poor house!!

Offline Engineer Joe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 11:21:52 PM »
Alright, speaking as a fellow soccer player, I may be one of the only people who read your last post and didn't think,"What a total freaking moron!"  You just had someone tell you that it is likely that you tore your ACL, and you're going to "sit out this week's game."  You need to go see an OS and enroll in your local Soccer-Holics Annonymous Organization.  I understand the addictive nature of the game compels us to do stupid things (like playing injured), but unless you want to be telling people could be still playing soccer, but that you let an injury degrade to an irreparable state, I would suggest that you go see an orthopedic surgeon.  There are tons of people who try to play through injury and end up with irreversible damage that hinders or prevents them from playing.  I'm 25 years old now.  Three months ago I was playing at least 5 times a week, and i'm beginning to wonder if i'll ever be competitive again.  So, I know you probably think you'll be able to play competitely until you're 35 or so, but 26 isn't too young to end it for you.  Once you swallow that fact, maybe it will be a little easier to stay off the field until a doctor gives you the go ahead.  I don't mean to be a jerk about it, but it's hard penetrate an addicted athlete's mind with any advice contrary to playing.  So for what it's worth, consider yourself warned.

Offline futballer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 09:05:58 PM »
Ok,
So my injury was getting dramatically better three weeks after it happened. I haven't played soccer since the injury, but unfortunately last Friday I was at a bar with my friends, one of them jumped on my back (unexpectedly). I fell to the ground in excruciating pain. Next day I had a lot of pain and swelling. So I went to the clinic on campus and had a doctor look at it. After moving my knee and poking around, he told me that I definitely injured my MCL. I kind of knew that because that is where all the pain was. The doctor then drained the fluid out of my knee (which was kind of bloody and about a 1/2 pint) and took x-rays to ensure that there was no fracture which there wasn't. He told me that with the swelling, he couldn't figure out if I had any deeper injuries and to come back in a week to re-examine. My knee feels so much better after he drained it; I guess all the pain was from the pressure.

Offline futballer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 09:11:22 PM »
Alright, speaking as a fellow soccer player, I may be one of the only people who read your last post and didn't think,"What a total freaking moron!"  You just had someone tell you that it is likely that you tore your ACL, and you're going to "sit out this week's game."  You need to go see an OS and enroll in your local Soccer-Holics Annonymous Organization.  I understand the addictive nature of the game compels us to do stupid things (like playing injured), but unless you want to be telling people could be still playing soccer, but that you let an injury degrade to an irreparable state, I would suggest that you go see an orthopedic surgeon.  There are tons of people who try to play through injury and end up with irreversible damage that hinders or prevents them from playing.  I'm 25 years old now.  Three months ago I was playing at least 5 times a week, and i'm beginning to wonder if i'll ever be competitive again.  So, I know you probably think you'll be able to play competitely until you're 35 or so, but 26 isn't too young to end it for you.  Once you swallow that fact, maybe it will be a little easier to stay off the field until a doctor gives you the go ahead.  I don't mean to be a jerk about it, but it's hard penetrate an addicted athlete's mind with any advice contrary to playing.  So for what it's worth, consider yourself warned.

You know, the name calling is definately NOT needed. You don't know me or know what what kind of postion I'm in right now. I won't play unless I'm 100% sure that I am fine. If you want to submit a suggestion, maybe you should tone it down a little MORON! Thanks, but no thanks.

redtoblack

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 09:20:37 PM »
Ok,
So my injury was getting dramatically better three weeks after it happened. I haven't played soccer since the injury, but unfortunately last Friday I was at a bar with my friends, one of them jumped on my back (unexpectedly). I fell to the ground in excruciating pain. Next day I had a lot of pain and swelling. So I went to the clinic on campus and had a doctor look at it. After moving my knee and poking around, he told me that I definitely injured my MCL. I kind of knew that because that is where all the pain was. The doctor then drained the fluid out of my knee (which was kind of bloody and about a 1/2 pint) and took x-rays to ensure that there was no fracture which there wasn't. He told me that with the swelling, he couldn't figure out if I had any deeper injuries and to come back in a week to re-examine. My knee feels so much better after he drained it; I guess all the pain was from the pressure.

I'm glad that your knee is feeling better.  Just be careful you don't jump back into things too quickly.  Maybe take the week off from anything but normal everyday activity until you see your DR again.  I hope you don't have any other injuries.  An MCL injury usually heals well.  I injured mine several years ago playing rugby and it was good as new after the PT.

Keep us updated :)

Jordan 

Offline Jaci

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 09:32:56 PM »
Just be careful you don't jump back into things too quickly. 

And, don't let anyone jump on your back. Sorry, I just couldn't resist.  :)

Give your knee a little time to heal.

Best wishes,

Jaci
10/03 Twist injury
12/03 Menisectomy- tears ACL, MCL, & LCL missed by OS
Arthrofibrosis ROM 38-68
3/04- 4/08 Multiple scar tissue procedures:
6 scopes w/LOA, AIR, LR, chondroplasty, synovectomy, bone spur & plica removal
3 insufflations, many injections
Chronic AF, patella infera, IPCS

Offline futballer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 08:47:21 PM »
I went back to my doctor for a follow-up on my knee. My knee is still swollen and I experiance some pain if I lock my knee while I'm walking. The doc told me that I may have also damaged an interior ligament! This is what I have been fearing!! The doc said that the surgery for this type of injury (without insurance) is going to cost between $40,000 - $50,000 !!!!!!! He wanted me to get an MRI done so that we know exactly what is torn. The MRI is going to cost $850. I don't have that kind of money, so I guess my days of playing soccer are over :'( I have never felt so useless in my life. From what he told me, these type of injuries have a 100% success rate it operated on, if not, I will never be able to play any kind of high demand sports again.

I do have a question though.... If I don't get the surgery and a few years down the road I decide to go through with it, will I be able to get the procedure done once my body has healed itself? What I'm saying is, once I graduate and get a real job, and am able to afford insurance, will it be to late for me?

Please help
Thank You,

redtoblack

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 09:04:51 PM »

2 ways to look at it.

Insurance point of view: Don't go to the doctor any more.  You don't what them to find out exactly what is wrong.  No record is the best.  If they do then you will have a pre-existing condition that may exclude any future work you need to have done.

My opinion:  Try to figure out a way to get the MRI done.  You really need to know what you are dealing with.  Life is much to short to give up the things you love for fear of bills.  Yes, I completely understand the not being able to afford things.  I am actually going in for an MRI today that I will be making payments on for the next year.

Offline Jaci

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 09:14:53 PM »
Futballer,

On the MRI-- many facilities offer discounts for cash payment/ self-pay. Get out your phone book or use yahoo yellow pages. Call every imagining center in your area and ask them what their price is for self-pay. Ask if they offer a greater discount for cash vs. credit card payments. I did this kind of checking at one point and found a facility with a really nice brand new open MRI that would do imagining w/o contrast for $350. The range of prices that I got was $350-1000, so it's worthwhile to 'shop around' so to speak.

Jaci
10/03 Twist injury
Arthrofibrosis ROM 38-68

redtoblack

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 09:20:49 PM »

Jaci- Great idea on the MRI.  I live in a very small town with only one option, but Futballer, if you live in a larger city or close to one get on that phone ;D

Offline Jaci

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 10:44:02 PM »
Redtoblack,

I had meant to include that disclaimer. I live in a well-populated area, so there is lots of competition for people's business.

Jaci
10/03 Twist injury
Arthrofibrosis ROM 38-68