Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Night time knee pain  (Read 8241 times)

Offline cpl_punishment

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Night time knee pain
« on: May 24, 2003, 10:50:27 AM »
I really need some help.  I get a throbing ache to the back of my knees either right as I'm falling asleep, or after I've been asleep for a short time.  The only way I can solve this is with advil and ice packs.  My doctor has no idea what causes this, or how to treat it.  I'm completely open to suggestions for cause and cure.

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I've fallen and I cannot get up?
Re: Night time knee pain
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2003, 07:57:15 PM »
Hi, cpl!

Welcome to the board.

I cannot begin to know what the problem is with your knees, but I'll start by saying what everyone else here will probably also say--and that is that knees can be very complicated, so don't be surprised if this means you need to seek medical treatment. It can end up being very simple or very complicated. I know that doesn't seem very helpful, and I'm sorry.

Now, let me say that I have found that sleeping with a pillow between my legs changes my position enough to make the morning knee pain less strong. Of course, I know what the problem is with my knee; but I often have terrible knee pain in the morning, especially when I straighten my leg. I think the pillow between my legs makes me sleep with my legs a little straighter, and that's why I have less trouble in the morning.

I usually use a regular, standard-sized pillow that is kind of flat, but you could start with one of those little airline-type pillows that is about half-sized, not a great big, fluffy one.  (By the way, I use the pillow lengthways, so the little, half-size would not work for me.) There are also some pre-molded foam pillows made especially for between the legs, but I'd suggest starting with something less expensive--preferably an old, nearly worn-out, flat pillow.

LizL
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation
2006: settled out of court in March

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2003, 09:12:08 PM »
Hi!

I will second what Liz has said about how complicated knees are--and ask what things has your doc done?  X-rays?  MRI?  I am certain that this is something, that kind of pain is not "typical" and you need some relief.  The fact that ibuprofen helps suggests that something inflamatory is going on--and quite honestly, I'd be in heaven if my knee issues could be resolved with ice and NSAID therapy.  however, you need to know what is up so that it can be resolved before it changes into something that is not easily cared for.

Maybe, if you haven't already, you need to see and orthopaedic surgeon and get a complete check up.  That might be the way to get to the bottom of it.  good luck, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Josey Posey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Josie Posey
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2003, 05:54:27 PM »
Hi Cpl
I too have had loads of pain at night time since I was about 4 years of age (i'm 37 now).  Although I have needed surgery twice,I have found that (and bear with me on this one as it sounds really weird!!!) a leg warmer, over the knee cap joint works absolute miracles.  The pain I get in my knees (although mainly the right one) is far worse at night and i can only begin to describe it like a very 'busy' feeling or something rushing around deep, deep inside the knee.  I have been given amitriptylene (??) for it but as they make me very tired, I don't like to take them too often.
I was told by my Consultant that the pain and sensations are due to damage being done to the knee joint and tiny nerves - Don't panic, not major damage or anything like that but if you have a weak knee anyway, wear and tear will certainly take it's toll.
Try the leg warmer but I would also recommend visiting your GP too.
Kind regards
Josie

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 104
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2003, 11:42:44 PM »
I suspect that you may have increased fluid pressure (effusion) inside your knee as a result of some internal problem. There is an anatomical area of weakness at the back of the knee where the joint lining can herniate out if the fluid presure is high.
Here is some backgroud info:
http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/901226567.html
KNEEguru
« Last Edit: August 03, 2003, 11:43:49 PM by admin »
--
KNEEguru