Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: broken leg, now knee pain  (Read 2797 times)

Offline Marriah

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • I Love Le-Lu!
broken leg, now knee pain
« on: September 12, 2002, 02:31:03 AM »
Hi everyone, glad to have found this site.  About 3 months ago, I was trying to jump off the side of a truck.  My foot got caught under the railing of the truck,  and the rest of my body twisted and kept going.   :P  It resulted in a spiral fracture , right leg, right below my knee.  It wound right up to my knee joint.  My fracture has healed well, but I am still having a LOT of pain.  I am unsteady on my leg, stumble and trip over things a lot.

Last week at my orthopedic doc did a little test on my leg.  He had me put my foot, knee bent, on his knee.  Then, as he held my knee in place, he pulled the bottom part of my leg.  It came out quite a bit more than my left leg had popped out.  This seemed to worry him, so he ordered an MRI.

I had the MRI yesterday, and it showed my ligaments to be intact, and no tears on my meniscus.  It did show swelling, and that I have fluid in my joint.

What does this mean?  Does the fluid cause a lot of pain?  He mentioned that if the MRI didnt show anything, that he may do a scope.  What would a scope show that an MRI didnt?  How do they fix fluid in the joint?  And how on earth did the fluid get there in the first place?

Thanks for your help, Marriah
May 02 nondisplaced spiral fracture, rt leg, below knee,incompetant dr.,now I have a piece of bone sticking up at the top of tibia, scope Nov 02...July 10, 03 had osteotomy,a plate,6 screws,ACL recon

Iona_-Uk

Re: broken leg, now knee pain
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2002, 01:44:03 PM »
Hi Marriah and welcome to the board!

Ok, MRI's are seemingto be not the be all and end all of all diagnostic tests- there is a great debate to this effect in the MRI &CT scanning area of board.

Fluid in the joint (effusion) will cause you restriction and indeed pain although it seems sensible for your OS to be giving you a scope to check all the soft tissue structures and joint surfaces.

If you are in severe pain, do refer back to your OS and consult with them.

Iona