Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 4 weeks down the long ACI road  (Read 17226 times)

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: 4 weeks down the long ACI road
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2007, 02:42:50 AM »
Bioprof,

It is comforting to hear of your good report!  I am scheduled for Carticel surgery on June 28th.  I had microfracture in Oct. and had no improvement; my defect actually got bigger and another was found under the patella.  We hear so many horror stories, that it is great to have you report your good news to us!  It does encourage me, and lessens my fear, somewhat!  Good luck!!

Peg Leg
10/06  Miicrofracture Rt knee on mfc
defect was 1.3x2, small defect under patella
04/07 Arthroscopy/Cell harvest for Carticel
06/28/07 Carticel surgery ,Rt. Knee
12/27/07  Scope to debride Patella lesion,Rt. Knee
4/17/08  Fulkerson AMZ, Rt. Knee
6/25/09 ConforMis BiCompartmental Knee Replacement

Offline bioprof

• Regular Poster
« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2007, 10:18:04 PM »
It's been months since I've posted here.  I apologize for my inactivity.  Been very busy with work and house renovations.

Tomorrow marks my one year ACI anniversary :P.  If you've followed my journey, you know it's been a roller-coaster of a ride - still is.  I completed my regular PT appts two weeks ago (1 month short of a year).  I'm no where near where I want to be, but I am riding a bike, doing stairs with almost no pain and even jogging (akwardly) along side my 7 yr old daughter as she rides her first 2-wheeler bike.  The biggest issue is my atrophied quads.  They're stilll signficantly weaker and smaller than my nonsurgical leg, but they are gradually strenghening.  I'm doing wall squats, leg extensions and bike 3x per week.  Some days I feel like I'm going to get back to playing baseball (still a fantasy right now) and other days I have doubts as to whether I'll be able to swing a golf club.

My OS has been very encouraging but also very forthright, stating that it will be at least 18 months before I'm ready to get back to competetive sports.  I'm eager to get back, but also a bit apprehensive about the wear and tear on my other 45 yr old joints.  This has been a really tough issue with me.  Do I gear it down and play golf (and be bored to death) or give it a go and hope the glucosamine, etc does its magic.

I'll post again soon.

Mike
8/05 - Cortisone injection, L. knee
10/05 - Meniscus repair, microfracture, L. knee
7/06 - Arthroscopy, Carticel biopsy, L. knee
8/06 - ACI, L. knee
5/07 - L. knee arthroscopy; post-ACI "clean up"

Offline David3

• Regular Poster
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2007, 02:59:36 AM »
Appreciate your posting Mike. I had, in fact, been wondering how you were doing. Your account certainly helps me prepare mentally for what lies ahead - it sort of struck a personal chord since I am now exactly.... "4 weeks down the long ACI road"..... and, like you, have a 7-year old daughter who is out on her bike alot. I may not be jogging beside her this year, but I am going to get there.

Hang in there - we've all read countless times that there is still alot of improvement to come between 1 year and 2 years. Best wishes, and please keep us updated.

By the way, how's plain old walking? Pain-free, limp-free?

David
2006: Left Knee (LK) microfracture (MFC, LFC, Trochlear), failed at 6 months
7/07: ACI/TTO of LK (MFC, LFC, trochlea, patella)
2014: Considering ACI treatment on RK.

Offline kalyjoe

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2007, 04:32:32 AM »
Hi Mike.

Glad to hear you are progressing and moving forward, even if it is slower than anticipated.  I think it's great you are running next to your daughter.  One of the things I have missed the most going through all this is just the simple things like chasing the kids and jumping on the trampoline with them.  So that is definitely encouraging to hear you are able to do that even if it is a bit awkward.  I hope your quad continues to improve; the muscle strength does make a difference in how the knee feels; I know that just from personal experience.

I wish you continued success on your recovery.   :)

Kristi
2 x 1.2 cm defect of right medial femoral condyle
Microfracture, right knee, October 18, 2004.
MACI using CaReS, same knee, November 30, 2006

Offline bioprof

• Regular Poster
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2007, 12:13:09 PM »
Thanks Kristi, and David.   Good to hear from you.  I hope your rehab is going well.  Walking is usually pain free - but that depends on what I did a day or two before.  Last week I did a 5 mile bike ride over some hilly trails.  My left leg muscles were screaming at the end and my knee was toast for about 2 days...soreness and even some pain over the MFC repaired area.  This still bugs me, but I've learned to live with it, trying to embrace the idea that full recovery is still some months away.

Mike
8/05 - Cortisone injection, L. knee
10/05 - Meniscus repair, microfracture, L. knee
7/06 - Arthroscopy, Carticel biopsy, L. knee
8/06 - ACI, L. knee
5/07 - L. knee arthroscopy; post-ACI "clean up"

Offline ivischwartz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2007, 01:58:09 PM »
Just checking in -

Bio - It sounds like you and I are in similar positions in age, activity level, and injury. I am at eight month mark. I am relieved to hear about the 18 month prognosis - I started out with this in mind, but you allow yourself to forget the timeline as you begin to make progress - sloooooow and steady wins the race (I hope). Some days I anticipate getting back to an active level at the end, other times, I just envision getting in shape without the active sports.

Right now my mindset is to focus on getting my body into great shape within the 18-24 month mark, and then evaluate. I have begun thinkg about sports which do not cause as much knee torque, but I have never been thrilled with any repetitive motion disciplines like running or biking. I have enjoyed working with a personal trainer because of the new things they bring to the table all the time, but this is expensive. Thoughts so far include spinning, aerobics and winter cross country skiing (not sure how much knee torque is involved). Still just thoughts for now....