Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Waiting for the process  (Read 3682 times)

Offline and4400

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Waiting for the process
« on: May 31, 2007, 04:04:36 AM »
Got approved finally but have to wait another six weeks  for an open day for surgery. Second week of July 3x3.5cm defect MFC. ACI will be placed on top of bone graft and I'll be having posts put in to hold one side of the patch down. This will be my forth and final surgery for some years hopefully. 
osteochondritis dissecans  RT. knee
Debridement Oct 06
Bone grafts 3x3cm defect MFC(harvest ACI)Dec 06
Scope Apr 07
ACI done July 07
Scope May 08,Scope Dec09
surgery #8 Oats(MFC) Open wedge HTO July 10'

Offline bioprof

• Regular Poster
Re: Waiting for the process
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 12:15:23 PM »
Good luck to you.  Yours is the first here (I believe) to involve ACI over a bone graft.  Please keep us posted.

Mike
8/05 - Cortisone injection, L. knee
10/05 - Meniscus repair, microfracture, L. knee
7/06 - Arthroscopy, Carticel biopsy, L. knee
8/06 - ACI, L. knee
5/07 - L. knee arthroscopy; post-ACI "clean up"

Offline and4400

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 03:52:59 PM »
 Mike,  Thank you I will keep posting once I get more info. I'm not looking foward to being on the crutches again. I spent six months on them from Oct til Apr. Right now I'm working on getting some muscle back before surgery again. The original thought was to have OATS done but because of the area of the defect it couldn't be done. My defect is on the MFC but right in the inside center to the back where the ACL attaches. Also I have no cartilage on the back side so there wouldn't be anything to hold the plug in. I'm hoping for less pain this time cause the bone graft surgery was the worst pain EVER....(more the knee than the hip in my case)
                                                   Andy
Debridement Oct 06
Scope Apr 07
ACI done July 07
Scope May 08,Scope Dec09

Offline and4400

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 04:02:03 AM »
Tomorrow is my big day finally. I'm a little nervious but not that bad. I'll be in surgery by 8:30 if all goes well. updates will come as soon as I'm feeling up to it and have a computer to use.     Andy
Debridement Oct 06
Scope Apr 07
ACI done July 07
Scope May 08,Scope Dec09

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 07:21:37 PM »
Andy,

Good luck!!!!!  I had my surgery 2 weeks ago, yesterday, and I survived to whine about it!!  The first week will fly by, thanks to good drugs, and the second week has been so much better!!!  I will keep you close in thought and prayer.  Let us know!

Peg Leg
10/06  Miicrofracture Rt knee on mfc
defect was 1.3x2, small defect under patella
04/07 Arthroscopy/Cell harvest for Carticel
06/28/07 Carticel surgery ,Rt. Knee
12/27/07  Scope to debride Patella lesion,Rt. Knee
4/17/08  Fulkerson AMZ, Rt. Knee
6/25/09 ConforMis BiCompartmental Knee Replacement

Offline and4400

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 03:06:46 PM »
Well everything went good as far as surgery goes, The os used three posts to help hold down the patch. The surgery was quite long about 5 hours so recovery was a little bit harder for me. I'm using all the ice up fast and using the cpm machine for 8hrs a day increasing 10 degree's a day if I can. The defect took two full vials of chonrocytes to fill. Please post some comments about ice machines Where's best place to purchase and best style.... (berg,donjoy,etc.)     
                                        Thanks for reading my posts os appointment tomorrow gonna try and get some pics. Andy
Debridement Oct 06
Scope Apr 07
ACI done July 07
Scope May 08,Scope Dec09

Offline and4400

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 03:36:05 PM »
Today is my sixth day post-op things are going ok. I'm up to 70 degrees on the cpm which is good. At this point it's really hard to be stuck in bed again I feel like I should be up doing stuff. I still have a full week until my staples are gonna come out, now that the wound is starting to heal there is some pulling on the skin. I ordered a berg polar care  which i can't wait to get,  gel packs pretty much suck cause they only last 30 mins or so. My quad muscle is still very sore which could be caused from the fermoral block or the turnakit(spelling?) 
                                                                            That's all for now Andy       

Debridement Oct 06
Scope Apr 07
ACI done July 07
Scope May 08,Scope Dec09

Offline and4400

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 04:02:12 PM »
Well it's been ten days since surgery and still have a few more days with the staples. I'll be happy to finally take a real shower. I'm doing 90 degree's on the cpm mostly during the night while sleeping i find this really helps from becoming stiff. My leg is still really weak I gotta use a rope mostly to help pick up my foot, and to do SLR's. I think this is because the incision is past where the quad muscle connects and can't engage the muscle yet? Like Pegleg said the first week diffently flies bye. Can't wait to be walking again. Andy 
Debridement Oct 06
Scope Apr 07
ACI done July 07
Scope May 08,Scope Dec09

Offline and4400

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 02:41:51 AM »
Well I went to the doctor today for my 4week post-op visit. Things are coming along pretty good so far. I'm still not able to get full extension only a couple of degree's off. My flexion is 135 so that is great. I can do forty or fifty SLRs in a row. My leg gets alittle swollen if I do alot but nothing to worry about. Starting tomorrow I can start putting a quarter of my weight on my leg, and then progressing 10to 20 pounds every two-three days.  I have a very differnt rehab then most people here  so I putting alot of faith on my doc. I'm still using the Cpm machine for another week until they come get it. The cpm is set at -5 to 105 to help get my full extension. Hopefully in another week I be back behind the wheel ;D as long as I can use the brake with my left foot????? Anyhow I'll keep working out in the pool which is so much easier than without. Post again soon. Andy
Debridement Oct 06
Scope Apr 07
ACI done July 07
Scope May 08,Scope Dec09

Offline lajama

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 08:52:58 AM »
glad to hear you are doing well!  this may be a bit too late BUT after 9 knee surgeries the BEST way to ice your leg is the old fashioned way, with ice :)  Actually, double bag with ziploc freezer bags.  Fill 3/4 of the way with crushed ice or whole if you don't have crushed.  Then add 1-2 cups of rubbing alcohol and freeze.  The alcohol keeps the ice from freezing into a block and it makes it into sort of a slushy but it stays very cold for almost an hour.  I swear this is way better than a cryocuff or gel packs or frozen peas any other method I have tried.  Hope it helps.
Jen
34 yo F
Left:
1/87 realignment,LR
9/02 debridement,LR
1/03 osteotomy,LR
2/07 PKR-patellafemoral arthroplasty

Right:
12/03 debridement,LR
5/04 Osteotomy
2/06 debridement
10/06 PKR-patellafemoral arthroplasty
8/07   Carticel harvest
10/07 Carticel implant
4/08 scope, debridement

Offline and4400

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 07:54:25 PM »
 It's time for a quick update. It's been alittle over nine weeks since surgery and my leg is still sore. I have some swelling and pain on my right side top of the tibia which is opposite side of defect. I had alot of pain here when I first starting WB and had multi x-rays which were clean, so I'm going back to see the OS to find out some answers. Anyway the graft site is still tender but overall getting better. I'm about three weeks into PT which is going well my quad muscles are really coming along. I was able to really enjoy my wedding on the 1st of sept which I'm very thankful for. I was only walking for about a week ahalf before the wedding but was able to walk down the asile without to much of a limp. Overall I'm doing pretty good except the tibia which isn't gonna effect the graft just my PT. Off to the doctor's so I'll update in a few. Andy
Debridement Oct 06
Scope Apr 07
ACI done July 07
Scope May 08,Scope Dec09

support