Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Alot of fluid in knee  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Squrll54

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Alot of fluid in knee
« on: May 24, 2003, 05:08:53 AM »
I am a little over 2 weeks post op and I have a considerable ammount of fluid in my knee. The WC doctor said it is normal, but the pt said it needs to be drained. I had a lateral release and had the "fatty pad" removed from my knee. Did or does anyone else have alot of fluid in there knee after the surgery?

Thank you for your time

Offline neil

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: Alot of fluid in knee
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2003, 07:26:19 AM »
i am almost 4 weeks fromlr and scope  and i still have fluid. it is normal for fluid if you are going thru therpy. are they estimming and icing after therapy? you should ice at least every 2 hours, if possible and follow rice. it took almost 3 months before my knee resmbled a knee after first operation and i exppect in a week or two to be swelling free. remember, the more they do to the knee, the higher chance of scar tissue, adhesions and swelling.  good luck
9-13-02 - present, 4 surgeries to right knee. quad severed, piece of femoral condyle cut off, shaving of patella. had cartilage implant 9-22-03, fluid drain, cultures & manipulation10-21-03

Offline Squrll54

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2003, 09:29:25 AM »
Right about now I am starting to get a little scared because I started to get a little numb feeling in my leg. Now my toes are getting timgling. It is like 1:30 in the morning now and  I do not know who to call. Also my leg, calf especially is very cold. not sure what to do.

Offline Ross

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • it only hurts when I larf!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2003, 10:36:23 AM »
Everyone has a different story about fluid, my knee kept on filling up and I initially had it drained, instant relief, DON'T look at what come out though it will certainly put you off your lunch!  Subsequently I just elevated the beggar and iced it, maybe a little lest instantaneous relief but a lot easier to look at.

I'm about eight weeks out from the hardware removal and the thing will fill with fluid and hurt like mad (driving will bring a grown man near to tears!) on whim.  There doesn't seem to be a specific activity that gets it going but it all ends in a loud click and "YEEOWCH!"

If your leg is cold I would suggest that the first thing to do is to check your toenails for any sign of blueness, restricted circulation is a possibility, if no blue, put on some thick socks!
I'm a grumpy old bear with a busted knee.  The growling you hear is my tummy rumbling!

support