Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Weird Feeling In Left knee?  (Read 9543 times)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Weird Feeling In Left knee?
« on: September 16, 2006, 04:18:08 PM »
I would like to know if anyone else has these symptoms that I encounter on my left knee, when I sitting down and bend left knee with hand over knee cap I can feel some movement on the side of kneecap like crackling itís hard to explain in detail with slight clicking/popping sound. I know many people have this symptom but knee does ache and get some sharp pain.

My right knee does not feel the same but can feel something on outer side of knee cap towards bottom a crackling sensation? (I think) is this normal? Also aches at times and get sharp pain but not as often as left knee.

Any suggestions of what I could be would be great; I will not see an OS as I donít want them to do anything to them. Seeing an Osteopath at the moment and might see PT privately as NHS are not as good.

I work full time as a Greenkeeper so use my knees physically everyday; I take Glucosamine and Devils Claw twice a day. I had a headache today and took some ibuprofen but not got rid of knee ache.

Nick† :) {2006} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Arnoldplum

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • Easy does it.. but do it!
Re: Weird Feeling In Left knee?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 08:07:07 PM »

Hi clarky
                         What you describe is similar to what ive felt in my left knee cap since a couple of days ago. Like you say a click! Mine only happens if i bend my knee cap more than 90degrees and only on the way back, during extension. So im wondering if it might be something to do with the articular cartilage. I think this is the cartilage that covers the end of the femur,cushoning and protecting the patellas path over the trochlea groove. So im guessing ive got a torn piece of this carilage on the bottom of the femur, such that when i bend more than 90degrees the torn bit catches on the patella and as the patellas going back up again this piece jumps up creating an obstical for the patella to ride causing the click sensation..... But thats just a hunch.... it only happens sometimes with me also which makes me think its possible for the torn bit to fall back into place , if you get what i mean...    Let me know if you find out more.. Arns

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 05:10:19 PM »
Hi Arnoldplum,

Thanks for the reply you mentioned your knee clicks on the way back from extension mines opposite hear a click on way to bending the knee but have to put hand over it to feel and hear it. With a torn meniscus you get locking, I dont get this and pain when walking up stairs that I dont get, do you get any of these symptoms that I have mentioned.

When I am sitting down with hand over left knee cap it clicks for the 1st few bends then stops but feel slight movment of the side of the kneecap more on outerside I think (could be both?)
Right knee cap when bent can feel crunching sensation on the bottom outer side of knee cap, left knee not as much in same spot. The left knee feel just slightly unstable when walking, can feel its not right but does not bother me that much.

Here a MRI scan of right knee taken over 2 years ago is the pain caused by patella hitting fat pad? (should have had left knee scanned instead)

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=24287.0

I was bad over 2 years ago could not run and walked with a limp but got better with rest, still get pain mentioned in 1st posting that increases after activity and when its cooler outside.

Nick  :) {2006} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Laura0310

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 09:01:58 PM »
Hi there.
To be honest your story sounds remarkably like mine. I had a weird 'popping' type feeling over a year ago. Since then a lot more and another big one like the first just under a year ago. When I put my hand over my knee and bend it it feels and sounds very clicky for the first few bends. Although it is quite a muffled click - not sure how to explain but is not a very 'clear' click.
I do have very clicky knees otherwise - often when I am goind up or down stairs or going to sit on the floor. I have some pain sometimes but it is normally just discomfort. I had an MRI in August and nothing showed up (my GP said it might be loose cartilage or a tear - but there was nothing there). He did, however, say that it looked like i did a lot of kneeling. I asked someone about this and he said it could be inflammation of the fat pads or some type of Hoffas Syndrome. I can see that there are a lot of links between our two stories. Although I can't really help you Ijust found it quite interesting that our stories seemed to link in so many ways. All I've been told is to carry on as normal and see if anything else happens - not very helpful really!
If you find anything out please let me know - just wish I could help you more!
Laura x

Offline Arnoldplum

• Regular Poster
  • Easy does it.. but do it!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 12:09:21 AM »
      Sorry bout that clarky, i was trying to insert a quote from your mri report n sent it out by mistake.. But anyways , this synovial herniation thing... from what i can gather, the synovial fluid is retained in the synoviam < xq's spelling> i believe its a capsule although dont quote me, that baisicly acts a bit like hydrolic suspension in the knee. Herniation of it into the fat pad i think means there is a lesion in that fat pad thats taking in a bit of synovial fluid, lessening the effectiveness of the suspension property. i really dont know enough, to be sure bout all that... just some thoughts

Offline paulgrech

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 02:18:12 PM »
Laura,
Thanks for emailing. I don't know how to reply individually so I hope you don't mind me replying here about your MRI. Firstly let me say that no test is 100% and loose bodies are particularly difficult to see on MRI but I think would be unlikely at your age without additional evidence of a meniscus tear or cartilage defect.
About the kneeling. I suspect that there was some fluid in the prepatellar or pretibial bursa i.e. in the region between the skin and the patellar tendon. Used to be called parsons or housemaids knee. Wouldn't really account for your symptoms.
Regards Paul
www.uk-radiology.co.uk

support