Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: What does 'subluxing' feel like?  (Read 2077 times)

Offline kld

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
What does 'subluxing' feel like?
« on: September 12, 2002, 12:31:48 AM »
when your knee subluxes, is it an event that one is well aware of? my knee pops when i bend and straigten it repeatedly-is this the same as subluxing?
 my PT says subluxing is an event and you would be able to say "my knee subluxed at 5pm on friday"- as opposed to me who says, i feel my knee popped when i walked up the step. is this subluxing? i'd love to know bc it will help me assess how serious my prob is. thanks in advance
« Last Edit: November 05, 2002, 01:24:18 AM by admin »
29 year old athletic female; plica removal 10/02

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
Re: subluxing- how do i know
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2002, 11:47:37 AM »
From My peronal experience.
Yes you would know. A subluxation is actually a  PARTIAL dislocation, you can usually see and feel the joint etc out of place, it is usually quite painful and feels very very ODD to say the least. If it is your patella for example then the knee somtimes locks or gets stuck at the patella can "block" normal movement while out and sometimes they need to be physically Shifted Back "IN".
I have subluxing nearly everything from Jaw to toes and I dislcoate most things to. I am by no means an expert but this is my experience of what it felt like. I must also say in hindsight (now that I am 100% sure of what they feel like etc I have been having them for most of my life and since I have had them since OH since I was about 2 or 3 years old I just thought that the feeling was "normal" it wasn't until I started to have major problems that I realised that it wasn't normal and was a minor subluxation.
I sublux my patella's frequently and the sort of feel tight and like there is something stuck in there and I also get the feeling of a "sturcture' being caught on top or the patella is caught underneath. And I hvae to press on the top outer corner/edge of my patella and sort of wiggle it antil it releases and "slips" back to where it should be and uncatches.
I don't know if this makes any sense to you or others but this has been my experience with it.
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2002, 02:05:54 PM »
You definately know your knee is subluxing!.

You can see that the knee is out of alignment and of ofplace and you can sometimes feel it grating over the surfaces of the knee- well mine used too- horrible.

Clicking and popping can be attributedto other mechanical problems in the knee, they are usually a symptom of something. Subuluxion can be caused by something, like Shazinoz's hypermobility or it can be some other mechanical problem. Mine was attricuted to scar tissue from previus surgeries puch the knee cap of out position when it was bending.

Iona

Offline melissa

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2002, 07:47:26 PM »
when my knee subluxes it feels like it is "Catching" for several steps and then it reallly CATCHES! I can feel it pop loudly and then it feels a lot better instantly. I had mt TTT and LR 9 weeks ago and have trouble with my opposite knee still subluxing. My operative leg is still weak and when the other one subluxes I almost fall. Quite imbarrassing. I would say you would feel catching and thening popping at least for me. Melissa
screws removed 12/03
Fulkerson and LR 12/16/02 on right knee
Fulkerson and LR 7/11/02 on left knee

support