Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Going stir crazy  (Read 2537 times)

Offline Jennie

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • LoveBug
Going stir crazy
« on: May 21, 2003, 12:08:30 AM »
Hey all!

Well tomorrow is my one week mark since my surgery and I still have 9 more days util I get my staples out and I am going crazy. I don't know why I have done this so many times I should be used to doing nothing for 2 weeks but for some reason this time it has realy done a number on me. I have read, listned to music watched crap on top of crap on t.v and played my violin and I am crazy ::) What has everyone else done to get through these first couple of weeks of anxiety any ideas?? just needed to vent I promise I will be better soon and not such a witch and I promise I'm not the only person I care about :( Hope everyone is doing okay.

Jennie
21 yrs. old..Right knee injury. Ligament Recon 6-21-01, 2 LR's 3/02 & 9/02
TTT 11/08/02, patella and ligament recon 5/03
Recently dx with OA, Having hardware removed and knee scoped on 6/24/04

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
Re: Going stir crazy
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2003, 12:33:50 AM »
Jennie,

Last time I was laid up, I discovered a lot of new internet stuff (I rigged the connection so I could sit in my recliner and surf).  It was more fun than reading for some reason.

I found www.musicmatch.com and got a subscription, basically listened to and ordered a ton of new music.  I still use it every day, so if you have a decent internet connection you might want to look into this or something like it.

I also became addicted to cable news...you name it, I watched it.  I wouldn't recommend it....

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline lam651

• Forum Faithful
  • Someday
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2003, 06:50:22 PM »
Hi Jennie,
I too, am recovering from surgery I had in Mar. For me, watching sports on TV has helped, also reading about sports. Teams I have no interest in I read about just to keep my mind on something.

My situation is that my whole summer is going to be more surgery and more recovery. A couple years ago I had surgery where I was non-weight bearing for 6 or 8 wks. and just about went crazy. I went up and down hallways on my crutches just trying to get exercise.

Now I'm more toned down and more realistic. I try to get something physically and mentally constructive done each day and try to notice each way I move forward in my recovery. I know it's hard because we all want our lives back so bad. Good luck in your recovery, Larry
arthoscopy('99),HTO(tibia didn't heal 10/01),knee braces(7/02),HTO w/ex.fix. to repair tibial non-union(3/03), remove ex. fix.(9/03),HTO other leg(12/03)

Offline martiniswiller

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2003, 06:44:28 AM »
Jennie,
I feel your pain!  I was down for about 3 weeks with my last surgery (OATS).  It was hard to find things to do because I was so drugged up, and I was hooked to a CPM machine.  Crossword puzzles and Netflix fixed me right up!  I know this is corny, but maybe you could start a gratitude journal.  Just jot down each day something that you are grateful for, and maybe things won't seem so bad. Hang in there, it won't be long before you start wishing you had some time to yourself!!
LR on left knee 8/01, LR & Chondroplasty on right knee 1/02.. had OATS procedure 9/26/02. Possible torn meniscus in left knee, but battling breast cancer, so knee is on hold!

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2003, 08:03:48 AM »
Hi!

Don't underestimate the power of a good book either...I also love to do handwork--crochet or crossstitch or emboidery or something.  One of my favorites is shopping over the net--but my hubby is wise to that one and kind of makes sure I can't reach any credit cards--lol.

Another of my favorites is to read to my little ones--they love it anytime and it is one thing I can do, even in a pain med haze...Holding  the puppy or guinea pig is relaxing as well...

And if all else fails, running up the phone bill is a good one.  

Actually the pain med thing seems to be an issue for me right now--this is the worst typing I've ever done--maybe some things shouldn't be encouraged.

I do hope that you are back on your feet and feeling good soon!  Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Jennie

• Forum Faithful
  • LoveBug
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2003, 07:34:37 PM »
Thank you all for your help and advice. I only have until thursday the 29 until I get my staples out and then hopefully I can feel better without this 50 lbs. of gauze and bandaging on my leg!Hope you are all doing okay and will talk to you soon

Jennie
21 yrs. old..Right knee injury. Ligament Recon 6-21-01, 2 LR's 3/02 & 9/02
TTT 11/08/02, patella and ligament recon 5/03
Recently dx with OA, Having hardware removed and knee scoped on 6/24/04

Offline need_help

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2003, 07:56:02 PM »
Some good ideas. I will be have my ninth knee surgery in the next few months. But wow, 20 yrs old. Look after your knee cause if you do not the trouble you are having now will seem like nothing years down the road. I was 18 and hurt mine at work. At 32 I was walking bone on bone. (mind you they know alot more about knees today than in 1976). These sports players should send us all a strong message on how they are doing now, years later. I have ostero-arthris and degenitive.  I am 45 and if I knew what I knew now I would have done things a lot different. I am not saying do nothing but use caution. Its your life and the people around you. After several years I have worn out my other knee by, yes you guessed it, over compensation. Now I am paying for it. I should do lectures on it cause if it would help a few, even one, it would be worth it. So take care of yourself and look after that body of yours. God Bless.
Lt knee, injured at work and had surgery that was fair, now years later over compensation has caused damage to the Rt knee. High Tibial Ost. to be done soon on left.