Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Football (soccer) injury-Mark  (Read 1495 times)

Offline jkt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Football (soccer) injury-Mark
« on: September 13, 2006, 03:24:57 PM »
Hi Guys
Wht a great place the internet is,I wouldnt have deamt there would be a website like this.

My son is 21 a big lad 6-3 and has had two injuries on his knee and he is now in a splint. Its all a bit garbled but they've told him he has torn his cruciate and medial? ligaments and are very soon to do a scan.

They seem to be acting as if this is serious.....so I'm worried.

he was just about to start a career following the sports science route,I fear he may now be facing some doubt about this???

I'm not sure what any of you guys can say at this stage but any observations or tips wouldbe helpful.

We are based in Swansea UK

John Tancock

Offline Engineer Joe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Football (soccer) injury-Mark
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 06:45:32 PM »
speaking as someone who was injured on the soccer field...Depending on how much time per week he spent playing, the down time can get to be depressing.  I was playing at least 4 times a week, averaging 2 hours every time that i played.  If he was playing a whole lot, he's going to need something useful to fill that time with.  It's hard to go from exercising very regularly to almost none at all.  Make sure he's got something he can fall back on to absorb his time.  The lack of physical activity combined with being unsure of if and when he'll get back on the pitch can be very depressing.  So that's why it's important that he fill the time with something that is constructive and enjoyable.  Also, it will deter him from trying to start going 100% again too soon.  My present predicament is due to my unwillingness to let myself heal completely.  It will be very hard for him to use self control when he gets to the point where he can jog around, but shouldn't be playing in games.  I have a feeling that will be the hardest thing.

Offline tony1233

• Forum Faithful
  • http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=4026561&o
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 12:48:10 AM »
 So I may have injured my knee playing soccer or football as most people call it over your way . and I have kept on playing and  entend to keepl playing : soccer( indoor and outdoor (until the snow comes ) ) , volleyball and basketball  so... I may be hurting my self more then ?
09/30/07 Diagnosed with partial ACL tear (left knee)
02/03/10 American Football injury, Diagnosed with ACL & MCL complete tear (right knee)
(R)lateral meniscotomy 08/11/10
(L) Lateral meniscotomy 10/28/11
(L) MCL & Medial Meniscus tear 07/12
(L) injury 01/23/12

Offline Engineer Joe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 01:45:46 AM »
i'm not necessarily saying that.  I've played through injuries before, but i haven't ever, in retrospect, decided it was a wise decision.  I'm just saying that alot of the time, people know that they shouldn't be playing on something because they know they aren't 100% or they decide to play through pain.  I was told by my doctor to rest it.  I should have completely rested it.  Instead I just stopped playing league games, but continued to play scrimmages once a week.  So i'm not trying to convery that people shouldn't play any if they are injured.  i'm only commenting that alot of people play even when they know they shouldn't because they are so addicted to the game. 

Offline tony1233

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 10:47:19 AM »
 ya that's my point of view no one seems to understand why I am going to keep playing although I am in the pain but it is because I am puerly addicted to it .
02/03/10 American Football injury, Diagnosed with ACL & MCL complete tear (right knee)
(L) injury 01/23/12

Offline gavpage

• Regular Poster
    • the4pages
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 12:26:57 PM »
I was playing football 3 times a week when I injured my knee.

The knee cap popped out and back in again. I went to the Doctors and they said to rest it. This I did for 3 weeks until the swelling went down.

Played again and landed straight legged (was in goal - thought I'd be safe there!) and my leg completely gave way. I'm sure I caused more damage through playing football after the inital injury.

I spent the time between injury and Cruciate ligament repair building up leg muscles and cycling.

You'll find more "football" experienced people on the Crucitate Ligament board / section of this site.

Cheers

Gavin
Knee injury whilst playing football Jan 06 - told to rest for two weeks
Feb 06 - knee collapsed playing football
Mar 06 Diagnosed with torn ACL and meniscus tear
3rd August - Hamstring ACL and meniscus trim

Offline sjabiev

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 03:56:08 PM »
ya that's my point of view no one seems to understand why I am going to keep playing although I am in the pain but it is because I am puerly addicted to it .

I am addicted to soccer as well and did what you seem to be doing, played through injuries (2 torn miniscus and chondromalacia) for about 7 years. Sure, everything was ok while I was younger, but hitting 30 now and it all came back to haunt me. I got to the point when I could not even swim any more so ended up having surgery anyways. And of course if I had had it sooner, it would not have gotten so bad. Just something to think about.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 10:24:52 PM by sjabiev »

Offline tony1233

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 12:15:18 AM »
 I am waiting for my doc to get back . But I figure that I'll keep playing even if he recommends not to .
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 11:11:12 AM by tony1233 »
(L) injury 01/23/12

Offline jkt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 11:10:06 AM »
thanks guys. I'll get Mark to post here when his siuation changes.

support