Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Mountains out of Molehills!  (Read 845 times)

Offline GolfGrl72

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Mountains out of Molehills!
« on: September 12, 2006, 07:09:52 PM »
Am I making too much of a slight thing?  My PT told me my patella is really swollen, we cant use heat because it cripples me, I have all the treatments daily and do the exercises which feel good, but I get this pain on the inside right if the knee cap (I have patellafemoral on the right leg), and this tingling sensation through the middle of the cap.  I feel like my PT thinks I am making this up.  I am going for an MRI (when??? who knows!) to maybe see what the tingling is.  WHen he moves my leg about all he says is "It's smooth, I don't know why you're sore" but I am!!! :'( I'm not making it up and when I told him my GP and my knee surgeon BOTH measured my legs and there is a CM (or an inch) difference he says he doesn't think so, by looking at it is he doesn't agree.  So.....THis pain that I keep saying to myself is because of the swelling and that when that goes down...there will be no more is that right?  Am I right to have this much pain?  I haven't been sleeping, I can't be out long walking, my leg gets so tired and I feel like my PT thinks I am making it up.  Has anyone been through this?  Why do I feel guilty for this pain???

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Mountains out of Molehills!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 07:54:55 PM »
 :-\ I am sorry you are struggling so. Maybe it's worth thinking about a different PT.  I had  one like that of which you speak and she was just dragging me down. I wanted to do what I could to make this better, and she just kind of... gave up on me. I changed and Boy what a difference. 
IT is hard with medical people, some more than others to get them to understand that we are actually experiencing alot of pain. That even though they can't visibly see why... it is very real. I stuggled with my OS for a very long time... my knees didn't used to get swollen when my PF problems began and he assumed that meant it was in my head. But he did stick by me and now realizes that I wasn't making it up.
HOpefully when the inflammation around your kneecap goes down your pain will subside with it, but why is your kneecap swollen? Did you  fall, have some other trama?  If it just came out of no where... other than the fact you have been told you have patello femoral syndrome... then the cause  needs to be addressed in order to deal with the symptoms.

Goodluck and I hope you get some answers soon. You have found the right place.. we all know it isn't in your head.
Hang in there

linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline GolfGrl72

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Mountains out of Molehills!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 08:50:50 PM »
Ah thanks Linds!!  I guess we can all relate to so many questions... so little answers.  I will give him until my next doctors and surgeons apt (which fall in the same week) and see what they say about him.  The Patella Femoral Syndrom, just developed, from what I can imagine working aggresively in turf care (on golf courses). I did have a couple of scopes when I was a teenager but that did not show then... So I can only think its my weight/height and the type of work I do.  I am tall but fairly tiny.  Glad I am not going crazy or think that I am faking this pain... I will see how things continue and talk to my GP about a mew PT.  My doctors has already asked if I feel the physio is working.  My response?  I am no longer on crutches and am limping less but thats it.  So, time will tell I guess.  Thank you..  :)