Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: my left knee has started to "crunch"...  (Read 895 times)

Offline zenmaster

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
my left knee has started to "crunch"...
« on: September 11, 2006, 02:18:16 PM »
I am new to the board so hello everyone.  About a year ago my left knee started to "crunch" when walking downstairs or doing deep knee bends or even just putting pressure on it by pushing down...it does not hurt at all but has me worried.  I played soccer for a number of years but haven't played for the past 2 years due to chronic plantar fasciitis and since then I've gone from 170 to 235...I'm sure the extra weight doesn't help.

Bottom line...I am going to begin a weight training program to lose the weight and get back in shape along with some specific stretching etc. for my plantar fasciitis should I see my knee doctor before I begin this regimen or is this just normal wear and tear?

Thx,
Z

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: my left knee has started to "crunch"...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 02:52:48 PM »
Hi Z... welcome to the board. I am glad you have found it, because it sounds like you need it.. but sad that your knee isn't great.
It is likely that the crunching, if not accompanied by pain could be some wear and tear, probably chondromalacia or something in whcih the cartilage on the back of the patella gets softened up with time.  If I were you I would consult the doc before you start a weight training regimine just to make sure it's nothing.. and also to find out what exercises you might avoid, that could cause further agravation.

Goodluck
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: my left knee has started to "crunch"...
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 02:53:58 PM »
If you're not having pain and haven't had any specific injury sounds like normal wear and tear. Can probably go away when you loose weight.
Many people have these noises and they doesn't mean anything.
Good luck with the program.

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

support