Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: painful feet  (Read 2308 times)

Offline Rachel_F-D

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
painful feet
« on: April 22, 2004, 08:15:54 PM »
Hi, I'm new here. I have hypermobility as part of an inherited mitral valve prolapse syndrome. I am finding that, when one joint decides to seize up, they all decide to join in the fun! At the moment, I am struggling with a new pain which is wrecking my sleep. Every night at about 2am I wake with terrible pain in both my feet. The pain is on the upper, outer part of my feet from about mid-foot up to my ankle and I can't get rid of it for hours. As long as I rub the areas, the pain subsides, only to come back as soon as I try to go back to sleep. It isn't quite like cramp but I do wonder if I am tense and hyper-extending my feet under the heavy duvet. Have any of you had this symptom and, if so, what is it and what can I do? Also, is it a generalised inflamatory process that causes these bouts of genralised joint stiffness followed by good patches? I am feeling very tired and teary and my job as a midwife depends on me being very awake!! Thanks

shadehawk

Re: painful feet
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 04:24:59 PM »
Have you tried using a hot water bottle on your feet, this might soothe the muscles in your feet and calm them down so you can get back to sleep.  Wearing socks to bed might also help you.  Maybe your feet are getting cool and this is what is going on.
Hot baths might also help.
There are compression socks by airwayplus which might help you out at work and keep you more relaxed.  They feel just like knee highs and can be bought at any drug store. These are not those heavy compression socks that granny wore, they are very lightweight socks and comfortable.   They are graduated compression ladies'support socks. 18mmHg at the ankle and 15mmHg at the calf.  They are made of nylon/spandex and good for blood circulation.  I have problems with my feet and ankles and they have helped me alot.

Give them a try.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 04:42:24 PM by shadehawk »

shadehawk

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 07:57:15 PM »

Offline Rachel_F-D

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 10:42:29 AM »
Thanks! I actually posted this message early this year and a lot has happened since then. My night pains got worse and worse and , as I susspected, the pain is due to hypermobility which I have in a big way. I have now been diagnosed with joint hypermobility syndrome and been seen by rheumatologists (who confirm that it is not rheumatism or arthritis) and orthotists (who have kitted me out with various braces to prevent hyperextension of various joints.) The pain in my feet is caused by nerves being constantly overstretched. All the self-help treatments from massage through to acupuncture through to heat pads didn't work as they didn't stop the feet flopping forward and the nerve pain could seemingly break through anything. After various painkillers which didn't touch the pain cos they couldn't stop the cause, and various sleeping tablets which didn't work cos they relaxed me even more (!), I was given sleeping splints which give me some relief but are not very sexy!! Thanks for the replies and, if anyone else out there has hypermobility syndrome, there is a very good Hypermobility Syndrome Association on-line with help, advice and support.

shadehawk

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 03:48:09 PM »
Glad to see that you are getting some relief from your pain finally.
Hope everything goes well for you.  Good luck and have a Merry Xmas season.