Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: "Good sneakers for knees  (Read 20261 times)

Offline moonbeam

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
"Good sneakers for knees
« on: September 10, 2006, 08:40:31 PM »
HI to everyone,

I work on concrete and in retail. However not since my surgery. Not much walking yet. However my second opinion advised the softest heel for my footwear. I had been buying my footwear with good arch support. Hence, my New Balance were adequate. However he said the sole(heel) of those were not soft enough. He said a long distance running shoe, perhaps the ones that have funky colors on them may be his choice. So now what do I buy?  Anyone have any advice on footwear brands they have encountered that they couldn't do without?

Thanks

knee deep in Goo

Re: "Good sneakers for knees
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 12:09:38 AM »
Ryka has some sneakers that actually can pass as shoes.

Offline moonbeam

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 07:02:24 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Are they soft in the heel compared with some sneaks. Solid colors are great but the absorption is what the OS was concerned with.

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 04:34:31 PM »
very soft in the heel.  A sneaker bottom.

Offline heycurt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 04:34:25 AM »
Find some Josef Seibel European Comfort Shoes.  Much better than my high end Rocksports, New Balance, Avias!  I found mine at Nordstroms Outlet.  Like walking on a cloud.   Good luck

Plus, they look like REGULAR SHOES! :)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 04:36:50 AM by heycurt »

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Louann in Tennessee/USA
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 04:09:46 AM »
Custom Orthodics

You insurance may cover this expense.  I had problems with rolling my ankle to avoid using my knee.  I didn't even know I was doing it until my foot started hurting.

The orhodics are custom insoles.  I am flatfooted so the impact of concrete is double trouble for my knee.

The orthodics took care of all my foot woes.

Some people hate them, but I think they are the greatest.  I rarely wear sandles anymore because I can't put the orthodics in them.
Mulitple Knee surgeries/ TKA: 06  
Left Hip femoroplasty : 08   
Post Op- TKAinTN 06: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33906.

Offline caren

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • here we are together
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 04:52:42 PM »
I could not do with out my Adidas or Nike shox anything with the weird looking bottoms that have the holes in them they really absorb the shock got mine on Ebay for alot less than the shoe store
good luck
Caren
Caren

Offline mbr20

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »
Not sure if you have the brand where you live but in Australia and NewZealand we have a brand of shoe called "Kumfs". Made in NZ. They sell dress shoes and work shoes which are specifically designed with soft soles and arch supports. Has made a huge difference at work and also have a nice pair of flat 'pretty' shoes for going out.
Bilateral PF Osteoarthritis

Offline erinee

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 11:34:21 PM »
Very ugly,but I love my MBT's!!
37 year old physical therapist, Left lateral release '92, bilateral debridement and scope '04, bilateral patellar cartliage defects, denied ACI repeatedly by insurance.  Scope and debridement 12/06 L knee.Bilat patellar ACI with Fulkerson 4/23/07.

Offline hoppy68005

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Patella Hardware
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 06:24:36 PM »
I also work in retail, in the back room with the concrete floors. I've found the most comfortable shoe, for me, is the Adidas Venture trail runner. Bext shoe I've ever found for shock absorobtion, though the colors tend to be a bit loud.

Offline amy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 05:14:11 AM »
I love Brooks Ariel.  They are for pronators.  The third generation are soooo comfortable and offers excellent cushioning and stability.  I used to wear custom orthotics, but finds these sneakers are more comfortable than other sneakers with the orthotic in them.  I pretty much live in them at work.  I am at the point that I don't care if they look great with my outfit.  I want to be comfortable and walk.  Here is a link so you can see what they look like  http://www.shoebuy.com/brooks-ariel-3/159780/367475
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 05:17:54 AM by amy1 »
6/2004 partial lateral meniscus removal and microfracture left knee
7/13/05  open lateral release, medial plication, spur removal right knee
12/06  re do proximal realignment right knee (scar tissue formed ) 5 days post op - fell and fractured elbow
08/2009 - feeling good so far work 50 hrs a week

Offline Virulent

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2007, 01:08:08 PM »

Personally, i intend on buying anything that is for Basketball and anything that is for professional runners.

Nike Shox is one, and Nike Air Max.
All the other shoes i've seen don't seem to have the right type of heel/ankle support. I've always found that shoes that are slightly raised at the heel make my feet and knees feel the most comfotable.
Probably something with a bit of a high-top would be good too.

If anyone has any up-to-date recommendations i'd really appreciate it as i'm about to buy some for my dodgy knees.

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2007, 03:02:49 PM »
I have Josef Siebel clogs.

I also work in retail - on concrete - but behind the till area where I spend  a lot of time my boss put carpet down to make it softer under foot - bless him! - It has actually benefitted everyone.
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline vman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 07:45:39 PM »
Here's what I found that helps.

Go get yourself one of those gel insoles. Now, typically the gel part is supposed to be the bottom surface (in contact with the shoe) and the opposite surface in contact with the palm of your foot is flat (usually fabric).

What I found to help was invert the way you are supposed to insert the gel insole. So, the gel (wavy, undulating) surface is in contact with your foot. I think its a combination of the softness as well as the waviness of the gel surfaces (redistributes the load) that makes this works.

Worked like a charm for me ... best of luck

Offline rrg091

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 04:39:29 AM »
i just actually went on a shoe escapade earlier this week, hoping to find something with good support. I ended up getting some nice asics shoes, but while i was looking i saw a display for MBT shoes. they are apparently very good for knees  and hips but very expensive (however, the sales clerk said that in some countries insurance will cover them). they are supposed to create the feeling and movements of walking in sand. the website is www.swissmasai.com if anyone wants to check them out. i can't personally attest to how good they work, but from what i've read about them, they take a lot of stress off the joints.

Offline amy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 01:52:12 PM »
I have heard that some people swear by them.  I tried them on and after walking in the store for a few minutes, my back started to spasm.  Just be sure that you walk in the store wearing them awhile and find out the return policy
6/2004 partial lateral meniscus removal and microfracture left knee
7/13/05  open lateral release, medial plication, spur removal right knee
12/06  re do proximal realignment right knee (scar tissue formed ) 5 days post op - fell and fractured elbow
08/2009 - feeling good so far work 50 hrs a week

Offline SuzanneT

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2007, 02:38:34 PM »
I just broke down & ordered a pair of MBT's.  They were very expensive!  ($260.00)  Obviously, I am desperate.  I'll let you know what I think.  Suzanne
12/31/06 tibial plateau fracture (medial)
              fibula fracture
              patella fracture
              (no surgery, long, slow recovery)
   8/1/07  7 months, beginning FWB
   8/1/08  more physical therapy to develop
               calf & quads
   8/21/08 climbing stairs

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2007, 01:35:13 PM »
I wear my crocs to work now - they are lovely to wear all day- if it is chilly I just wear socks with them.
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline SuzanneT

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 07:48:15 AM »
I got my MBT's today!  I am not FWB yet, but I did try them on & give them a walk around the house using 1 crutch.  Two of their claims are 100% accurate & to my surprise, instant.  Posture was automatically improved & those calf muscles kicked in just standing there.  It was amazing!  I'll keep you posted on how they work as my walking progresses.  Suzanne
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 08:58:59 PM by SuzanneT »
12/31/06 tibial plateau fracture (medial)
              fibula fracture
              patella fracture
              (no surgery, long, slow recovery)
   8/1/07  7 months, beginning FWB
   8/1/08  more physical therapy to develop
               calf & quads
   8/21/08 climbing stairs

Offline bbkid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2008, 08:12:14 PM »
I put my two cents in on this matter. I bought a pair of walk fit america orthotic's. then I take the insole out of the shoe or boot that Im wearing at that point in time . I take the wfao and trim the insole that came out of the shoe with the orthotics over the top of the insloe. I then put the small piece back in the shoe with the orthotic's. I also wear danner hiking boot . I hope this help's some one BB KID 8) 8) 8)

Offline ianmthy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 04:29:00 PM »
always stick to nike air max look great and a soft sole
ianmthy

Offline Carolyn2112

• Regular Poster
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me!
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2008, 05:32:51 PM »
My OS said Nike Shox as well.  Little pricey, but nikeid.com lets you customize, so I did that.  I am on pair 2 and I LOVE them.  =)
2/94 - Modified Hauser, Lat. release
10/96 - Removed surgical pin
9/03 - Debridement
5/05 - Fulkerson's
7/08 - Debridement, Scar tissue removal
2 rounds Synvisc - No help
PJFR Upcoming

x19Mark

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2009, 11:00:52 PM »
Hi, Moonbeam,

Check out Z-Coil Pain Relief Footwear. They're the strange-looking shoes whose heels are attached to coil springs! I'll bet that Z-Coil shoes are soft on knees. I'm going to check them out myself.

Take care,

Mark
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 11:03:06 PM by x19Mark »

x19mark

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2009, 09:59:18 PM »
Hi,

To my knowledge, Z-Coil Pain Relief Footware is available only in the United States--you can't buy Z-Coil shoes online.

Bye,

Mark

Offline michelel

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2009, 04:07:59 PM »
Kinda funky looking but I totally love my Alegrias
Right Knee:  1983 meniscal tear scope debridment &lateral release. 1991, 1997, 2001
2003 scope meniscal tears. 
8-08 MFX MFC lesion FAILED.
 4-09 Went in for OATS-not a canidate.
 6-09 Uni Right MFC.

Offline slyguy1

• Regular Poster
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2009, 04:14:24 PM »
Has anyone tried the z-coil shoes yet? I was debating to try them but waiting for my MBT to arrive....see how they feel. I am on my feet all day and i need relief...

Offline slyguy1

• Regular Poster
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2009, 04:34:11 AM »
Got a pair of MBTs and so far they are the most comfortable shoes i've ever had....it comes with a dvd explaining how they protect your joints...if you are on your feet long these are definitely worth it

support